Should poker be in the olympics?

subaru16162

subaru16162

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I saw a thread mostly poised to this question. But want people direct opinions on wether they think poker should be in the olympics and if you consider it a sport.

Too me it’s a game and not a sport and certainly shouldn’t be in the Olympics. Mostly because I feel there’s too much luck variance in poker. Olympics is something about being the best. But you don’t have to be the best at all to win a poker tournament.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
That's why exist the olympic of mind... and poker was there.
(Lucky on poker is good, but not so profitable in a long run... you can be lucky and never win nothing... or you can be skilled and win many)

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In no case. Poker is NOT a sport

hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In general, I believe that we should hold an Olympiad in intellectual games, such as chess, poker, backgammon and so on. No matter what anyone says, these types of games are very different from regular sports and cannot be compared. Now there are alternatives, such as the world series of poker, both online and live, and these are quite serious competitions. Tournaments are held where teams from different countries take part, and the prizes in these tournaments are usually money, a cup and medals. So it can be considered a kind of Olympics.

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
My opinion is that poker is not a sport, but a gambling game. There are a lot of unexpected elements of the game in poker where little depends on you. I wouldn't be interested, the Olympics is still a competition of people, not randomness and probability.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion poker shouldn't be an Olympic event, but I think breakdancing also shouldn't ever be on Olympics. I think every host city add a popular sport in their Olympic edition, so, I think it would not be an absurd if poker was an event on 2028 Olympics, that is going to be on US.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think poker is a sport, it's a game of luck.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is part of every sport. So... Maybe yes.

JetmirDulja

JetmirDulja

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
nah i dont think it should be on the olympics ... its a cool way to spend our time its competitive for us that play the game but thats all ... its not that kind of a sport .

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will be mistaken when you write that you do not need to be the best in poker to win. This topic was not raised on the forum for the first time. I found such statements about the presence of poker at the Olympic Games: by this time, the IFMP seeks to include a card game in a test event in Paris in 2024 and, of course, they certainly seek to get to the Olympic Games in Los -Angeles in 2028.

The 2016 Olympic Games have already held a historical moment for the poker community. A professional player in poker and member of the pokerstars team, Brazilian Andre Akkari, was elected a torch at the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Ganero. This can only be a matter of time when poker becomes Olympic.
Even the billiard claim their place at the Olympic Games.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I saw a thread mostly poised to this question. But want people direct opinions on wether they think poker should be in the olympics and if you consider it a sport.

Too me it’s a game and not a sport and certainly shouldn’t be in the Olympics. Mostly because I feel there’s too much luck variance in poker. Olympics is something about being the best. But you don’t have to be the best at all to win a poker tournament.
Well said. If poker deserves to be in the olympics, it would have been inducted long time ago. I believe nothing will change.

Last edited:
airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Poker is poker, I mean it's unique... It doesn't belong in the Olympics.

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
On my opinion such entertainments like poker, chess don't belong to sport category. So these are not Olympic.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, I think no because is not a sport and it’s depends of luck.

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It would be wonderful to be in an Olympics as a poker player but in what you say you are right many times win who is not better luck will take its part

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Poker is not a sport) If you like this game, it doesn't mean that it should be everywhere :)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
No, he can't be there because there's such a thing that luck decides a lot of percent so he won't be included in the Olympics no matter how much I want to, but it won't happen so we can all forget about it together, but only if in the future when we're old

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
A counter question to which Olympiad should poker be included in, winter or summer? It's a joke. And so, poker is not for the Olympic Games, it will not be there.

ramorleans

ramorleans

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Variance and luck is a big factor in Poker so I don't think we can include it in Olympics.

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL... Card games are not a sport. So, you definitely will not see Poker in the Olympics. That's funny though- thanks for the laugh 😅. I believe that wsop is as close as you will get.

lifecoach22

lifecoach22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it will be a cool experiment, but it will be hard to translate it into reality

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The inclusion of poker in the Olympics is a topic of debate and there are valid arguments both for and against it.

Arguments in favor of including poker in the Olympics:

1. Skill-Based Game: Poker is often considered a game of skill rather than pure chance. It requires strategic thinking, psychological analysis, risk assessment, and decision-making abilities. Including a game that emphasizes skill in the Olympics can showcase a different aspect of competition.
  2. Global Appeal: Poker is a widely recognized and popular game played by millions of people worldwide. Its inclusion in the Olympics could attract a diverse and enthusiastic audience, potentially expanding the appeal of the Games and reaching a new demographic.
  3. Sporting Elements: Poker tournaments can be physically and mentally demanding, with players enduring long hours of intense concentration and endurance. The mental fortitude, discipline, and resilience required in poker align with the qualities celebrated in traditional Olympic sports.
Arguments against including poker in the Olympics:

1. Lack of Physicality: Unlike traditional Olympic sports, poker does not involve physical exertion or athleticism. Critics argue that the Olympics should focus on showcasing physical prowess and athletic achievements, rather than mental games.
  2. Gambling Association: Poker is closely associated with gambling, which raises concerns regarding the ethics and integrity of the Olympic Games. Gambling-related issues, such as addiction and cheating, could overshadow the positive aspects of the event and the reputation of the Olympics as a whole.
  3. Difficulty in Standardization: Poker comes in various formats, such as Texas Hold'em, Omaha, and Stud. Determining a standardized format for Olympic poker and establishing fair rules and regulations could be challenging due to the different variations and regional preferences.
  4. Existing Poker Championships: There are already numerous prestigious poker tournaments, such as the World Series of Poker (WSOP) and the European Poker Tour (EPT), which have their own established platforms and recognition. Some argue that the Olympics might not be necessary as poker already has its own global stage.
Ultimately, whether poker should be included in the Olympics is a subjective matter that depends on one's perspective and the goals of the Olympic movement. While poker possesses certain characteristics that align with Olympic values, the decision to include it would require careful consideration of the game's nature, its potential impact on the Olympic image, and the overall direction and purpose of the Games.

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think not, since it is not a physical game, and as we all know there is a % of luck