Psychology & behavior: running hot vs NOT

Ecolando

Ecolando

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've noticed a pattern whereby I want to play MORE when I'm not running well, in hopes that the trend will reverse itself. Subsequently, when I am running HOT I want to chill out and not play much out of fear that the trend will reverse. Does anyone else experience this??

Ideally I'd like my behavior to be the opposite.. where I want to chill out when I'm running bad, and play MORE when I'm running hot. It stands to reason that hot streaks increase confidence leading to better overall decision making which leads to more wins. Right??

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've noticed a pattern whereby I want to play MORE when I'm not running well, in hopes that the trend will reverse itself. Subsequently, when I am running HOT I want to chill out and not play much out of fear that the trend will reverse. Does anyone else experience this??

Ideally I'd like my behavior to be the opposite.. where I want to chill out when I'm running bad, and play MORE when I'm running hot. It stands to reason that hot streaks increase confidence leading to better overall decision making which leads to more wins. Right??

Thank U 4 Posting

It is good that you noticed this trend in your mindset. You most certainly want to change your approach.

You may want to create a checklist that you can help you to decide to leave a game and another to remind you to push harder for more profits when the game is in your favor.

By creating these checklist prior to playing you then need only take one action (looking at the checklist) while in game and focused on playing to remind yourself of your goals. You may even want to set an hourly reminder for yourself to review your checklist.

Hope this helps
:):)

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, the main thing is that the game brings you pleasure and not disappointment.

Ecolando

Ecolando

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, the main thing is that the game brings you pleasure and not disappointment.

I definitely got this one. It's just this behavior that I'm interested in the psychology behind haha.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Win lose or draw take your time pace yourself have some type of plan for the week,month and year regardless of running good or bad and log out when tired each day or drop down to freerolls even from whatever stakes you are grinding if exhausted mentally I reckon.:)

foldeamela

foldeamela

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I assure you that this happens to many people, when you manage to master those moments you will surely become a great player, solid and difficult to understand. Successes

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the same thing happens to many of us when we are running poorly, we continue to add volume to the game to recover the lost investment and when we are winning we stop playing to take care of what we have already won. I think the mistake is that we play more thinking about money and not about the game, professionals say that we should focus on our game and think about money in the long term, that's why we play with anxiety when we lose because we think more about the loss of the investment and that does not allow us to make good decisions in the game session.

Ecolando

Ecolando

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the same thing happens to many of us when we are running poorly, we continue to add volume to the game to recover the lost investment and when we are winning we stop playing to take care of what we have already won. I think the mistake is that we play more thinking about money and not about the game, professionals say that we should focus on our game and think about money in the long term, that's why we play with anxiety when we lose because we think more about the loss of the investment and that does not allow us to make good decisions in the game session.

Ok this post right here is MONEY!!!! thank you for sharing. You are so so right. I think sticking to a proper bankroll management and risk mitigation also helps to keep things less focused on the wins and losses day to day, and more on the long run... because as long as you have enough to weather a downturn, who cares if you hit a downturn. That is not gonna matter in the long term