Sitting Out

Y

Yankees5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i absolutely hate when people sit out..specially if your the only one that isnt sitting out cuz then you just end up sittin there for 30 min just goin around the table gettin the blinds..freerolls are kinda boring as it is you dont needa help it by not even playing..

i think its an exception if your chip leader or have alot of chips cuz your not really gonna play alot of hands anyway.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Free chips for me - willing to take them if I can.

If near the bubble some at my table are very shortstacked and near to

all-in I won't call everything - if there's someone else who will call them.

If in position though I'd want to see the flop - if cheap enough.

I'm not sitting out, I'm patient.

Steals on cutoff or button are easy even a miniraise-bluff may work

UTG/+1 once in a while if the table if the table is passive.

You may argue that I risk some chips but often it's just folded around to

you anyway.

Still first priority is reaching money, don't donk off chips to mediocre hands

be ready to fold all the time.

Sitting out won't win you any chips but you'll lose the blinds all the time.

If you choose to sit out, then do it in a point with solid chances of

reaching money.

Though it may be a strategy - it's not a very good one.
:boring:

S

smokkee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
minraise sitouts when folded to you, ez money.

V

vosachlo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
they play for 1 reason, to win money.

its not bad to sit out and advance more places for more money.

take their blinds.

no1 ever said they was good players

M

marysgirl883

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play money

I have found that even in play money people register and then they dont show up. So I can be at a table of 9 and there are only 6 real people playing. Why do people do that?

djrudeboy

djrudeboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is all part of the game...

just like the all in on with any 2 cards early in the game. the tighten up in the middle and the agressive action later on. you have to adjust your game. this is more pronounced in freerolls because people just dont really care, but it happens in live $300 buy ins as well. adapt and evolve or get crushed.

S

smokkee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a MTT with 2 tables left, i took down a huge pot that put me in the lead by almost double 2nd place's stack. Already ITM when we reached 5 tables a few hours earlier, i decided to sit out and eat something before the final table was formed. I figured that i'd be folding almost everything anyway.

i would rather stay in and continue to accumulate chips FTW. sitting out with a HUGE chiplead is a mistake IMO.

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's what I was going to say - sit outs tend not to defend their blinds very aggressively in my experience - you can raise a wide range of hands against them.

:D

What I don't like about sitouters is when pretty much all but two or three of your table sit out the entire tourney till they blind out.

Usually happens in a Stud or Razz tourney (which I play a lot). 3/4's of the field just abandons ship. I guess they thought it was a NLHE tourney and leave. It's like playing a final table for THE ENTIRE TOURNAMENT. Not very relaxing to have your stuff on overdrive for hours straight.

---

lightning36

lightning36

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are really lucky, you will be in a tournament with only one live player at your table -- you! This happened to me recently at a Cake Poker freeroll. I was clicking my mouse to raise as fast as I could before any new players came to the table. There were over 800 in the tourney, and I was hanging in in 15th place for some time. I guess 14 people at other tables were faster at raising than me. :)

Anyway, after taking everyone's blinds and then the blinds of new sitouts who replaced the sitouts who finally busted :D , I got another person at the table. He, unfortunately ran into my set of Queens and doubled me up, putting me into first place. :D

To make a long story short, I finished in 5th place and won $338.80! So ... if you are at a table with all sitouts, you have a great opportunity to build a stack which can take you far into a tournament. However, if you have two or three players and the rest sitouts, play is very difficult (like Capt. Zigzag said) unless the other players are extremely passive and let you continually raise and scoop all the blinds.

Last edited:
D

dbcooper972

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitting out is def -EV.

TY for your blinds if you do so.

I could understand doing so to try and coast up another jump in the prize pool.

S

sketchpad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate sitters and stallers but it seems to be a part of the game. so many people have a tiny br or none at all so its worth it for them to stall to make a dollar or two.
I don't play to just place, but that's me. You also don't want to sit somewhere for 3 hours and not make anything for your time

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
would u rather play against donkeys or pros?
i here it all the time.... some donk knocked me out...
of course i would rather lose my money to a pro then beat a donkey..lol

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time I am sitting is when I need a break before the scheduled break. But I do not sit out and sit there watchign others play. Players that do this are not confident enough with their own play to be able to hack it. At least play all premium hands and yours blinds. What good is it to advertise that you arent there?

D

dkee18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been watching this thread to see what other people think. Actually, I'm glad I began this thread because now I see that this might be a legitimate strategy. Sunday, I was playing a tourney and had a very nice chip count. I got distracted and called a bet I shouldn't have. If I had hit the sit out button, I would still be in the tournament. Also, I can now see that at bubble time (and I make that often enough), if your stack is correct, it might make sense to sit out. I will just add this into my strategy from now on and not let it annoy me.

L

leavem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I don't like sit-outs, people pay their entry and have the right to play or not the way they want. The same holds true for the people that use their entire time every hand, annoying as hell but within the players rights. Just try not to let this bother you, and especially don't let it affect the way you are playing.

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes dkee it is smart to sit out especially in a satelite and cruise into a win... if you know you cant lay down aa against a bigger stack for example ..knowing your own ability and weakness is half the battle

K

KLock7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing that really annoys me is when you're playing a cash game, and then someone decides they're just going to take the seat, but not put any $ on so it just reads "reserved". They take up a seat and turn a 9 person table to an 8, or even worse, a 6 into a 5! Why is this even allowed?

C

ChipSnake

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
While bothersome it can be exploited by all at the table. Simply playing more quickly forcing the blinds to come around and possibly stealing them from others at the table. At a final table I tried to convince 5 other players to share the proceeds of a player sitting out. I took the tourney and the player sitting out got second. I was po'd. I had to play about 30 hands to blind him out. I wish a rule existed where a player sits out more than 5 hands at a final table that he forfeits his chips that are divided up equally among the remaining players.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The same holds true for the people that use their entire time every hand, annoying as hell but within the players rights.

Actually, this is not the case. At many sites, such behaviour is frowned upon and you will be in trouble if your opponents complain to Support.

For example, bodog`s rules say:

"Players are asked to check the 'Sit Out Next Hand' box if they need attend to a matter away from their computer. This speeds up game play and prevents excessive wait times. ....... Players that intentionally slow down play will be warned and if such behavior continues may have their accounts suspended."

mjdavinci

mjdavinci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is a waste of time. Sure you can make money off of the sitters, but why do they even get involved in the tournament if they are not going to play. I mean they only hurt themself's. They do not get a chance to pick up on any one players style for later in the the event. And more times than I can count when they do re-enter the tournament they just play stupid poker trying to collect more chips, so they can sit out till they get in the money

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitters

Sitters only want to place if they do so at the end of tourneys or sit and go's. This is a good thing if you can play. You can pick up blinds and they usually will go crazy when they come back in. Frustrating yes, but $$$ rewarding as well

L

LP666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't complain about free chips!!!

yes sure is a little annoying but there are very few things better for example in a freeroll that having a table full of sitters... that has actually happened to me and is one of the best things that can happen cuz you increase your stack without actually having to play a hand

A-RAG

A-RAG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with stall tactics before the bubble as a short stack. You are playing to make money. The sit outs is an advantage for the sit ins.