Remaining focussed online

D

Dantigua

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys,

Seems everytime I am playing a cash game online I build up a decent bank... maybe double my buy in.... but end up losing all to calls and raises I should not make.

My problem is distraction...... anyone out there who was previously easily distracted by... the net, messengers, facebook, TV, etc and turned it around and is now playing online and remaining focussed?

I never have this problem live because I am always watching the players, their bets etc to pick up valuable information.

What did u do and is it working?

Z

zzzaacckk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Either fill your screen with tables (in which case you wont have time) or try just once you double your buyin leave the table until you improve your focus.

riffpoker

riffpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go back to playing live more often. I've found that not only is my focus much better live but my ROI is much higher when facing live players. :D

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do a combination of filling the screen up with a couple tables and completely clearing my screen of everything else. Turn off AIM, close Firefox, no Youtube, nothing. When it is poker time, I make sure there is nothing except for poker. About the only time that I really have anything else going on in the background would be if I am in a forum conversation on CC or 2+2, which I guess is okay sometimes because it is still poker afterall.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started online, it was MTT's only. After getting distracted, I found I was making mistakes and losing. That alone was cause enough for me to pay attention and not get distracted.

Distracted equalled losing. That didn't sit well. Now I pay attention.

DenisXS

DenisXS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my rule for cash games is when i double up - i leave and enter another table. If i have more than 3 losing streaks - i have a break so i could calm down.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turn off messenger, Dont load IE. Take the TV out of the room. .. make it a rule that you MUST stop playing poker if you want to use the computer for anything else. Also maybe schedule in some breaks. Treat it like an endurance activity and build up your stamina. Learn to play for a set period of time before taking a break and slowly increase that period of time as your stamina increases.

E

el8ed

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although I try not to play when I know I'll be distracted. Sometimes it's inevitable. I myself find I male most of my mistakes immediately following a distraction. Let poker be your distraction from everything else lol :)

G

gadgetfiddler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
turn off the tv, unless you like the background noise and you can hear it without listening to what you're hearing or looking at the television. most definitely unplug the phone and/or turn off your cell. i've made more bad plays when someone calls me than at anyother time. if you listen to music pick something instrumental, someone singing can be a distraction but music alone can help you to get in the zone and stay there longer. I like to listen to Sounds From The Ground and similar sounding ambient electronica music.

HousesoftheHoly78

HousesoftheHoly78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can double up, and then lose it. How are you keeping your attention to double up? Whatever you do to double up, then you need to keep doing that after you double up. I would double up and get out, if you can't win anymore after doubling up. One good key to being focused is to be patient. Easier said than done, but you have to en order to make it. Make sure your playing somewhere in an environment that you feel relaxed and no distractions. Eat a good meal before playing. Your brain needs food as well. Sit in a comfortable chair. All these things can help to keep you focused.

E

el8ed

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Housesoftheholy I agree with everything you said, but can I steal your sig, LOL I so feel you ok that too.

TrashmanAce

TrashmanAce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Distractions around the house when playing online poker is a killer for me. I can't keep my mind on the plays people are making and tendencies the have when my kids or wife are in and out or needing something from me. I never play for cash when I can't get the privacy I need to play...

A

aceup21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

I end up doing the same thing, watching tv mostly. The bigscreen sitting beside the computer doesnt help any. If im playing a descent size tournament, i will definately turn everything off except maby the radio
thats really improved my play. staying focussed is key in poker i have learned.

W

WolfShadow

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the TV doesnt bother me at all , but when I have the IM up and in type mode and not using the mike or webcam Its very distracting, and lots of times when I'm tryin to respond to an IM itg ends up in my pokerroom chat , then I have to re-type the mess to my friend , and send a " oops wrong table to the pokerroom"

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's really all about discipline.

In my case, and many others as well, I think bumping up the number of tables helps alot. If you play enough cash tables you simply don't have time to even think about doing anything else.

You have to not open up a browser, IM, etc etc etc... That's just discipline.

I'm pretty weak on this but I also think it's a good idea to not do things like constantly check the cashier in the middle of your session also.

If you find yourself constantly fooling with other stuff it might be time to stop for awhile or for the day.

D

Dantigua

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks... lots of great advice... funny i always say... double up then leave but don't.... that has been cemented in my mind now.

I love your advice Stu.... build up sessions is truly a great idea and i will begin that from my next session.

funny tournaments i don't have a problem focussing... i guess its the ko factor.

but thanks all for your responses

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could buy and use a white noise generator. these cover most other noise so that there is not a recognizable sound. this helps my focus. Cannot hear traffic or the dogs. You can buy them at most high end commerical furniture suppliers.