Poker Chip Tricks: Opinions and Favourites

WildBullshark

WildBullshark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How important do you think it is to be able to handle chips? Does someone who can do a variety of chip tricks intimidate or give you any type of impression of their play?

In my opinion usually someone who can do some very uncommon chip tricks that seem difficult has spent a lot of time at the felt. However, it doesn't usually effect the way I play against them although I do find players showing off their chip tricks play more aggressively and often looser.

Anyone have any favourite Chip Tricks? Mine is the Butterfly, but it took me a while to learn!

K

kesc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I would give someone doing some of the less common tricks a little more respect, if I didn't see them play yet. But so far the few people I've seen do any of them weren't much better than any of the other people playing.

I would agree with you about people who can do them have spent alot of time at the table, but I've learned all of mine while sitting on the couch watching tv, or sitting on the computer, usually while waiting for my next hand. I'm sure theres plenty of other people that learned most of them before ever sitting at a table.

I guess my favorite would be the knuckle roll. It's one of the rarer ones I can do. Still working on the butterfly, its almost there...

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I slightly impressed by people who can do the more elaborate chip tricks, however, not so much that it would ever intimidate me. In fact, I find them to be a bit of a show-off, actually.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is VERY important to be able to handle chips. I wouldn't want my bet flying all over the table when I put it out.

I also don't want my stacks falling over either.

So, yes, chip handing is important to me.

Tricks? Overrated. Stop playing with the damn things and call, raise, or fold.

KingNothing4

KingNothing4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i do not think chip tricks and all that jazz is too important, cuz u can learn those at home in front of the computer or doing other things, i dont pay n e focus to chip tricks and such, i just pay attention to my game and others's game instead, seems more important to me since that decides whether u make a good or bad play against them.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My list of chip tricks:
1) At the most shuffling 2 stacks of 14 together...most commonly shuffling 2 stacks of 5 or 10.
2) Shuffling 2 different colored stacks perfectly 5 times in a row to return it back to normal
3) The Twirl
4) The Chip Bounce
5) the chip roll

Importance: none whatsoever, but Dutch Boyd may tell you otherwise.

S

snap

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
tricks

I really think that chip tricks do intimidate newer players. They would be less likely to call you with marginal hands. I dont think the tricks would make any difference to people that play frequently.;)

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've found shuffling is something that relaxes me and helps me think (of course when I fu** it up then it's just embarrassing and takes all my attention away from thinking :)). In terms of intimidation, I don't ever feel intimidated by anyone at a poker table. Our HS baseball coach would tell us "if you step into the batter's box intimidated by the pitcher, thinking he's better than you, and you get a hit off him, it was an accident". That said, I think I'd be a bit intimidated if Phil Ivey sat down at the table next to me. On the other hand, the intimidation would probably be a good thing, because that should be my cue to get up and leave, I enjoy having the chips I have :).