Poker - Gambling, Sport or Dangerous Vice?

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After playing for a few months I can see how it can become dangerous for some. I feel like you have to set up a set of rules and a timeline to follow, such that it I'm not profitable by X date then I have to quit or something along those lines

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a very addicted personality, and I'm addicted to poker. The thing is I can control the limits I can play. It's also, at the end of the month I'm ahead. But playing low stakes I don't win much, but I don't risk much either. It's a hobby that kills time and makes a little bit.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hobby, vice or what ever you call it, poker is a heck of a way to past the time while taking in something different each hand and hopefully winning some chips along the way :flute:

Tulipaneiro

Tulipaneiro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sport. Hazard? Cmon no one command you to play poker on cash. It's only your choice ;)

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is not a sport, if you can sit and drink a beer, while playing- not a sport

a challenge / like chess and has a strong vice aspect too

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything that you do throughout your day has the potential to be dangerous or hazardous i.e. driving, bicycling, skating swimming etc. It is up to you to be aware of their pitfalls. :saint:

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm about to play a tournament and if I make it to the first break I'll have me a beer. Sport? I don't think so but a heck of a way to pass the time

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is like playing with fire, there is always a chance to burn yourself no matter how good juggler you are

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, poker appears to function as a contest of skill with an element of chance.

gambling is magnified chance where the outcome is independent of the players decisions. Think roulette.

I have known very few gambling addicts who were genuinely skillful and successful. We all see some on TV. They are a relative rarity.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is a sport but luck is inlcuded. vice? it´s when people call lifeless thing "vice" the problem are not things or the poker in this case the problem is the brain of that prople.

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All sports can become a vice if it becomes a destructive force in someone's life.

Addiction should be handled as a health care issue regardless of its iteration.

Don't allow one bad apple to spoil the bushel.

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Sports in poker I do not see absolutely. And for many it is a dangerous dependence, but not for everyone.

R

raimundox44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the person. A professional player has a strong mindset and see poker as a job. Perhaps the real risk of addiction only exists for recreational players with weak mind.

R

RicardoTolfo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game like any other. But there is a fine line between hobby and vice, as well as any other game where people can involve money.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I absolutely agree with you. For me poker is my favorite hobby.
Sometimes I will win some money, but first of all I play to enjoy the game.
I am more inclined to believe that poker is a sport.

chezzzi_qwe

chezzzi_qwe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gambling is the wagering of money
if you play recklessly - any game becomes dangerous
poker - is a dangerous game for most of people, who play without brains!

(sorry for my English, pls)

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
It has some of every thing youve said, but with discipline, you can avoid it to turn in a dangerous vice.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling