Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
C

caldquest

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is he? I got the impression that he was trying to raise awareness about the dangers of poker. But I don't feel that poker was his problem. If he hadn't stole, he could still be in school if he wanted. To me, he comes across as someone who was a little "lost" to begin with, so this trek doesn't really have any meaning. To me, at least.

Fair enough, however a lot of research would support the position that addiction helps contribute to people making decisions they normally wouldnt. Whether actions resulting from a chemical addiction like drugs vs. gambling addiction hold the same value, well thats completely different can of worms. Im not an expert by any means on either, but understand both perspectives.

I also agree with Michael being a little lost to begin with...but I would argue that most of us are a little lost at that age. I mean, the decisions you make in many aspects could affect the rest of your life. The major you choose, the friends you associate yourself with, binge drinking, drug experimentation...etc. I will say, being a card player pretty much my entire life, and living through and actively participating in the online poker boom, that I also have over-drafted my checking account a few times after getting on tilt. No, I didnt steal, instead I took a few days off and paid the overdraft fees. But I definitely shared some of the same thought processes with Michael," Ill overdraft...and just win it back." This may be an assumption, but I bet most online players can related to that.

I think showing the extremes is a great idea. Your footage of the success extreme is great. I just think on the other side, the representative for the extreme is weak. He seems like someone who probably wanted to walk across America anyhow. If you had someone who had been successful, but who is now really feeling the pain due to his poker, maybe lost his house or his marriage, then to me that is the extreme of loss. But a flighty college kid is already liable to walk the nation for some cause or another.

I initially tried to find someone who has experienced the level of loss you describe above, however getting someone willing to share their failures publicly is not an easy task. If you know of someone like you describe above that would be willing, shoot me a PM. Needless to say his story would have to check.
Michael's story appealed to me for many reasons, and I still stand by his story being one of the focal dichotomy's in my film. For one, I wanted a college age kid or younger. The exposure on ESPN painting these new "poker celebs" and the effect on younger demographic fascinates me as I am in that younger demographic (late twenties) and have witnessed the effect first hand. Also, while his story is extreme, it is also very familiar to many (as I discussed above). Visually I also felt it was compelling....compelling enough for me to buy a plane ticket and meet him in the middle of nowhere. The image of a young kid by himself with a few dogs and a cart in the middle of nowhere I felt painted a good picture of what it feels like to go up against the game and lose.

With that said, thank you for your feedback. It will only help me as I eventually work on expanding this story. Keep it coming!

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cliff notes-

One player studied and put in a lot of effort and won millions of dollars over millions of hands and thousands of hours.
One player obviously didn't. Didn't want to improve his game and eventually became addicted loosing a lot of money.

Well produced but a little boring IMO.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fair enough, however a lot of research would support the position that addiction helps contribute to people making decisions they normally wouldnt.

Absolutely. When I think of gambling addiction, I think of spending the rent money vs stealing. Maybe that's naive, maybe it's a minor point, and maybe it's not. Maybe it's just that the problem of gambling addiction can be worse than I want to believe. But you are correct, stealing is common with addicts of all kinds, so it's not like the case you present in the documentary is far fetched.

I also agree with Michael being a little lost to begin with...but I would argue that most of us are a little lost at that age.

Oh, definitely. But his walking the earth seems as much to do with his already being lost as it does with his playing poker. However, now that I have seen you express your vision for the film, I think there's a way to mitigate that. (More on that follows.)

But I definitely shared some of the same thought processes with Michael," Ill overdraft...and just win it back." This may be an assumption, but I bet most online players can related to that.

While I'm not that way myself (I readily admit that I'm probably not the "typical" or "normal" gambler) I think you are correct. I've seen it many times myself.

I initially tried to find someone who has experienced the level of loss you describe above, however getting someone willing to share their failures publicly is not an easy task.

No doubt. If I could refer you to someone, I would. Also, you're on a time schedule and with limited resources. It's not like you have the personnel and budget of Frontline to travel the country following this lead and that. (But wouldn't it be cool if you did!) :)

Michael's story appealed to me for many reasons, and I still stand by his story being one of the focal dichotomy's in my film.

Fair enough, and you've convinced me that it can work and mostly does work with what you've got already. I think the footage of Michael that you have is really good. In fact, you're not going to get footage of many people with nothing just walking along the side of the road. So in terms of visuals, that's priceless.

Visually I also felt it was compelling....compelling enough for me to buy a plane ticket and meet him in the middle of nowhere. The image of a young kid by himself with a few dogs and a cart in the middle of nowhere I felt painted a good picture of what it feels like to go up against the game and lose.

Absolutely. If I were you, that alone would force me to keep Michael in the film even if I had an alternate option. Good decision on buying that plane ticket!

With that said, thank you for your feedback. It will only help me as I eventually work on expanding this story. Keep it coming!

OK, so for me, the film works, except that, as mentioned, Michael already seems a little lost and flighty to me pre-poker, so I have a hard time feeling that poker is really responsible. For Dusty, poker is no doubt responsible, so it would be nice to put the same message across with Michael.

As you mentioned, many of us in college are a little lost and flighty. So this is nothing unique to Michael. But despite being lost, the vast majority of us end up fine. But Michael didn't. So maybe you could introduce some footage that would accomplish the following goals:

(1) College kids doing lost and flighty things. Maybe film a party or two with everyone holding plastic cups, beer bottles, and playing beer pong, etc. Remind the viewer that college kids are a bit all over the map. Maybe film a Monte Carole night showing college kids "gambling", playing cards, etc. Maybe some hidden camera footage of kids playing the slots. Maybe even other kids playing online poker casually with other friends around. As if it's the most normal thing in the world.

(2) Try to relate Michael as being one of these college kids before things head south. I think this would make Michael seem as "normal" as everyone else before he started playing poker, or even while he is playing poker but before he started having problems with it.

(3) Try to relate Dusty as having been one of these college kids. I don't know if you could do that through photos or recounted stories or whatever.

The goal to this point would be to link Michael with Dusty and with the notion that they both started out the same, as perfectly "normal" college kids doing what college kids do.

If you do that, I think your dichotomy becomes that much stronger. Michale is no longer this kid who was perhaps already lost. Instead, he was a normal college kid just like Dusty, for but for him it went the other way. And that's the extreme dichotomy of poker.

I'm not suggesting that you would necessarily have to make these links before any of your other footage. I just think if you make those links -- basically what you have expressed here in your writing -- at some point, then the film would be much stronger. Then when I see Michael in the middle of nowhere with his dogs (which is great footage), I'm much more inclined to have sympathy and relate the cause of that misfortune more directly to poker.

Well, I hope that's helpful. If others don't see the film the way I do, then of course it will be of limited help. I'm not in film, but in software we use the 80/20 rule: you spend 80% of your time finishing up that last 20% of the project. I would imagine that a film project could turn out the same way!

Good luck to you, and please let us know if you do any further releases so we can check it out! :)

-Dave

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not in film, but in software we use the 80/20 rule: you spend 80% of your time finishing up that last 20% of the project. I would imagine that a film project could turn out the same way!
-Dave

It could turn out that way, BUT,
If that happens in a film project it is a sure sign something went wrong. There are three stages of production - 50% of your time should be spent in the first phase to help insure a successful production.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It could turn out that way, BUT,
If that happens in a film project it is a sure sign something went wrong. There are three stages of production - 50% of your time should be spent in the first phase to help insure a successful production.

True enough. Although a documentary might be a little different. It's not like you can storyboard exactly what people are going to say. But yeah, for film in general, the whole thing is scripted out before you shoot a single frame.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
True enough. Although a documentary might be a little different. It's not like you can storyboard exactly what people are going to say. But yeah, for film in general, the whole thing is scripted out before you shoot a single frame.

Docs aren't as different as you might think - good ones that is. You might not know the words but you better have the story before you start shooting - and it all scripted out.

There are those who just shoot an obscene amount of footage and figure it out later. That is a big mess. I worked on one that had close to 1300 hours of footage (over a few years). Was on a team of editors and when we got done several weeks later had to start over because the story the director wanted to tell did not exist in the footage. I think he thought that was a given by just rolling the cameras.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I worked on one that had close to 1300 hours of footage (over a few years). Was on a team of editors and when we got done several weeks later had to start over because the story the director wanted to tell did not exist in the footage.

Wow! That is a mess. When that much footage is created, is it tagged sufficiently enough to make later editing easier, or do you have to watch it all as if you have no idea what's on it?

OK, so you've convinced me that the 80/20 rule better not apply in the making of a documentary. :)

So are you still in the editing business?

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow! That is a mess. When that much footage is created, is it tagged sufficiently enough to make later editing easier, or do you have to watch it all as if you have no idea what's on it?

OK, so you've convinced me that the 80/20 rule better not apply in the making of a documentary. :)

Indirectly - I supervise editors, among other things. More fun to be on the bitching end of it ;) Always drove me crazy having the director or producer over my shoulder - so I try to be a nice guy with them.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Oops, didn't answer your question - no we had to log all that footage. Not like the producer/director wasn't experienced and qualified. Was camera op on some major films that I am sure everyone here has heard of. And no, I'm not telling:confused:

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More fun to be on the bitching end of it ;)

LOL! Sounds like you've got the business figured out! :)

no we had to log all that footage.

Wow, talk about grueling. I'm into digital photography as a hobby. My wife became interested and I used to edit a lot of her stuff for her in the beginning. When I stopped doing that and she had to do it herself, it really changed the way she took pictures! Moral of the story: It's easy to produce an abundance of material; it's an entirely different thing trying to make any use out of it!

And no, I'm not telling

LOL! No problem. In fact, I would have known better than to have asked! ;)

C

caldquest

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The funny thing is, in this project I didn't know what the story was before I started shooting (hence unused footage with the Grinder and Adam "Roothlus" Levy, as well as a few others), I shot 50% of the film the weekend it was due to be shown at a local film festival, and edited it in about 48 hours. Hence why I think if I spent the time creating a full length without being back up against a time window and a non existent budget, it could be something special.
Mediablitz, I received your PM, but am unable to reply until I post 10 comments? PM me your thoughts, and Ill reply as soon as I reach that threshold.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The funny thing is, in this project I didn't know what the story was before I started shooting (hence unused footage with the Grinder and Adam "Roothlus" Levy, as well as a few others), I shot 50% of the film the weekend it was due to be shown at a local film festival, and edited it in about 48 hours. Hence why I think if I spent the time creating a full length without being back up against a time window and a non existent budget, it could be something special.
Mediablitz, I received your PM, but am unable to reply until I post 10 comments? PM me your thoughts, and Ill reply as soon as I reach that threshold.

yeah, there's just no substitute for time. You shoot it last month when they were in town for the poker seminar?

C

caldquest

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, there's just no substitute for time. You shoot it last month when they were in town for the poker seminar?

yep. Im friends with the owner of the Encore Club, he got me in touch with their booking agent.

M

mhkorpi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
http://http://michaelwalksamerica.blogspot.com/2011/05/to-set-record-straight.html

I am Michael, one of the subjects of the video.

A couple of things:

-I‘m not out to spread the word about the dangers of poker; I‘m out to raise awareness about problem gambling. I am neither a proponent nor prohibitionist of gambling. All I want to do is spread the word that gambling addiction is a real problem that needs louder attention.

-When you say that walking the earth has little to do with my purpose, I guess you aren‘t incorrect. But my walk is just as related to my purpose as is somebody walking for breast cancer awareness, or obesity awareness, or whatever-else awareness. The walking isn‘t related to problem gambling -- it is the means by which I can raise awareness. I would not be walking across America if I didn‘t have a cause for which I would do it.

-I am not flighty. I started college and I intend to finish, but not before I remove the distraction of the gambling. Here is where so many people misread me: GAMBLING IS A PROBLEM FOR ME. I SPEAK ONLY FOR MYSELF, FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE. IT IS NOT A PROBLEM FOR EVERYBODY. MY MISSION IS NOT TO BASH POKER. Sorry, I digressed. I started playing violin when I was 5, and I intend to hone those skills until my fingers can‘t move. When I decide to do something, I decide to do something. I am not flighty.

-I was never a normal college kid. From when I started playing poker when I was 17, it was my obsession until I quit when I was 23. I was never focused on college. Without the distraction of poker (do not confuse this with averting blame or responsibility for my actions, nor with the assumption that I am suggesting anybody else should not play poker), I plan on finishing school with flying colors, and pursuing a successful career.

Before you draw conclusions about somebody, go to the source. I am an open book. Negative reactions to my behavior is warranted, but false assumptions and unfounded conclusions are beneficial to nobody.

Thanks for listening.

Michael Walks America
www.MichaelWalksAmerica.com

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Michael, and thanks for posting here on CC!

Before you draw conclusions about somebody, go to the source. I am an open book.

Fair enough. So let me ask you directly: what or whom do you blame for the stealing from your friend?

When I saw this short film I got the impression that you blamed poker for the theft. That's why my comments were less than positive. I apologize if I misconstrued the facts.

As for your mission of trying to raise awareness about problem gambling, I certainly wish you the best of luck. That's a mission that I think most of US poker players support.

I think you have your own vision and agenda with this project, the creator of the movie has his own vision and agenda, and then each of us viewers has our own personal vision and agenda. When all of these come together, sometimes things don't quite come out as "intended", if you catch my meaning.

I do wish you the best.

-Dave