Poker Books

MikeShayne

MikeShayne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
STL PokerBum I hear a lot of ppl recommending his cash game books so I'm going to look into that but I've been researching books and came across one that was by Ed Miller called " the course " have u or anyone read that one and how does it rank to other cash game poker books.
We should start a Harrington Cash Game Book Club! Not sure if it's frowned upon in this forum to recommend other sites, but Miller does some absolutely terrific strategy articles on Cardplayer. Search for strategy articles on their site and get a taste of his writing style. I'm a fan.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the lists that I am seeing in this thread. Obviously, there is a lot of agreement and consistency.

Last edited:
Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mental Game of Poker, Raiser's Edge (and Kill Everyone), Every Hand Revealed would probably make bulk of my list.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Harrington in Holdem by Dan Harrington is the best I have heard but not read yet :) . I want to read it ( but after I complete some ebooks I have in my possession -don't know if these are of any good ) . I guess after these 3 books I'' ll try some cash theory book , we'll see .

M

MrRed484

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker books

Can someone recommended to me the best poker book for the modern game? I play mainly local live tournaments. Normally 5 tables of 10. My books seem to be dated and I'm stuck in the system of Dan Harrington. His book are great and have done me some justice but I need one for the modern game of hold'em. My game Is far to tight.

vic88888

vic88888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a book by Doyle Brunson called Super System. I have read it a bit. Pretty cool. Ultimately whatever you think your playing style is, is probably the most effective in my opinion.

M

MrRed484

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a book by Doyle Brunson called Super System. I have read it a bit. Pretty cool. Ultimately whatever you think your playing style is, is probably the most effective in my opinion.

Yeah I've heard of that book but it's dated. The game seems to have changed alot since then. I could do with a book based on the modern way. 4 bet Re'rasing.. Card ranges.., picking bluffing spots 10 way table, learning what fold equity is all about?

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are plenty of threads on CardsChat about poker books- Just search "poker books" in the search bar:)

You should get some good advice in here>> Poker Books

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the modern trends in poker suit the book mind Games ( Steve Gerard) but it is not strategy and style of play but I think I this book is a must-read for every player)

neontuning

neontuning

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would also like to read some about the history of poker, when it started, does anybody indicate any?

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
good books about Sit and Go

the best way to learn to play screens End of tournaments? can some political good book to read, or an article or a council that is

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I've heard of that book but it's dated. The game seems to have changed alot since then. I could do with a book based on the modern way. 4 bet Re'rasing.. Card ranges.., picking bluffing spots 10 way table, learning what fold equity is all about?

I disagree. The only thing about Super System that is "dated" is the terminology. It doesn't use the latest buzzwords, but the same concepts are there.

As for what you mention, "ranges", "bluffing spots", and "fold equity", you determine this by observing your opponents, getting a line on their play, while you're in pots with them, and especially when you're sitting on the sidelines. This hasn't changed one bit since the book was written, and even before.

T

totox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About books

What books would you recommend to read to improve your game? I consider myself a player below average player and I want to improve my skills in the game.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not much into poker books. I think you would do much better with twitch or recorded twitch sessions, tournaments and strategies many of which can be found for free on youtube. I will say I did find a couple books helpful for live play and those were "Reading Poker tells" and "Verbal poker tells" by Zachary Elwood.

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Mental Game of Poker 1&2 by Jared Tendler is a good place to start.

Svyat66556

Svyat66556

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good book to playing poker in living . ((Caro's Book of Poker Tells: The Psychology and Body Language)). You can learn a lot about the other players playing at your table. For playing online poker recommend this book ((kak-igrat-v-poker-online-stiv-bedzher))

P

PokerWeatherman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Joe Navarro's book is amazing about tells also. He was a profiler for the FBI for many years and wrote about how to tell when people are lying and what they do with their eyes, bodies, breathing, facial tics, mouths, etc. It will definitely improve your game.

N

nworsley94

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Essential Poker Math by Alton Hardin is a very good book, easy to read and follow. Available on Amazon accompanied by an online course I am yet to try

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Someone said Ed Millers new book is very solid. I haven't read it, but I trust the opinion. Ed's an OK player. He writes and explains well, that's his biggest strength imho.

G

Gnikace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great topic! I have read Sklansky's 'Theory', Gus 'Every hand..' and Negreanu 'Power...'. Sklansky's was the best one for me. Looking forward to reading some of the books recommended here. Thanks

PogHuk

PogHuk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friends, tell me honestly, after reading the above books, you are better to play?

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have bought and read a good many poker books. The biggest thing I learned while reading them is this. Read them, all the while still play, the more you play using some strategies in the books, the more you should go back and re-read the different concepts gone over in the books.
This will give you an even better understanding of what you read. Once you start using some concepts others will make more sense.
I feel that Phil Gordon's books have helped a good deal on my playing, I am going to re-read these as well now that I am getting back into the swing of things. I have his blue and red books on hard copy. I am going to be purchasing the gold book after going over the other ones again.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Friends, tell me honestly, after reading the above books, you are better to play?

I would say definitely, when I first started I had no idea about position or hands for that matter. When I first started and got an Ace in my hand I thought it had to be the best hand ever, Ace rag, yes I am going to win this hand. lol
Not only learning about the basics you also get into the head of some of the most respected players. Like this forum here, where else are you going to get poker players tell you what they are thinking during different phases in a tourney or cash game. At the tables from the players while the are playing against you? No way, most will never show you their hands unless you make them go to a show down.