Quitting Poker

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
> What would it take for you to cease playing poker permanently?

Hmmm, I likely couldn't but if I were to hit it big, real big .. I'm talking millions and some sort of magicall being told me if I played even one hand of poker again my fortune would vanish .... then I might be able to stop.

R

rcpeck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Black Friday, plus my growing family, plus advancing in my real job got me to give it up for years at a time. Now I just play for fun in the micros online, and with friends live here and there. I enjoy the thrill of big tournaments too much to ever give it up for good.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm currently taking a break from online poker. I've done so before and it really isn't a big deal to me. My reason for taking a break was not an emotional decision nor one based upon frustration or outcome.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When it stopes to bring me joy, I will quit playing poker. Till then, play, play and only play!!!

brno22

brno22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I left poker for a few months and now I am starting over and I think it is not easy to quit the game, whatever the cause is, it is a very favorite game and I will not stop playing.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would stop playing poker if I lost a lot of money:( or my wife asked for it:)

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
+ $100K and I quit that game with no regrets, I can have fun with other things

The commonest mistake in history is underestimating your opponent; happens at the poker table all the time

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, this is not a sentimental thread about me quitting poker, yet(!!?? )

However, even though Poker is one of the most popular, beloved, and addicting games in the entire world, some people still manage to quit cold turkey.

What would it take for you to cease playing poker permanently?

For me, I do not think I would go as far as leaving the game forever, but depending on the situation (such as losing more money than I can afford), I would probably take a break, ranging anywhere from 1 day up to a month.
I've actually been struggling with this for a while now. As my family continues to grow, major life decisions coming about, and more and more I need to pull from my bankroll to cover these changes. The more and more I keep asking myself is playing even really worth it anymore?

I think this is an easy answer for a losing player. Cause if you are losing, committing the time to it like a full time job. Then it's not a hobby it's an addiction. This is a problem if you cant quit.

Then on the flip side let's say you can earn a full time living of 80-125K a year. You have over 1M in liquid assets, and net worth of over 17M. I think this question takes on a lot more of a complex evaluation. Cause it's obviously not a problem with this person, its truely thier career. So you ask yourself. Can I retire, and be happy?

With me I'm stuck in the middle. Running about a 12K bankroll I play micros and low stakes online with good profits, along with 1/2 cash, and your $150-600 buy in tournaments. With an avg. Of about 20-30K a year in profits. I cant live off that. So I still need to have my full time job. So the question for me is. Is the time I'm spending worth the profits I make? At this point in my life I'm not sure if it is, but I also know if I give it up. I will never achieve the greatness I can achieve. It's obviously not an addiction, cause I'm making money, but is the time I'm sacrificing away from my family worth it? Knowing that all the changes I will be making will not allow me to grow a bankroll? I'm not sure if it is anymore.

B2199707

B2199707

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It ain't easy to quit one of you hobbies. ..even if you lost a large amount , you'd probably just skip a day or 2 from not playing poker

R

rcpeck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've actually been struggling with this for a while now. As my family continues to grow, major life decisions coming about, and more and more I need to pull from my bankroll to cover these changes. The more and more I keep asking myself is playing even really worth it anymore?

I think this is an easy answer for a losing player. Cause if you are losing, committing the time to it like a full time job. Then it's not a hobby it's an addiction. This is a problem if you cant quit.

Then on the flip side let's say you can earn a full time living of 80-125K a year. You have over 1M in liquid assets, and net worth of over 17M. I think this question takes on a lot more of a complex evaluation. Cause it's obviously not a problem with this person, its truely thier career. So you ask yourself. Can I retire, and be happy?

With me I'm stuck in the middle. Running about a 12K bankroll I play micros and low stakes online with good profits, along with 1/2 cash, and your $150-600 buy in tournaments. With an avg. Of about 20-30K a year in profits. I cant live off that. So I still need to have my full time job. So the question for me is. Is the time I'm spending worth the profits I make? At this point in my life I'm not sure if it is, but I also know if I give it up. I will never achieve the greatness I can achieve. It's obviously not an addiction, cause I'm making money, but is the time I'm sacrificing away from my family worth it? Knowing that all the changes I will be making will not allow me to grow a bankroll? I'm not sure if it is anymore.

This is where it gets hard, especially when family comes into play. Me and many others were in a similar spot when we walked away before, or at least drastically cut back on volume.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the context, and the type of player you are, for example if you are a player who sees poker as a hobby, just to have fun, just lose or win, for him it will be normal he will always be attracted to poker and never It will leave, but if you are a player who sees poker as a business, that is not prepared and studied, you will lose, and therefore you will get frustrated and gradually you will leave poker, but there are players who are disciplined and when they lose they close session and start studying more, but they don't let it ..

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is like therapy for me, so tough to quit. Way cheaper than a shrink.

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think me dying would probably do it.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If big prizes are lost in poker, I'll quit.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I I won so much money I could live without thinking how to earn it, I certainly wouldnt play poker :)
You play for money after all. At least I do.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if I become bored with playing that is the reason to quit or to take break

maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lack of money or boring I guess.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Currently i play combination of freerolls and micro MTTs in my free time so in fact poker does not consume money or time that belongs to other activities. In my current state i do not see reason that would make me quit playing permanently. Of course if my financial status worsens so much that i can no more pay for my internet or my free time shrinks seriously situation will be different.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I like to play poker, I enjoy the game, and I will definitely stop playing, if for some reason I stop enjoying poker !!!

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its quite good that you have understood that you are not so good in poker and fact that you are loosing money witch you can't afford to lose. That its the first step witch is usually the most difficult part for people to understand that they are in problem. Congrats on that man, now as you are grown person and you must take responsibility for your actions I can say that you have strong mind and now after you clear the 1st step its quite easy to continue your journey. Just find another hobby, maybe doing some workout, maybe some craftsmanship, or other activities that would keep your mind busy and make you feel good, full with energy for what are you doing. Again congrats on solving the problem, we can't be good enough at all things we are doing, we must find what is best for us. Good Luck

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I I won so much money I could live without thinking how to earn it, I certainly wouldnt play poker :)
You play for money after all. At least I do.

Wouldn't you have the urge to play in a million dollar high roller event sometime?

Becky Eubanks

Becky Eubanks

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only way I see myself quitting would be if for some reason
I lost the internet for a long time. I have slacked off some and don't
play everyday anymore, but when I do play it is because I want to play
and I enjoy it more that way.

If you are competing for leaderboard prizes you pretty much have to
play every day and it is hard work because you have to be consistent
to make leaderboard and it is not easy, Hats off to those who do !!