Shouldn't a poker coach be a tax write-off??

P

poker d player

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think that if you are paying taxes on your earnings you should be able to write it off. Go consult with a tax attorney and and an accountant .... maybe you can write that off too.

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
and what makes you think that English is not considered a foreign language in some parts of the world?
The guy said "that would involve learning a new language" (in English). Obv its a foreign language in some parts but I was talking to him.
Edit: Sorry that was you lol

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good news! Jamie has agreed to write an article for us. She is going to divide it into 2 sections - one for filing as a pro gambler and one for filing as an amateur.

Hope to have it posted by this weekend - should be some good helpful stuff for us!

Thanks for making this thread ovitoo - it gave me the idea to ask her to do this.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good news! Jamie has agreed to write an article for us. She is going to divide it into 2 sections - one for filing as a pro gambler and one for filing as an amateur.

Hope to have it posted by this weekend - should be some good helpful stuff for us!

Thanks for making this thread ovitoo - it gave me the idea to ask her to do this.

Oh how wonderful--please give her our thanks!

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice!

(then most of us will continue to do it the easy way, not the legal way ;))

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

That's awesome Dakota...what a result. Can't wait for this info. Thank you and your friend.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Will be a very nice piece for CC and helpful in what is an extremely tricky situation for any US Player, pro filer or just regular.

Anyone who makes substantial income from poker (or hits a big tourny) should also consult a CPA with gambling/Poker experience (not just a normal CPA). Cause the US just screws gamblers big time :(

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From what I understand it's just what you make most of your income at. For example if you have a job making 60k/yr and make 5k from poker they'll have a hard time buying that you're a pro poker player. However if you made 50k from poker with the same 60k/yr job it gets a lot blurrier as you could conceivably treat either one as your "job".

Also only the positives are being discussed here of filing as a pro. Certainly if you spend money on coaching/training sites/books/poker-related travel/etc. that's a positive, but the biggest negative I know of is the self-employment tax, which essentially stems from the fact that you don't have an employer matching your 7.5% I believe it is social security contribution. If poker is just a hobby you don't have to pay that extra 7.5% but as soon as you file as a pro you do. I'm not sure how it works if you have poker as your main source of income but also have some part-time work where an employer pays you. Hopefully the article being written/posted will address that, but just make sure you don't file as a pro to save your $100 you spent on a coach and the $30/month you spend on a training site just to end up having to pay an extra 2k in taxes due to the self-employment tax.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Government double standards.

You can only write off expenses if you are professional,

But you will still be taxed if you are not professional.

UK Government isn't any better though, professionals can't even offset some professional expenses against tax but the politicians actually get paid those expenses by the taxpayers.
Like London Borough MPs claiming for second properties in the city, while professionals from hundreds of miles away have to pay for the same with their personal after tax money even when its sole purpose is for working in the location. And of course the most ridiculous moat cleaning expense.

Double standards, you gotta hate them.

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Government double standards.

You can only write off expenses if you are professional,

But you will still be taxed if you are not professional.

UK Government isn't any better though, professionals can't even offset some professional expenses against tax but the politicians actually get paid those expenses by the taxpayers.
Like London Borough MPs claiming for second properties in the city, while professionals from hundreds of miles away have to pay for the same with their personal after tax money even when its sole purpose is for working in the location. And of course the most ridiculous moat cleaning expense.

Double standards, you gotta hate them.
While I think it is obvious that you must be a profressional in order for a coach to be a "business expense". I think that the gray area is defining what a professional is, as viewed by the government. As far the poker world is concerned (or maybe just my opinion) a professional play is backed by a sponser or in some cases just a consistent HIGH stakes player. As far the govt is concerned though, I think the term "professional" is simply defined by your profession. So if you're main source of income is poker than I think you would fall in that category. So a guy with no job that grinds 10nl for 10hrs a day would most likely fit the govt's criteria for professional. Or someone like me who works part-time (just to minimize the effect buy-ins have on my br) and plays 10-hr sessions daily should apply. BUT, a great point that is brought up, by claiming something like a coach as a "business expense" you're also registering yourself as a pro and are obligated to pay taxes on any/all wins (regardless of how much you lost before any game). I kno this is required of all wins over a certain amount regardless. But if anyone says that they would walk out of a 1-2 home game up 800$ and then send in a piece for the IRS, I would have to call bs.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slight delay in article but we will get it next week!

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Slight delay in article but we will get it next week!
No worries. Take your time. It's fun to see the different opinions of everyone. Then you get to come in and drop the bomb lol.
Also saw your thread selling action for the upcoming events in AC. Unfortunately I was not a member at the time of sale. Ill have to get in there next time. But yea great job this year from what it sounds like. GOOD LUCK IN AC!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No worries. Take your time. It's fun to see the different opinions of everyone. Then you get to come in and drop the bomb lol.
Also saw your thread selling action for the upcoming events in AC. Unfortunately I was not a member at the time of sale. Ill have to get in there next time. But yea great job this year from what it sounds like. GOOD LUCK IN AC!

Thanks! Will have another one posted when I get back from that one.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to be a poker pro, all you need to do is put it on your tax form as your profession, and keep all the proper records.

Nobody can tell you what you do for a living. Even if your a 20 year looser, it still applies.

-

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to be a poker pro, all you need to do is put it on your tax form as your profession, and keep all the proper records.

Nobody can tell you what you do for a living. Even if your a 20 year looser, it still applies.

-

Ummmm...no. At least I don't think so. If you can't show any winnings from poker, let alone consistant winnings then how are you gonna tell the IRS that you support yourself? If you aren't using poker to support yourself, you're not a poker pro. Sorry.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ummmm...no. At least I don't think so. If you can't show any winnings from poker, let alone consistant winnings then how are you gonna tell the IRS that you support yourself? If you aren't using poker to support yourself, you're not a poker pro. Sorry.

If you own a consulting business that looses money every year, how you gonna prove you run a consulting service?

The short answer is. The gobment doesn't care what you do for a living. Even if it looses money. All they care about is their share when you do make money.

Nobody can tell you what you do for a living. No matter how good or bad.

-

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmmm....Ok.....Maybe. but I seem to remember reading somewhere a long time ago that this was pretty close to the way it works for declaring yourself a poker professional....

From what I have read, there is no "definition". The IRS makes the determination on a case by case basis, but the bar is pretty high. According to the IRS "Like any other taxpayer, a gambler has the burden of proving that his activities rise to the level of a trade or business."

Reading the cases are tortuous, but if you are not engaged in gambling primarily full time and it is not your primary source of income and you don't have substantial per session records, it seems unlikely the IRS will buy that you are a professional gambler. Just my opinion, of course, don't want to get arrested for giving tax advice.

And if you are considered a professional and profitable, the downside appears to be that you have to pay self-employment tax of 13.3% for 2012 (10.4% for Social Security and 2.9% for Medicare).

Really looking forward to the input from Dax's friend on this matter....

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can put anything you want on your tax form as a Profession, but the IRS (or the Tax Court if you have the funds to chase this option) will determine if they allow what you put, no matter what you think.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can put anything you want on your tax form as a Profession, but the IRS (or the Tax Court if you have the funds to chase this option) will determine if they allow what you put, no matter what you think.

You must do MORE than simply list Professional Poker Player on the IRS Form for it to actually be accepted. You have to meet a number of criteria and the burden of proof for doing so is on the filer. The IRS seems to challenge people's professional gambler status frequently.

The good news is The Department of Labor does officially recognize Poker as a Profession (Professional Poker Player) Therefore, Professional Poker Player is established as a legitimate defined and codified vocation by local, state and federal jurisdictions.

Last I saw, Professional Poker Player was given a vocation code (Standard Occupational Classification Code) of #27-2099 (Entertainers and Performers, Sports and Related Workers, All Other). It should be noted that Professional Poker Player is not a Professional Gambler for tax filing or in any other similarity to gambling.

If you do file as a Professional Poker Player you will also have to pay the 'employment taxes' (Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes) and file quarterly for estimated tax payments.

If anyone has interest in filing as a professional, I am sure your accountant will show you the taxes for the 1st year you intend to do so on a Professional v Non-Professional basis. I know several Pros that went with 'Non-Pro' status because the Pro Tax rate ended up being much higher than Non-Pro even with deductions.

The following is a short definition and an article which is a good read dealing with taxes and poker.

Understanding Poker, Taxes, and Staking
In this article, we offer an overview of what poker players, at a minimum, need to know about their tax liabilities.

http://www.onlinepokerfaq.com/guide/tax-professional.html
It is possible to file as a professional poker player. As a professional, you can claim your net win as business income using Schedule C. This avoids all the costly problems caused by adding gross wins to your income and then deducting losses later. Also, a professional poker player may be able to classify as a business expense certain costs incurred as part of his professional activity. For offline players this is typically travel expenses; an online player could make a reasonable argument that reliable high-speed internet access and money transfer fees are costs of doing business.

The catch is that the IRS holds professional gamblers to a very high standard. If you have other sources of substantial income, or if you haven't posted wins for the last several years running, there is a good chance that the IRS will reject your claim of being a professional. Even if they accept your status, they may deny your expenses or consider your records to be deficient.

Another negative to filing as a professional is that you must pay 15% self-employment tax on your profits. This might be reduced if you are also employed in a regular job, but then your case for being a professional is weaker.

A good reference on filing your taxes as a professional gambler is the recent book Tax Help for the Frugal Gambler by Marissa Chien and Jean Scott.

Last edited:
JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must do MORE than simply list Professional Poker Player on the IRS Form for it to actually be accepted. You have to meet a number of criteria and the burden of proof for doing so is on the filer. The IRS seems to challenge people's professional gambler status frequently.

The good news is The Department of Labor does officially recognize Poker as a Profession (Professional Poker Player) Therefore, Professional Poker Player is established as a legitimate defined and codified vocation by local, state and federal jurisdictions.

Last I saw, Professional Poker Player was given a vocation code (Standard Occupational Classification Code) of #27-2099 (Entertainers and Performers, Sports and Related Workers, All Other). It should be noted that Professional Poker Player is not a Professional Gambler for tax filing or in any other similarity to gambling.

If you do file as a Professional Poker Player you will also have to pay the 'employment taxes' (Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes) and file quarterly for estimated tax payments.

-

Yep.

-

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...The catch is that the IRS holds professional gamblers to a very high standard. If you have other sources of substantial income, or if you haven't posted wins for the last several years running, there is a good chance that the IRS will reject your claim of being a professional. Even if they accept your status, they may deny your expenses or consider your records to be deficient...

Well, JSG, it's funny how we can go 'round and 'round on this and still disagree, but I'll just point out that this bit that WEC posted is more in line with what I was saying. Don't really know why this is that interesting to me, tbh, since I'm clearly far, FAR from a "pro":p .