Pros that Play Really Tight

R

RazzleDazzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just wondering how the pros that play a really tight game have managed to do so well. When you watch players like Howard Lederer and Jennifer Harman play, you see that they play next to no hands, and when they do play a hand, its almost certain that they have something big.

L

lostcause

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just wondering how the pros that play a really tight game have managed to do so well. When you watch players like Howard Lederer and Jennifer Harman play, you see that they play next to no hands, and when they do play a hand, its almost certain that they have something big.

Well they play next to no hands in the beginning but they loosen up later on. But it is expected with the formats of the major tournaments. For example the wsop main event is a 10k buyin you get 20k in chips and blinds start at 50-100 with 90 minute blinds. 4 hours later and the blinds are like 200-400. So it does not pay to play many hands in the beginning but they manage to make money by bluffing. When they bet it commands respect, when someone like Gus Hanson or Daniel Negrenu bets it is not as respected as much. A lot of loose aggressive opponents gamble early cause their style mandates a stack. When you have a monster stack you put a lot of pressure on your opponents. But being tight has its advantages. Look at "action Dan" he does a great squeeze play agaisnt Josh Arieu and Greg Raymer with 62. So This is their bread and butter make money off their good hands and bluff with their bad ones. But because they are so tight you dont know which one is which. It can cost you your whole stack to find out and not many want to to do this. So they lay it down to the tight player. Plus not everyone is observant to the guy with the dust on their chips and call raises from them.

slurredreaction

slurredreaction

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya I want to become a tight pro like that as well. The respect you would get has got to feel nice. I wonder how many times they get sucked out on. =/

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is how tight pros win:

Tournament, 40,000/80,000 Blinds 10,000 ante (7 handed) -

(SB) (t2,375,000)
David Williams(BB) (t3,250,000)A
spade.gif
Q
club.gif

Josh Arieh (t3,890,000) K
heart.gif
spade.gif

MP (t2,175,000)
Greg Raymer (t7,920,000) A
club.gif
club.gif

Matt Dean (t3,435,000)
Dan Harrington (t2,320,000) 6
heart.gif
diamond.gif

Preflop: Arieh raises to t225,000, 1 fold, Raymer Calls (t225,000), 1 fold, Harrington raises to t1,200,000, 4 folds.

Harrington says tight players make their easiest money when the bluff. A nicely executed squeeze never hurt I guess.