Is poker like the lottery or sport or requires discipline?

I

isaacmc27

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The IFP has communicated through its website that the International Mental Sports Association (IMSA) has recognized poker as a game of mind and skill,

what do you think

Danaire72

Danaire72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
I think that poker has many factors that influence a lot when playing, and there are many variants, among them, perseverance, discipline, learning is essential in poker, and of course that spark of luck that is always a factor. that helps us. But keep in mind that knowing is called luck. so you have to know how to play to see the results. I say this from experience.

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker is a game that may well claim to be one of the sports. This is definitely not a lottery. After all, in the lottery, participants do not influence the outcome, and in poker, the player makes his own decision. Some might say that luck plays a significant role. But luck also plays an important role in a very large number of other sports. Therefore, poker can definitely be considered a sport related to mental skills. Like chess, for example.

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hi all!
If poker were comparable to the lottery, we would not be able to observe the bright personalities who are the masters of this game. Poker is all about strategy, discipline and mathematics.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is of course an intellectual game, although there is also an element of excitement and luck

IronMike9000

IronMike9000

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
winning at poker is challenging because it requires strategy, intuition, and reasoning based on hidden information

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is an intellectual game.
It will become like a lottery if you just bet all the chips every hand or after some equal number of hands. Everyone decides for himself whether to do so or not.
I think so.

azteca6

azteca6

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
What more complicated question can a sport be because it requires skill, discipline, patience, but also a lottery, since you need to have luck on your side, since it doesn't matter how skillful and disciplined you are if you play an AA and it pays you a 10-5 Of the same suit and the color that comes out is your opponent's luck, let's say 80% skill and 20% luck:D

M

majaverick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Like most things in our life, Poker has an uncontrollable part but in general is a mental sport and therefore requires discipline.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It's a mix of lottery, sports, and discipline.

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If you want a sport that rewards you for your effort and performance, you can try chess. (poker definitely not one of them, maybe long term for skilled players, other than that I highly doubt it)

The result is based on choices, and we define it.
We can try to reduce the spots of uncertainty as much as possible...
...but it's still something that will depend on playing right at the right time.

haha... but answering the question... I would say it would be a mix of the three proposed options!

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
If you take the lottery as a lucky event, it might be something like poker. But in truth, there are players who play poker like the lottery and they really don't do too well.
A sport is not. A mental sport can be. If you need to have a fresh mind to make decisions continuously, about skill, about strategy, about positions, about the game of your opponents, about mathematical possibilities and others. Very quick decisions are made on many issues at once in every moment you play.
You must always have discipline in all walks of life, and poker is no stranger to discipline. And this must be in every sense, at the education level, at the earnings level, at the level of bad streaks and others. If you don't have discipline it's impossible to play and I estimate that at a higher professional level the discipline should be even greater.
In short, I think it's not like the lottery but you must be lucky. It can be considered a mental sport and if discipline is necessary, this option has no objection.
greetings friend:):):)

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker is definitely not a lottery player Also poker is not a sport in my opinion. This is a game that for many people is a source of permanent income and of course this requires strict discipline.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In poker, everything depends on the approach to the game of the players themselves!!! For many players poker is a hobby and entertainment with a lot of bad beats and failures, and for some it is making money and fighting mistakes and wrong actions!!! I think that with the right approach to the game, poker for a player at any time can turn from a lottery to a sport and something more than just fun and a game of luck !!!

Mimo..Mach

Mimo..Mach

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It was time! Those of us who really like Poker, we consider it a Mental Sport for a long time and even, I remember having made a Post regarding that and already in several countries it has been given that qualification. Now it is a question of seeing young people playing it in great sporting contests like the Olympics!

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The IFP has communicated through its website that the International Mental Sports Association (IMSA) has recognized poker as a game of mind and skill,

what do you think
In the short term poker is a mix of luck (I'm assuming this is what you mean by "like the lottery") and skill as there's always variance in each hand. In the long term poker is a 100% game of skill as positive and negative variance even out and you're left with the money/chips you win from making optimal decisions. Discipline is what helps you develop skills in the game while preserving and building a bank roll.

Here's a video that describes it better than I can:
Ultimate Guide to Bankroll Management

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Its a mix of it all. It take patience, endurance and perseverance. It can be a chance of luck or a strategic play that can make the difference.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
poker is a sport that requires discipline in which you need to think lotteries can't call it because that's what people who don't study poker say

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I also consider it a mental sport, maybe you are lucky to win a tournament but over time it is better to have skill

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a combination of skills, maths, strategy and luck 😃