To Show, or Not To Show

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are reffering to the statement I made I specified that this was in league games only. I play this I'll show you mine game if you'll show me yours so I can gather info about the other players style. I tend to only do it with or to the people I think are as good as me so I can get an advantage over them. That is as competitive as one can get. But your last two points are valid and if I see players doing that I get real annoyed. Unless it is my home game and the other player is my wife. There is a rule. If you bluff your wife you sleep on the couch. Unless, of course she doesn't find out. Same rule as extramarital sex.

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
FOLDEM

Nothing, I hate worse than to be short stacked have a descent hand, some one go all in and then show they bluffed with nothing. I think it is rude and mean. That I am not. So i dont generally show at all. But everyone plays differently. Just as everyone also has their own opinions. Foldem or show them it's your choice.:y: :D

A

ass_man0407

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I dont show any hand. Unless its to set up a move later on. Why give away information about the way you play.

F

feesh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
wow im going to have to disagree with a lot of you. Showing certain hands at certain times is absolutely critical. Its just a matter of which ones and when.

The more my opponents THINK they know about my style of play the more I have them right where I want them.

I cant count how many times ive gotten away with insane bluffs only because I had shown several winners.

neither can I count the times ive boosted the pot by 2 or 3 calls sittin on a nut flush simply because I had shown a couple of mediocre hands.

The best way to keep your opponents guessing is to give them only the information that leads them in the direction YOU want them to go, not by cutting them off completely. All that will do is make THEM that much more unpredictable.

S

sheffield16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
show or no show

online showing can help you in futire hands but showing in person just hurts!

C

Clyde1967

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
personally i like to try a few bluffs when playing ring games by raising when the pots are small or medium sized and if i win i like to show my cards.usually if i can pull this off a couple times it sticks in other players heads and they end up calling you later on bigger pots when you got the nuts cuz they think you are trying to steal it.tournaments i never show cards

-2222-

-2222-

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a bit like you RAILS because I want action on my big hands. I like to show 2 or 3 bluffs in a row to get em thinking that I'm looser than a panel on the Challenger Space Shuttle.

Then it's a great time to change gears. I find that people will give me lots of action and I pick up some real big pots and show em the nuts.

Then I change gears again and raise on hands like 9-3. If I'm lucky enough to to flop trips or 2 pair, I'll usually get the action I'm looking for and win some monster pots.

I busted a guy like that yesterday. I raised out of position with 4-7 and the flop came 3-5-6. No matter how much I bet, the guy couldn't put me on 4/7. At the (all-in) showdown, he turned over AA.

I like to play hands that others don't play figuring I can get some action and there is far less chance of us both lookin for the same cards eg, If I make my straight, I generally have the nuts. In a more traditional style of play, the card that gives me my straight could give the other guy a bigger straight or 2 pair only to devastate me on the River after sucking out a pair to make his boat.

My style is to change gears a lot and keep them guessing. It makes it very difficult for em to put me on a hand.

Showing my hands is the strategy I use to steal a lot of pots from the meek and to get the bold to stay in the hand when I am betting out.

I have tried playing tight all of the time and alls I seem to get out of it is either people folding around me all of the time or I get rivered or outkicked by 1 card a hell of a lot.

You don't see too many people getting beat with 2 pair 6s and 8s but you see truckloads getting completely busted with AQ vs AK.

R

Rails

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you're right -2222-, in order to truly "keep 'em guessing", your opponents have to "see" you play many different styles, and with many different types of starting hands. And, you're also right about playing seldom played cards. If you have any ace, and there are 3 or 4 people in the pot, what's the likelihood that ace is live? Probably not so much. You play 5 7 once in awile when there are several in the pot, you could be looking at a nice payout

D_russo88

D_russo88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I show good hands when everyone folds but if I'm bluffing I'll muck my cards or if I'm on bodog and one card looks good I'll just show one.

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow, this thread is over five years old. WTF.

Never show unless you have to.

end thread!

J

jmill

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,
In the SNG's I always show the nut hands, if i've shown 5 or 6 or even more good winning hands during the game I can usually get away with one good bluff a little later on as the other few players tend to think i'll only go when i've got the nuts.
Apart from this type of strategy I see no real reason for showing and this doesn't work every time for me anyway.
In our cardschat freerolls I don't mind showing as I thought we were all friends here anyway :)
Good luck all:)

Tony ( The Webmaster )

I do this ^^^. If i'm on a winning streak i don't mind showing my cards, but only for the reason that i know i'm going to bluff big later. And this is only something i do when i'm playing live, not online.

Misofer

Misofer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Logic says that you shouldn't be showing your hand because you're giving a lot of information about your playstyle thus giving advantage to the other players sitting on the table, there are certain situations when showing a hand (ex. a bluff) might help you, affecting the way other guys are playing against you in your favour.

When I'm playing with friends I usually always show my hand, that's just the way we play, I know is wrong... but well..

tami jo darling

tami jo darling

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am really not very good a complete LAG so I dnt wanna show a thing ..lol Gr8 blog ! ;)

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold every single one, unless playing with my mates. The more info the other players have about you the more they can put you on a hand accuratly.

I have the automuck clicked on every site I play on.

While it can be beneficial I win a lot of hands before going to the showdown and I use that to my advantage.

Me, too. Automuck is turned on, because I don't want to be even tempted to show. The only time I may want to show is if I get a Royal. :)

I sometimes wish I didn't have to show my winning hands, for that matter -- especially when a garbage hand hits hard. I don't want people to know I ever play garbage. It's vanishingly rare that I do! :D Premium hands most of the time, baby!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I show to players with skill..Respect is the key word here i think sometimes its the difference bettween lasting in a tourney and finishing without placing..[RESPECT].You figure out the amatures fast enough.Just my views and current attitude towards those leet players out there and trust me theirs heaps of them..

17Fabrizio17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think never showing your cards is generally good for everyone because showing your cards will affect how your opponent will play against you and you will have to change your strategy according to that.
On some online pokerrooms you have the option to show one or two cards at the end of a hold'em hand if you decide to voluntarily show cards that you could also muck. These sites are still the minority though.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't close this thread, it needs a large enough sample to give a reliable answer. I never show my cards, I have auto-muck on all the time. I also do not do that rabbit thing that shows what the cards would have been, because the opponents can also see your hand this way. Nope, treat your fellow players just like you would treat your wife, the less they know the better. Oops, did I say that??? :D

buzzmania

buzzmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on what im playing sng ,1 table etc. In a donkfest freeroll sometimes early i will just to use it to my advantage.But mostly no i dont.

S

santa fe slim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold 'em 90% of the time. Only show when I want to build a certain image and don't do that very often. Generally better to leave 'em guessing, imho.

Toast

Toast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never show ... keeps them guessing.;)

T

Trimming1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
show or not to show

Hi all,
In the SNG's I always show the nut hands, if i've shown 5 or 6 or even more good winning hands during the game I can usually get away with one good bluff a little later on as the other few players tend to think i'll only go when i've got the nuts.
Apart from this type of strategy I see no real reason for showing and this doesn't work every time for me anyway.
In our cardschat freerolls I don't mind showing as I thought we were all friends here anyway :)
Good luck all:)

Tony ( The Webmaster )
Hi tony ! I tend to agree with your approch to this,as I use it in live as well as on-line tournement play.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never show ... keeps them guessing.;)

unless your at my table then it's fine to show. i love when people show cards. they show me 34o and ill rember how they came into the hand(raise,limp) then they wonder why i start to raise there bets and limps. any info a player give are all tracked on software. so you dont have any idea how many players are getting free info on how you play. but in all honesty you should never really show a hand. also pending what stakes you play dont over estimate how your play will effect other play. at the lower stakes players dont adjust well if at all.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just my personal thought, I never show. Why give away free info.
Take care