Should Doyle retire?

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's a crafty old veteran. Look at his record over time. I think even in the HSP game you refer to, he left the table as a winner. He played very cautiously but so what? Maybe he didn't feel like gambling that day. Retire? Maybe he should step up his schedule to get a piece of the "young gun" money!

adsthepro123

adsthepro123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle Brunson

i saw a post saying, should Doyle retire?
what a thing to say, this is the time where he is probably going to be at his best because of his experience of the game and his knowledge that he has built up and learnt over the years.
It is not like poker is a physical sport that he is unable to do.
The only thing that would make you have to retire from poker is because it was too stressful.
however i just want to say that i do not want to retire from poker and never will.

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hes still a great player and he loves the game so why should he retire?
I hope hes still playing when hes 90.

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I kinda doubt your opinion of his abilities matters to him.

The man is a whiz at poker and, for the first time in his life, he is a celebrity for playing a game that, in his youth, was very hardscrabble, back-alley, dangerous, illegal and not respectable. He is on TV, people know him, people admire him, he makes money from that both directly and indirectly. He's clearly enjoying it. He seems to still be doing well at high stakes -- although one never knows for sure. Many known pros have gone bust at times. He may not want to go there again.

The only reason for retiring from, say, grueling tournaments is his health. My guess is that he gets staked to most tourneys, but, dang, they are long and hard. And, for many pros, the tourneys take time away from the cash tables where they make their money. (The plus to tourneys is that, aside from the cash, if you win a big one or a few big ones you can possibly get sponsor deals and outside-poker income. And you get the extras that come with poker fame, however shaky that might be. Doyle already has those things, and his name is a draw so will likely keep getting those things as long as he wants.)

My guess is that Mr. Brunson will be playing until he physically cannot do it any more. Hats off to him, and long may he reign.

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pure and simple, I think that is Doyle's decision and we shouldn't be making it for him. Without poker he has no reason to live.

LaMinaccia

LaMinaccia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle is one of the major faces of poker and we need him around till he can't play the game any more but I still want to see him in a Western with Clint Eastwood some day.

A

Anteman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hehe he retired from a week i read in a paper today.Apparently he promised to dont play poker for the rest of the year last year.good for him it was only 7 days left... :)

pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i saw a post saying, should Doyle retire?
what a thing to say, this is the time where he is probably going to be at his best because of his experience of the game and his knowledge that he has built up and learnt over the years.
It is not like poker is a physical sport that he is unable to do.
The only thing that would make you have to retire from poker is because it was too stressful.
however i just want to say that i do not want to retire from poker and never will.

Reply in the original thread - don't bother starting a new one :)

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
doyle will never stop playing the game.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Im not talking about stop playing side games. Thats just what anyone does in their spare time anyways. I'm talking about tourneys and being on HSP. He was wrong on all of his reads on HSP and was laying down hands that ANYONE would play If you're there to gamble. (pocket 10s)

Hes great for the game and should do a few app here and there. Give the younger gen a chance to understand who this great man is. The truth is, some people dont want to read poker books and will never know how important Super System is. But to hear Doyle talk and share some of his experiences with people would be a very cool thing to do. IMO

Personally I don't think Doyle's commentary would be that great (just a feeling). Secondly.... SuperSystem ... how important SuperSystem 'was' imo... not 'is'. Thirdly.. unless Doyle's full of shit when he says in preview blip on PAD... about you're never too old to stop playing << wtf is that saying again?... you guys know the one I'm referring to... I just can't think of it atm. Whatever it is..... Doyle quitting playing would be contrary to what he expresses are his beliefs. I've heard that he's still travelling and playing the odd tourney here & there (although I haven't read his blog in ages).

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Personally I don't think Doyle's commentary would be that great (just a feeling). Secondly.... SuperSystem ... how important SuperSystem 'was' imo... not 'is'. Thirdly.. unless Doyle's full of shit when he says in preview blip on PAD... about you're never too old to stop playing << wtf is that saying again?... you guys know the one I'm referring to... I just can't think of it atm. Whatever it is..... Doyle quitting playing would be contrary to what he expresses are his beliefs. I've heard that he's still travelling and playing the odd tourney here & there (although I haven't read his blog in ages).

YouTube- Poker After Dark Intro

Doyle Brunson is the Confucius of poker.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you kidding me?? Doyle is a legend. He'll drop dead on the felt.

"We don't stop playing poker when we get old-we get old when we stop playing poker."-Doyle Brunson

CerberAcE

CerberAcE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I doubt he'll ever stop.

I dont think hes very entertaining to watch these days. He plays pretty nitty from what iv seen on HSP, only being aggressive with AA and KK. Maybe im being harsh, i suppose we're only seeing a fraction of the hands played.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can see why you would think he should retire, to lend a great helping hand in the booth. I always enjoyed watching Phil Gordon in the booth, just imagine if Doyle Brunson was in the booth. Talk about getting a great insight into the minds of players.
I think he has proven himself enough, the long tourneys are grueling. You can see how they are taking a toll on him. I do think he should do what he wants. I don't think he would be happy fishing instead of playing, so..

Steves22

Steves22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you can really retire from something that you love as much as he probably loves the game of poker. Being around his poker buddies and sitting at the table as he has done for years is just a part of him by now. No reason to retire he should keep playing for as long as he can make it to the table. He wouldn't know what to do if he stopped playing probably. I'm sure he is happy just to be in it and around it no matter how many steps he has lost in the game. He likes the competition, the gambling, and the game.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its obvious how doyle will die. He'll get a royal flush and his heart will give out. His life will be complete... I wonder how many royal flushes doyle has made?

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see why you would think he should retire, to lend a great helping hand in the booth. I always enjoyed watching Phil Gordon in the booth, just imagine if Doyle Brunson was in the booth. Talk about getting a great insight into the minds of players.
I think he has proven himself enough, the long tourneys are grueling. You can see how they are taking a toll on him. I do think he should do what he wants. I don't think he would be happy fishing instead of playing, so..

I think he'd rather go golfing.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its obvious how doyle will die. He'll get a royal flush and his heart will give out. His life will be complete... I wonder how many royal flushes doyle has made?

I think his life would be complete if he wins another Main event bracelet.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doyle can fold pocket T's if he wants, I mean it's just a pair? I did not see it happen, but I am sure he has his reasons. He should stop playing poker if he wants, but only if he wants to, not because other people think he is old or should. My step grandfather taught me and my cousins the diffrent variants of poker when we were little kids, and he was over 80. The nly thing tht would get on my nerves was it takes so long for the elderly to deal.... but these days they have dealers and dealing machines and whatnot. So I don't think Doyle has that problem, as long as he still has his mind I believe he will still have his game. And yeah, alot of people retire and devote there time to golf, fishing, poker or watever their passion is. Doyle's passion is obviously poker, so he has no need to retire. He lives his dream.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I don't think he should retire,,, he loves the game. Maybe he is trying to adjust to the " young guns " style game. Maybe big tournys would be to much for him, speaking about endurance. I'm 64 years old and I know if I couldn't play I'd wither on the vine,,LOL.
Ya'll take care now.

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From what i've seen Doyle is agressive and isn't a tight player all the time.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Are you kidding me?? Doyle is a legend. He'll drop dead on the felt.

"We don't stop playing poker when we get old-we get old when we stop playing poker."-Doyle Brunson

Yah.. Yah.... that ^ is the one I was referring to!

J

juhi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
He should continue playing as long as he can and he wants...
As playing poker is passion and fun for him...
And if the news of Anteman is correct then..what can I say?