Is poker largely luck?

S

spacemiu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that is why people apply bankroll management???
is this so hard to understand really?

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online poker is more luck than live. When you watch the pros live using all the information around them to make good solid desicions you realise just how skillfull they are.

Do you not use all the information around you when you play online?

C

CryingAmy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The source I read this on is one of the biggest affiliates, but wont name them (the one with red fish, bombs etc!)

Thought the same site had durrr as one of the big winners, so maybe a few hands went the other way!!

Definitely wasnt trying to put Ivey down- dont think there's an argument for saying anyone is half as good as him (durrr and gus hanson are my other top cash games players, though being a brit, big fan of de wolfe and devilfish)

Few people got the point I was trying to make (maybe not very well!)- at the higher levels it surely comes down to luck, as all the players are pretty great.

Therefore to make a living out of poker, you would need to be lucky as well as have some skill.

It isnt that difficult to play and learn/ improve so that you can make a bit of cash at the lower levels- if you're really good then you might be able to go up to the levels where you could scrape a living from playing (with a fair share of luck).

But to make enough to feed a family, have a nice car, fancy house, holidays etc then you would need a lot of luck (eg big tournament win to stabalise your bankroll at a level where you could play pro for a few years)

Totally agree live is less luck

If you want further evidence of this- look at the durr challenge- the 2 of them say they keep giving up because they spot a 'juicy' cash table- sounds desperate!! (finally found a fish or two at the higher levels!)

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I vote skill. But, online is tougher (harder to 'read' an opponent).

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Imagine you have a enough money that you own a Mercedes McLaren SLR , Pricetag - $500,000.
You have been thinking of getting a Bugatti Veyron for a price tag of 1.5 million. Some sources say he has it already.

Coin Flipping for 400k with durrr.

Phil Ivey is insanely good.
The man is living a Dream.
TMM and Living Large.

Roller:
Nothing wrong with Dreaming

:)

A

ayasak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'll say its a skill based game with a very huge luck factor. Perhaps something like pool especially 9ball.

xforsake

xforsake

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought the way as you once..., but you can make luck not come and knowing when to fold... It comes down to how you bet pre-flop to protect your hands and how you bet the flop to make badbeats not happen.. They will happen, but 90% if you play by the math you will get rewarded 90% of the time.

I

IvaiLamDimidov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of poker is luck, but a majority of poker isn't. The other parts of playing winning poker is skill, patience, and stamina. There might be a few other qualities but these are the main ones. And also remember there is a difference between playing poker and playing winning poker.

J

justadream82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also have to remember that Ivey has stake in FTP so it's no big deal to him because he collects money from the company, including rake.

Remind me to still care about the small things when 740k$ means nothing to me, too. lol.

Thats sick

Cheers.

KardKlub

KardKlub

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you not use all the information around you when you play online?

Of course i do, but when you can't see the player you don't know what there doing really.

If your on about stats etc. Not everyone has 20000 worth of hand histories to make great desicions on.

Most of the time its bet sizes, postion and time it took to call etc, which all three aren't that accurate to most players.

Live you get all the real tells that the stats don't show.

Thats all I meant.

H

hothandsmgee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say its probably 60 percent luck, 40 percent skill. Sure you can luck you way into winning a tourney but i can guarantee you wont be winning consistently.