• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your playing for the long run, skill is what pays you in the end.the luck is important but not to much

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This question again, huh?

Poker is a game of skill. However, luck is and always will be a big part of the game. We have all heard someone say that a skilled player can play their cards in such a way as to make their opponent fold a superior hand. Likewise we've all had, or at least seen, A-A get cracked by J-6.

As far as I am concerned, luck is the cards that you are dealt. Skill is how you play them. I consider myself lucky whenever I am dealt a monster hand like aces. A poor player may see A-A and jam all-in and be lucky I if they get a call. On the other hand, they may have the table fold around and end up only picking up the blinds with pocket aces. A skilled player would know to raise enough to limit the number of players in the hand, to lessen the chances of someone getting lucky on them. A skilled player will then know when they should check or bet, and how to size their bets in order to extract maximum value out of their A-A.

Last edited:
JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both. Skill and luck. It does not take skill to get the nuts or dealt pocket aces or any hands. The skill part is how you play these hands. Then hands like AA v KK. Just plain simple luck.

L

luchoq10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think poker is a game of skill that the luck affect, is 70%skill 30%luck

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey poker players, let's put our egos aside, luck is the main factor in online poker and thats the fact. Thank you for this thread, it's really the interesting one. If i have an open debate, i will gladly put my arguments on the table ;)

D

dej4npoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can win one,two or tree hands on luck..but to win a tournament you need a lot of skill.

B

bredaman7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LUCK and SKILL, ask poker tournament champions, does luck involve? definitely they will say yes! but still, you cannot depend only with luck, your strategy also matters.
Tournament: LUCK :70. SKILL and STRATEGY: 30
Cash Game: LUCK :30, SKILL and STRATEGY: 70

kolecgoclaw

kolecgoclaw

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometime skills ,sometime luck

today i have pair aa - play all in!! my oponent 67 -
and
floop 4a8
turn j
river 5

i know sometime hapends...but is very flustreiting :((((

B

Bowman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes a game of if they want you in the game or not. People gang up on people and I was in a chat the other day people were talking how they used to be dealers and would cheat for people.

PO has lot of members coming out of the closet, and I'm not talking about their sexuality. It's disgusting.

Better get luckier and more skillful because even then you still are behind.

catchitfool

catchitfool

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have to have skills to put yourself in a spot to get lucky. heard that before and makes sence, skills are much needed however so is luck

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1 week ago told was skill, this week was horrible to me with many bad beats :( maybe i can agree with many here talking that some part is luck....but more than half is skill.

pokertoi

pokertoi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its a little luck, some skill and knowing your opponents.

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without doubt poker is a game of skill. Luck plays a part in it because of the nature of the game but skill will always win in the long run.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i win it's skill,when they win it's luck..:)

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I need to learn the skill of sucking out.
Are there any good books, videos or tutorials on this particular skill?

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If poker was pure luck it would not be interesting.

Skilled players are skilled because they know how to play.

Yes you cant control the cards but you can control what you use you chips for.

So if you play it the right way you decide if there is a good chance or a bad chance to win.

S

sotakid80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its65% skill and 35% luck. i great player can get a player to fold if he playes it just right, and sometimes a great player just cant out do luck.

Faust

Faust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that "luck" is a big set defined by randomness, and the more we discover of that set/category (which makes skills arise) less decisions will be left to randomness. However i also believe that everything has a fractal "dimension"*, so our chances in poker rely on competition, how they are prepared against luck and compare it with your "preparation", see if it is better.

Anyways my point is that you cannot avoid luck (chance), but you can always expand your knowledge beyond so that you reduce what you leave to luck drastically (actually luck wouldn't be reduced since it goes to infinite, everything has a chaotic order, when you find out that skill has been expanded you find out that luck is actually bigger so you try to expand skill even more to reduce luck but you never accomplish your goal [that's why i said fractal dimension earlier]).

*Not sure if dimension would be the right word to use.

Anyways that's my understanding of the relationship luck-skill, definitely has a more general aspect than just poker, but perfectly applicable to it.

kolecgoclaw

kolecgoclaw

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so...
today i play nice tournament on 888poker
my hand 9j - stay only me and 1 guy
87t
he play allin (3k) i have 1,5k play all in too.
he show cards tt
turn a
river a
skills - luck maybe. eaven if u have skills u can easy loose.
thats it by :(
:)

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I need to learn the skill of sucking out.
Are there any good books, videos or tutorials on this particular skill?

If you find any leave a link. or buy a doom switch :eek:

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can also depend on the level of poker or buyin

i.e. freerolls and Micro rebuys then the luck factor will be alot higher

Whereas when you get to the higher buyins luck still plays apart and some poor players will occasionally run good but in the long run the better players skill level will outweigh the luck factor:eek:

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If aces and kings keep getting cracked than it's luck i would say 80 percent luck and 20 percent skill bad beats happen or the runner runner factor also does happen more i notice online than live poker

Top 10 Games