which poker book should i read first?

CincyTim83

CincyTim83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there is better learning material through poker streams these days. getting to see strategy played out live and the players explaining their decisions are a lot better to learn from.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker by the Book by John Anhalt has helped me a lot to improve my poker skill. It has been written in a very straight forward and logical fashion, so that it builds my poker knowledge systematically. You may try with this amazing book.
Annie Duke / John Vorhaus book "Decide to Play Great Poker" was really interesting. Wouldn't suggest it as a first poker book

sik bump.............

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommended to my mentality poker player , though I can not concentrate every deal you see what caught me reading many videos juan martin shepherd who are in intellinpoker

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
brunson's super system is the best book available to read and learn.

I concur, and that's where I'd suggest anyone interested in learning start with Super System. Anything by Sklansky is good, though you'll have to work to understand the concepts as they are highly mathematical. Sklansky's "For Advanced Players" series is also excellent and well worth consideration.

I think this book is way outdated & for myself it wouldn't be on my Top20 poker books.

This is true only on a very superficial level. Games such as Five Card Draw and Draw Low are rarer than seal feathers in today;s cardrooms. Straight Seven Stud H/L was on its way out of favour when the book was published, and the first edition never discussed Stud-8, nor Omaha. That doesn't mean that there aren't any useful concepts to be found in those sections. They are definitely there.

As for the rest that remains relevant to today's Poker scene, The games haven't changed, and the advise and concepts are still as apropos now as the day they were written. Hold 'Em is still Hold 'Em, and played the same. The only things that have changed are that Hold 'Em is a helluvalot more popular these days than it was when Super System first appeared (when the Golden Nugget was also known as "The House of Hold 'Em as they were the only cardroom that spread the game on a regular schedule) and many cardrooms had placards to explain the game to passing tourists. Back when the only NLHE games to be found in 'Vegas were wsop side games, and now when it's the peoples' choice and pretty much available everywhere, and FLHE games are few and far between.

Fads and fashions change, but good information remains good information.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to read first theory and practice. Its a hard read though.

If however you are mostly playing live, Ill go with psychology of poker first because of its nature which is playing the people and phychology is a must.