My problems with hand anaylsis

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand analysis, everyone reading this I guarantee has either made a hand analysis or read one. I've made a few and read a few and came to some conclusions about them. I have found much fault in these analysis which I'll list below. I would like to hear the opinions about hand analysis from others.

Faults
1.Most of the time the person writing these loses the hand. This is a problem because it taints my view. I know that about 90% of hand analysis are ones in which the hero has lost therefor I'm looking for mistakes by the hero instead of looking to see how I would have played.

2.If your a serious poker player then you know that you should forget about your loses. By this I mean things like losing to a known bluff, bad beats, losing big pots, etc. But when you write a hand analysis doesn't it seem like your doing just the opposite? Your choosing to remember that one hand out of the hundreds you've played in a single session? If I lose a hand be it a bad beat or big pot I forget about it! There's no use in crying over spilled milk! I forget about hands equally be it wins or losses. I really think this is why I don't tilt much.

3.What are the chances this hand will happen again? One of the reasons hand analysis are pretty much useless is because the chances of the same thing happening again are so out of this world that you'd probably have a better chance at winning the lottery 3 times in a row! So many variables go into one single hand that make the chances near impossible like position, # of opponents, blinds and antes, community cards, etc.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The whole point of hand analysis is to improve the way you make decisions while at the table.

If you don't post the results to the hand when you're asking for analysis (and you shouldn't be posting them) then the first point ceases to be a problem.

I'd disagree with your second point. You shouldn't let your losses put you on tilt, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with remembering a hand that you lost and that you think you could have played better. If you don't remember those spots then come back to look over them, how are you supposed to get better as a player? You want to correct your mistakes next time - if you forget about every single one of them, you'll just make them again and again.

On the third point, again, if you don't post results this becomes much less of an issue. And as stated above, if you use hand analysis to improve the way you make decisions, then it doesn't matter that you're unlikely to be in exactly the same spot with exactly the same cards any time soon - you can take your improved decision making skills, and apply them to other hands.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the third point, again, if you don't post results this becomes much less of an issue. And as stated above, if you use hand analysis to improve the way you make decisions, then it doesn't matter that you're unlikely to be in exactly the same spot with exactly the same cards any time soon - you can take your improved decision making skills, and apply them to other hands.
To expand on this, a key meta-goal of hand analysis is to expand how and how much you think. It's not just about what to do in a specific situation.

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright, I guess my perspective of hand analysis was flawed....How do you guys write hand analysis, do you copy and paste from your hand history? I don't seem to be able to copy and paste on either Bovada or FFP any help would be greatly appreciated.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands