• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
K

KrazzzyKyle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as I've experienced, the FTs I'm my local live games are usually occupied by those "skillful" players far more often than unskilled players. Luck sometimes creates a few poor FT occupants, but they seldom win it all as the players get better and better the narrower the field gets.
In large live MTTs, the effect is the same, but with a larger sample size. With 500 players, the variance goes way up, but skill will help you to avoid the negative variance and get you to the $$. Consistently getting to the bubble shows skill. At that point, you do need to run good, but when you make it there 30% of the time, your probably a solid player.

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mixed between luck and skill of course , you can't seperate them

L

LongRover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker - game of skill or chance

Is Poker a Game of Skill or Chance?
Some say poker is good and bad luck - that it's about chance. I say poker is
not so simple. Online or offline; by algorithim or dealer; if 2 to 10 are seated; if
seated in the first, mid or last seat - it is said one is lucky or unlucky in their cards.
Maybe, but all changes when the impact of the human element is made.

Why?Because poker is about people as much as chance. It is how people deal with chance;
with themselves; and with others; and with their own views of the game. So, poker is
about how players have their own perspectives of the game and despite wide differences,
it is about how all manage to play a game that is common to the efforts of each to win.
Given this, it's fair to say that poker is a game about which many have different views,
including those that claim it is not all about chance.

It is impossible to list all the different ideas that players have. One idea, already mentioned,
is that poker is merely a game of chance; another is that it is as much about people and their
ideas as it is about chance. This is an important factor because if poker is merely about chance,
then it is akin to a brainless lotto in which whoever gets the winning cards, wins; and, conversely,
whoever gets the losing cards, loses.

Once people are accepted into the game of poker as an element as real as chance,

something happens. People then bring their own preconceived ideas about poker
into the game, and they play accordingly.

To some players, poker is about expectations, outcomes and variances; about their trust

in their own experience, knowledge, skill, strategy and decision-making while assessing
values of hole cards in and of themselves, and as these later relate to cards dealt at the
flop, turn and river.

In one way, it is as if to say that chance exists not only in the cards, their delivery, the

method of their delivery, the table position of players and the number of players, but also
in the differences between the ideas that players hold about the game of poker around tables
and within tournaments. In another way, it is the very presence of such a litany of ideas
which reduces the notion of chance to just another perspective amongst many others.

Is poker a game of skill or chance? Wasn't that the question? Let me answer by saying
that the game of poker is much more than the one or the other. It is neither, yet both.
It is both, yet more. Much, much, more

Last edited:
pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck or Poker

Is poker luck? I've seen lots of answers and questions about how poker is luck. It's true sometimes we get lucky in poker but most of the time luck doesn't seem to help. So my question is. Is poker luck in reality???

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
short term, luck or "run good" can play a role in weather someone wins or loses. but long term skill trumps luck everytime in poker.

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think luck over skill. cause I see when you slow play hands you can be beaten a lot. always learning to play hands right. if you are lucky you will win more with even the great hands.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker you need to have the skill to play, you need to be able to count and assemble the right combinations, and luck will come at any time when you do not have the best game, if you play good and expensive tournaments or play cash games, I think that in the game somewhere from 70 to 80 percent of the skill and the rest for luck, but a lot of players play inexpensive freerolls and more for luck!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Luck is absence of knowledge. Only when we do not have something to rely on then we act by luck. Poker needs skills, psycology, maths and luck and make our way in it!

Digitaljesus1

Digitaljesus1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if anyone rellies on pure luck he isn't a good poker player. For example, if you 75o and you call somebody's all-in who has for example AA or KK and somehow you manage to win that hand, that is pure luck. Basically, that was bad play, but you were lucky.

To be good poker player, you must have skill - you must calculate your odds, know when and how much to raise in certain situations, to take advantage of good position if you are in it and much more. Therefore, I think skill is much more important than luck. On the other hand, poker is game of chance and you gonna need to be lucky in some situations, but still, if you lack skill, you simply can't be good at poker.

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well to win tournament you need to get lucky,but without a skill you can never be winning player.

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
on a bad day your full house will be cracked by quads, so luck plays a critical role in poker.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck, as crude box matches from all matches ignited only one...

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The most skilled players will over come luck in the long run.

otzme

otzme

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me poker is probability, so if you play based on the odds in your favor, you will have more chances to win, that is, luckier.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For long playing distances, poker is skill. But luck plays a specific role. Luck in poker is applicable for games at short distances (for example, a turbo tournament). Here at one moment have to put all-in and count on luck.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
A bit of luck has not prevented anyone :)

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a tough one. My head tells me that skillful play will always win the day in the long-term. My head tells me that the odds are mathematically rock solid. Reality proves me wrong time and again..

The all-in preflop odds seem to be reversed in practice. For example, over thousands of hands I typically lose when I play a higher pair heads-up against a lower pair or a high AX over a cheap AX.

It's a given. If the other guys set maker doesn't show up on the flop, it definitely makes an appearance on the turn or the river. I always laugh to myself as I sit there watching, KNOWING that it's coming. I rarely complete a 4-flush by the river but my opponents almost always hit it, and then some.

brno22

brno22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to luck we have to help her with a little knowledge of the game

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think poker is a game of skill and skill.
This is a hard day-to-day work on improving your skills.
But just like in any case, a successful game depends on luck.
Good luck.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is a gamble that requires skill and discipline.
But luck is also important here.
Skill or chance - 70 / 30. That my opinion.

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
luck has to accompany you or the software has to help you .. otherwise you will lose anything ...

N

Nico_ico_404

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck or poker

In my opinion poker is combination of luck and skills!

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still think it is 70% luck, and 60% skill. You can tell me that doesn't add up, my retort; That overlap is where we all need to play well, which works out to be about 30% of the hands we play.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Ivey once said " my little sister could beat me at poker." You're not going to beat a pro boxer or tennis pro, but on any given day... anyone could win at poker. So, yea there's luck involved. Good luck trying to beat a poker pro everyday though.

Top 10 Games