Can poker cause depression and mental illness?

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
when I lose, of course I'm sad, and is sadness good?

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
Emotion is part of mind and life mate, getting sad for losing is normal in poker. But if you have played your hands good then nothing we can do . If we did played the hand incorrectly though, we must analyze the hand to improve our game. Poker is fun and should remain so for our mind, whenever you feel bored and depressed cos of too many bad beats or poker , take a break will help it

T

Tidu84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you play for fun, so it ok. But if you play often, maybe you must handle your stress as well.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Does Poker cause me to be sad? Sure but as long as it is within my bankroll limits I really do not care that much, As for Mental Illness I think that a person must have Mental issues before he starts playing, as Poker cannot cause the Illness but only accelerate the condition, but that can be caused by many other forms of gambling and depression.

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it can be a trigger for depression or mental problems.
As a single reason it may be, but I think depression or mental problems mostly are deep hidden things,
that will come to life through such a trigger, like massive losses (monetary, emotional, life changing).
It is hard to find the way out of these situations without professional help,
You have to be able to accept help, what can be a problem in the situation.

lala123

lala123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all kinds of lows in life can create depression, but you just have to look forward no matter what happens. being sad is never the solution to anything

Nikon10000

Nikon10000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Playing poker involves elements of risk, uncertainty and possible financial loss. This can cause stress and tension, especially for people who gamble with large sums of money or suffer from gambling control problems. Poker can also create social and emotional pressures, especially in professional play where the results can have serious consequences on a player's income and self-esteem.
However, it is important to note that not all poker players experience these problems. Some people can enjoy playing poker without negatively affecting their mental health.

044hero

044hero

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bad beats and runs are part of the process, game) so you need to control yourself and take it easy as you can) this will be nice first of all - for yourself)

O

optikdave

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It doesn't cause depression and mental illness. It reveals depression and mental illness.

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Of course it can, just like any sort of gambling

poweROFLuck

poweROFLuck

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
for me its getting increased -_-

Bicskapocek

Bicskapocek

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, yes, luckily I haven't had one yet. But a friend of mine almost went mental. He grinded everything around him. Addiction is a very difficult thing, unfortunately we talk about it very little.

Achrarock

Achrarock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
Excessive stress and financial strain from poker losses can contribute to mental health issues, including depression. It's crucial to maintain a healthy balance, seek support, and prioritize your well-being.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Good and bad emotions are part of the game but if poker causes depression for anyone, They should do whatever it takes to never play again. They have everything to lose, and a game can't be worth it.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely, it might be deeper ingrained in the individual and poker might be a trigger to having an episode of depression.

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Trigger? Nah unless you loose so much. People that go manic ... gambling can be a really bad thing for them.

A

alonsorizo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CR
Chips
Not that it causes this type of disorder, on the contrary, it is a game that makes you competitive, want to improve and set goals. Of course, we should not ignore setting limits and playing with intelligence, otherwise you can develop certain emotions that are not so pleasant.