Poker: Luck or Skill?

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that poker is a wonderful combination of luck and skill. But, I don’t agree that is 50/50. If you want to be a good poker player, it’s going to take you a long time. 80% skill and 20% luck...

A

aj43615

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well...it is a game of skill and luck I believe...the skill would be what cards your playing in your hand...the other part is the board that comes...is the part thats luck...so many times i have top pair and someone goes all-in so i call....they have bottom pair and hit trips with them...but again it's mainly freerolls...but in that case I would call that luck for that person....me playing my top pair or two pairs was skill...they just lucked out...

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the percentages change from hour to hour. You have to have the skill and running good helps

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In my experience it tends to be people that don't play very much or are poor players that say it's all about luck. If it were all luck, it would be like playing roulette, where overall everyone loses except the house. Luck doesn't explain how the same people regularly go deep, final table and win some of the toughest tournaments.

Online, I would say luck plays a bigger part, but skill still outweighs luck in the long run.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is a lot of luck involved in poker. It does take some skill to play and win in the long term though.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Despite Poker have a wide acceptance today, still have those who insist that poker is a game of chance.

Many classify Poker in the same mode that blackjack or baccarat. What in fact these so that put poker in this category, do not know that he is in Sport mode of the mind, along with chess, backgammon, the lady and others.

The poker player need to master various techniques in order to be well sucescedido as: "Math Concepts and psychology."

If of good or bad luck, how could we explain the fact that the same play get several thin tables of the WSOP, the world's largest poker tournament, such as Phil Hellmuth, with the incredible number of fifteen bracelet?

It is a combination of luck and skill, but more skill than luck.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can be 50/50 Mackmasterss, this takes the merit of all who are devoting themselves, studying, proving to the world that it is a sport of the mind ... It is already recognized that Poker, and like Chess, say that it is 50 / 50 is not cool.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
90% Skill-10% luck. How can you explain the same people at the top,,,and the same at the bottom. :icon_flow The problem is most players think they're good,because they sit and wait for AK or pockets and win the majority of their hands,,,,but havn't check-raised or triple-barrel bluffed or called down a bluff with bottom pair to win a hand,,,,ever! :motz: If you don't/can't have these in your repertoire,don't expect to win when you aren't running hot. :goodnight

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with u, just a few % of the game is for luck. The few players we see at wsop, is the price to play.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game of both of that. You need skill, you need yo understand, how to play different hands. Also sometimes somobody can play better than you, and then you need some luck.

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd say there is luck involved in winning...Luck would be the great cards you are dealt...Luck would be the great flop you get...how you maximize profit is all skill...bluffing and winning a hand is all skill...

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After watching Daniel Negreanu, Phil Ivey, Tom Dwan, Phil Hellmuth and Doyle Brunson videos for hundreds of hours, my opinion is this game at that level is 90% skill and 10% luck. online poker at low blinds can't be compared to high stakes live play though because you don't see your opponents and their movements or faces so for online poker, I think 75% skill and 25% luck. I have always done much better in person than online.

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe when it comes to making decisions you need to make a completely logical skill based decision. Don't factor in luck only probability. From there it's all luck as to whether your high probability of hitting your hand holds up.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker only requires luck.

But being profitable requires skill.

And the wisdom to play limits within your bankroll.

Good luck !

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Players who think a poker is gambling most often do not learning. They playing poker for fun losing money.

M

Mrjamesbond1977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You gotta have the skill to play this game and luck is a part of it i say 50/50.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can have your own theories about poker but the results and graph of many players speak for themselves. you can have a lot of luck and win a big tournament but you can not be happy about 15 times like Phil Hellmut, which I do not like for insulting opponents after losing a hand.

Zumpf

Zumpf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At first glance, it seems that poker is game of luck. But if consider it for a long period of ime, including not one hand, but hundreds; it turns out that luck's never been here. Only skills matter.

AlexDriver

AlexDriver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think about 70% of skill and 30% of luck.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online poker 75% luck 25% skill on small bets.:)

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its a little bit of both, but, sometimes if you are a great poker player, the luck is very important, you can pklay like a champion and lose.

F

Forreal669

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Despite Poker have a wide acceptance today, still have those who insist that poker is a game of chance.

Many classify Poker in the same mode that blackjack or baccarat. What in fact these so that put poker in this category, do not know that he is in Sport mode of the mind, along with chess, backgammon, the lady and others.

The poker player need to master various techniques in order to be well sucescedido as: "Math Concepts and psychology."

If of good or bad luck, how could we explain the fact that the same play get several thin tables of the WSOP, the world's largest poker tournament, such as Phil Hellmuth, with the incredible number of fifteen bracelet?

You need controll of the table, know witch hands to play, so more skill and a bit of luck.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
85% - skill and 15% - luck