Professional poker player?

J

josueob247

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Which is the point where someone can be considered turn from an amateur to a professional player?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Welcome to CC josueob,

At poker (unlike in some sports) we do not have some top level organization that would give out pro licenses.
So in my view the distinction between an amateur and pro is simple.

If poker is your sole income source, and you can make a decent living (pay your bills, etc.) by playing, then you are a pro. Everything else that comes with pro lifestyle is just "accessories".

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you live with your poker profits you can be called a professional poker player.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Which is the point where someone can be considered turn from an amateur to a professional player?
Not necessarily being a good player, just earning money to pay bills, I mean win more than lose.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Usually in most professions , being professional means the person is more skilled than amateurs. NOT necessarily in poker. Some professionals do not have a job and so rely on their winnings to live off of, so by definition they are professional. I know a couple whose main level of expertise is in picking marks who give their money away in cash games. They will never win a tournament because they are not that good, but they make a living grinding marks out of their money. To me there are two different ways to look at professionals. Neither of which I look down on...

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everything is obvious here, if you earn money exclusively by playing poker, you can consider yourself a pro, the number of games and your limits also matter, in general, poker should be your main and constant source of income

ScoobyNL

ScoobyNL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
If you quit your job because you win enough to have a good life then i think you are pro.

If i win at least 4k each month i will quit my job and spent my time playing poker.

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you feel confident at the table, if you think you are stronger than your opponents and beat them, if you play many hours a day, if you get enough profit from your game for a living, then you are probably a professional poker player.🤩

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think it is he who has some important winnings from the game!

F

Frankyy97

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
You can call you a professional poker player when you can quit your normal job and pay your bills with poker :)

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I have always been of the opinion that the best amateurs are professionals.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When he makes enough money to make a living from poker.

Just like in any other profession.

The definition of professional goes beyond the skill level, remember that.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have always been of the opinion that the best amateurs are professionals.
I think the best amateurs are better than many of the lower tier pros. The latter is rife with people who would rather struggle at the poker table than work at a steady job that provides income.

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that it is more for the kind of dedication you put on your game. If u take it very serious and apply things u've studied, u're playing profesionally, if u study but don't maintain consistence on your game, and keep doing wrong plays just for the fun, u're recreative.

B

BrunoFabri01

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that what makes a professional player is able to financially support only poker without the need for other income.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
For Poker a professional player is someone who makes a living from the game i.e. it is their main source of income. The rest of us are classed as amateurs. So not all professional players are good players and not all amateurs are bad players.

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Welcome to CC josueob,

At poker (unlike in some sports) we do not have some top level organization that would give out pro licenses.
So in my view the distinction between an amateur and pro is simple.

If poker is your sole income source, and you can make a decent living (pay your bills, etc.) by playing, then you are a pro. Everything else that comes with pro lifestyle is just "accessories".
I agree, it's living financially from poker

CheckDisOut

CheckDisOut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are in downswing for 40 buyins and think that it's not you, it's the game that is rigged.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can rely on poker as a consistent source of income, then you can consider yourself a professional.