My poker experiment

cool32steve

cool32steve

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was reading Daniel Negreanu’s blog here, and I thought it might be fun to try the same thing. I will have to stick to some different rules though:

I will not move up in limits until I have 1000 BB in my bankroll.
If get down to 750 BB in my bankroll I will move back down in limits.
I will play NL cash games as well as MTTs.
I will not buy in to a MTT unless I have 20 buy-ins for that amount.

Most of the other rules will stay the same, but I will update them as needed. I will also write about interesting hands from the previous sessions and keep an update of how I am doing, what limits I am playing, etc. I started with a bankroll of $25, playing the .01/.02 limits on pokerstars, and have been playing for a week (I meant to start writing as soon as I deposited and started playing, but got too busy playing to really do anything with it). So far, I have played 3550 hands. I use PokerTracker to keep up with my stats, but am still trying to figure out how to use all the different features.
So, that is all for now, any advice would be greatly appreciated :cool:

cool32steve

cool32steve

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
um.....cause i f@#$#d up....and couldn't delete it

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was reading Daniel Negreanu’s blog here, and I thought it might be fun to try the same thing. I will have to stick to some different rules though:

I will not move up in limits until I have 1000 BB in my bankroll.
If get down to 750 BB in my bankroll I will move back down in limits.
I will play NL cash games as well as MTTs.
I will not buy in to a MTT unless I have 20 buy-ins for that amount.

Most of the other rules will stay the same, but I will update them as needed. I will also write about interesting hands from the previous sessions and keep an update of how I am doing, what limits I am playing, etc. I started with a bankroll of $25, playing the .01/.02 limits on PokerStars, and have been playing for a week (I meant to start writing as soon as I deposited and started playing, but got too busy playing to really do anything with it). So far, I have played 3550 hands. I use PokerTracker to keep up with my stats, but am still trying to figure out how to use all the different features.
So, that is all for now, any advice would be greatly appreciated :cool:

is this correct on BBs? Are you not doing it in buy ins?

XSCREAMMANX

XSCREAMMANX

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NICE::::: gl with it

i like the thought i read his post too. Sound like fun and it would teach good BRM to anyone that would want to do it to start good bankroll ethicts.

i mite try it myself too and keep a record of it and post for viewing .

it make a good forum contest too.

cool32steve

cool32steve

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is this correct on BBs? Are you not doing it in buy ins?

1000 buy-ins seems a bit excessive. I just doubled what Negreanu was stating in his rules, I may adjust it in the future. At the micro-levels, 1000 bbs should work.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1000 buy-ins seems a bit excessive. I just doubled what Negreanu was stating in his rules, I may adjust it in the future. At the micro-levels, 1000 bbs should work.

lol obviously not 1000 buy ins! but I meant your using a set number of BBs not a set number of Buy ins

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, like Jurn says, standard unit for measuring BRM is in buyins. Normal max buyin for a single table is 100 BB, so if you say 1000 BB it looks like 10 buyins. Is that what you intend? Dropping down at 7.5 buyins?

cool32steve

cool32steve

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So far I have been using 10 buy-ins. That has seemed to work up until now, granted I am only 3600 hands in but my win rate has been decent (+20BB/100). If I could just stay away from MTTs, I would be ready to move up.

cool32steve

cool32steve

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After thinking it through, and really looking at proper bankroll management, I think I will wait until 20 buy-ins before moving up in limits. (There, I used buy-ins instead of BBs). 1000 BB really sounded like alot, but in terms of buy-ins it is really not that much. :eek:

S

sovabrat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I read Daniel's story on this and have heard of several people doing it. I have also begun this challenge as well. I think it teaches discipline in the area of BRM and should be tried by any new players to the game. It also gives you a lot of hands to analyze if you are using software to track your game such as poker tracker.

G

glemly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chris ferguson also has a good BR management on Fulltilt site. They are similar.

cool32steve

cool32steve

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Update:

I am doing pretty good so far, am over 5k hands playing 4 tables most times. I tried 6 tables, but it all seemed to go to fast, and I was having a hard time concentrating on anything. The only things not going so well are the MTTs. I have only cashed in 3 (out of 23), and those were just barely cashing. Anyway, the ring game stats are as follows:

Level: NL($0.02)
Total Hands: 4467
VP$IP 18.16%
Total Winnings $44.69
BB/100 25.01

I am reading the many posts here about PokerTracker, and learning to use it better. It has really helped me a couple of times get out of some situations, so I would recommend it highly.... :D

freddevil

freddevil

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
keep up your good work ,whish you luck.ill try it myself but will be mostly sit n go

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think you start from limit and no limit at the same time.may be you can start from mtt.and 50 buyins is better.

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good luck with this, i don't think Id have enough patience and discipline to do this challenge.

cool32steve

cool32steve

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a quick update on my progress. I have just hit the 10k hand milestone and am still chugging along. Stats are as follows:

Level: NL($0.02)
Total Hands: 10,359
VP$IP 17.43%
Total Winnings $91.34
BB/100 22.04

I did work 6 tables today and am finally getting used to the pace, so I think that is something I will continue to do. I hope to move up to 5nl by this weekend if all goes well.. :cool: