Polk vs Hellmuth on PNIA

M

MstrBlast3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First let me say I have become a big fan of Doug Polk the last couple months. His content was one of the reasons why I started playing again. I also have a lot of respect for Phil's game. When I was playing oh 10 years ago or so I followed him pretty close read his book etc. Once you look through all the rants, you have to admit he is a solid player and honestly a pretty decent guy.

This match to me was just a clash of two styles of play to me. Doug a more new age looser aggressive style to Phil's old school tight semi aggressive trapping style. Phil lost a bunch of small pots but made up for them with big traps. The part that amazes me is that Hellmuth actually tells his opponents exactly what he is going to do and people still don't adjust to it.

I found the match to be fun to watch. Phil and Doug seemed to have good table talk and it was good to see two great players going at it. Going in I thought Doug would crush Phil, but clearly I was wrong.

I am curious what other peoples opinions are on the match and how both players approached the contest.

If you didn't see the match, Here is a link to it on YouTube https://youtu.be/J7p5_fhvJ9s

Last edited: