Scene from "High Roller:The Stu Unger Story"

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has any of you seen the movie "High Roller: The Stu Unger Story?" S Not bad but not great since it focus more on his life in general than poker. Anyway, the movie doesn't show much scenes at the poker tables but there was this one scene I found interesting.

One of the players on Stu Unger's table (let's call him Player A) had 2s, 7s and placed a decent sized bet. The other player had pocket Kings (let's call him Player B) so he raised the bet. Player A calmly says as he calls "You don't want to do that." Player B says "Deal the cards." The flop comes up 7c, 3d, 3h. Player A makes a bigger bet and Player B raises it. Player A calls. The turn is a 2c. Player A bets a huge amount saying "That did it, 20,000." Player B says "You have Pocket Aces." Player A says "No, I don't. But, I'll tell you what, you give me one of those black chips ($500 chip) and you get to see one of my cards." Player B is skeptical but gives one to him and picks a card. It's the 2s. Player B is angry saying "You have a 3 with it! You got a full house! Lucky bastard! Player B takes the rest of his chips and leaves. One player ont he table says "Nice draw." Player A says "Not really" and shows his other card. The other players look in amzement. One player says "It wouldn't have mattered which card it was!"

The movie is avaiable on DVD is you're interested.

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny scene. I have the DVD and actually liked the movie. Some others here didn't like it, but to each his own. If you're looking for a big budget blockbuster it isn't for you, but a decent look into the self destruction and comeback of one of pokers greatest minds ever was the interesting part to me. And as good as Ungar was at poker, he was 10,000 times better at Gin Rummy.

My favorite scene in the movie was when he called out Pat Morita's charactar's Gin hand after 3 discards.

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should buy the book about him by nolan dalla is a great read

A

AceofKings

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that story is a real life story used in the wsop way back when, ill find a reference and drop a link here

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually there was one diamond of a poker lesson in that movie. Refering to tournament poker if you have chance to take a guy out you take it!

G

GivPeace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lil information on that scene when he flips over the card to show the 2 player B does not think the other one is a 3 he thinks its a 2. He believed player A allowed him to flip over any1 of his two cards because they were both the same..such a great play

V

Virv

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bought this movie awhile ago, back when I wasn't really into poker but kind of getting into it. At the time I didn't like it too much, but decided to watch it again two weeks ago and I enjoyed it a lot more than the first time. Yeah that scene is really good with the 2 7 vs KK. But like you all said, this movie is based more in his life and the struggles he was going through and not so much poker.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw it during the dinner break at this years ME FT. Pretty good doc, but I'll never read the book..

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Actually there was one diamond of a poker lesson in that movie. Refering to tournament poker if you have chance to take a guy out you take it!

Great point... That lesson works very well when executed properly

By the way, xdmadmanx......... Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to read your posts esp. since I just woke up? Your avartar kept causing involunetary change where my eyes focused :D

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a "borrowed" story of a bluff that Jack Strauss actually made. The character making the move in the movie is an amalgamation of TJ Cloutier and Doyle Brunson (and others, like Strauss)-- supposed to be the "established poker community" in general, and how they tried to help SU: Brunson actually paid for rehab (as suggested, get the Dalla book!) at one point.

C

chink44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can anyone find this online at all?

A

Adamaniac

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The book is a good, easy read for anyone who hasn't read it. I was amazed at not only Stu's talent for cards but also how massive his self destructive streak was. It seems it wasn't the thrill of the win but the thrill of chasing the win that he was after. Highly recommend the book though.