• Thread starter Robert Krawczak
  • Start date
jaimestaples

jaimestaples

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Parents are results oriented and risk averse which are the opposite of how you need to think in poker. Acceptance (and eventually them being proud) came with time. The generation before really loves security ;)

R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Parents are results oriented and risk averse which are the opposite of how you need to think in poker. Acceptance (and eventually them being proud) came with time. The generation before really loves security ;)

You are talking generally about parents but I think you are spot on on how my parents think. I had some minor succes and achievements and I can see as the money comes, so does thier opinion change. They just think poker is way for you to lose money and get addicted to gambling.

J

Jojo56789

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mine are quite supportive. They know it's a game of skill and it's not all luck.
Fortunately I didn't have to explain it quite a lot, they were quite open to ideas like these.

It's not my main income, though

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm 21 and haven't told my parents yet. I've only been playing for under a year and it's not having any adverse affect on my life so I don't really feel the need. I'm not sure what their opinion would be... I'm guessing their opinion would largely depend upon how much money I'm risking. They're okay with me blowing $20 at the pokies, but they might think that 200NL is too much for me to be risking, even if I'm playing a +EV game.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure my wife would rather I spend my time doing something more productive, but she doesn't hassle me.

L

Lexxx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you start to book some significant wins and have a good record people will be supportive or they will start hate in on you when I lived at home my dad would give me shit about reading poker books and watching vids on the game but I got better and when I started buying my girl friend diamond rings and booking 7 day cruises he started hating me even more lol **** him as for my friends i could care less I guess it doesn't really matter if their supportive if I'm interested in something I don't need anyone's approval to do what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That´s my man! I stick with you!!!

tilan501

tilan501

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My family is afraid I give up of studies and just play poker! hahaha

B

babaji

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My whole family was brought up playing poker, back in the 70s, 80s we played 5 Card Draw. We also played Manila which was a favourite of mine.

arborest

arborest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My parents dont care, but my gf is sometimes mad :D

H

hammersc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I am encouraging my uncle to play poker online , then discovered that the holdem poker play before , and hopefully enter this fantastic world

Z

zkel1980

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My family doesn't like the idea of me playing poker at all. Even though I don't spend much on depositing, they think i spend too much time thinking about it, reading, playing sessions for 3-4 hours etc. I am 21 years old, a student, living with my parents. Any of you is or has been in the same situation ?

I'd love to be in your position and discover poker again at that time without family, work commitments. I could study it wholly and become the best I can be. Honestly believe if I had the time to learn it properly could be a pro, as it is just now - enjoyably, serious hobby that will fill my retirement years. Still trying to find time to really learn poker properly.

R

radu florin

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My family doesn`t care because I use my money !

P

pop pap

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im not playing with much money so my family doesn't care of it.

D

davil229

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife usually sits at the computer and starts looking what to buy in the store) She says the money will be more whole.

D

Doh123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's the reaction of the family when u tell them that u play poker ? ;)

Bad and only bad. But it makes sense to them, because I'm not so good or any good at all :D, but that doesn't mean it can't get better in future. It's like a sport. If you train hard and lot, some outcome will happen. But still ... family's bad opinion about, only make you play worse, because you feel like doing something bad or wrong. Therefore I strongly suggest to NOT tell anyone you know, you are playing a poker for money. Show off, only if you feel stable and profiting. Then you will have at least some proof, you aren't just gambler or something !

CincyTim83

CincyTim83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now that I am married, its a lot harder to play.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will always clearly remember these two reactions. One when I told my parents that I was quitting my job because it got in the way of the money I made playing poker. My mom cried, and wanted me to go back to school and get my doctorate.

Then the day came where I told my parents I was quitting poker to join the military, and mom cried again and said, "Poker's not so bad", poor mom

CincyTim83

CincyTim83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife wouldnt care as long as I take care of the bills. Thats still a long way away lol