Poker at the Olympics.

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not an Olympic sport IMO... One must run or jump or something to be an Olympian.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a great idea, would be an excellent way to get more visibility and grow the game.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
The idea has been raised many years back to no avail. In fact, poker itself is still, unfortunately, a controversial subject in so many parts of the world. Whether it's a game of skill or a game of chance is an ongoing debate preventing its regulation even in some supposedly "democratic" countries. But History has shown a lot of strange things and events. What looked like science fiction less than a century ago has become a common thing today. So we really never know !

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What's the password?

Oh.. I mean... This is the most ridiculous idea EVER! Poker in the Olympics?!?!?! Puh-Lease!

Maybe a good thread for a Poll?
Each member who chooses 'Yes' receives 1 pt.
Each sane person who chooses "No'... receives 5 pts.

gl

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are too many disciplines at the Olympics already. They should not add poker to them.

L

Lucky River

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this will forever remain in our dreams !!!

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cool

would you agree to see poker play at the olympics, each country would take 2 reps, i would think very good.
it would be great because poker is a cool sport and I could have a ranking of the best in each country to participate. I think it's a great idea if it ever happens it will be really cool

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Too good

It would be a good thing to give more visibility to poker, for me I already consider poker a sport

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
I don't regard poker as a sport and doubt it will ever be included in the Olympics.

But Break Dancing has been included in the 2024 Paris Olympics, so there must a remote chance for poker. I wonder if they would include Stud Hi/Lo and Razz. I would then stand a chance of qualifying to represent my country.

One thing is certain: if this ^ could ever happen then poker in the olympics would never last as long as typical cardchat game in pokerstars lol ...

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally would like it, the only problem is that it is not a physical sport. So I don't no if it meets the needed qualifications. Just my opinion.

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess Olympics are events that have been officially organized since 1927.
At the chess Olympics, the national teams of the member states of the International Chess Federation FIDE compete for gold, silver and bronze medals.
The 44th Chess Olympics will be held in Moscow this summer.
It would be interesting if other social games for which there are already competitions at the international level organized by official associations would join chess. There could be poker, go, checkers, backgamon and maybe a few more games.

Last edited:
M

Mahereid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting idea but not sure it counts as a sport to be eligible

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
would you agree to see poker play at the olympics, each country would take 2 reps, i would think very good.
:rofl:

:top:
Would be great!
What about Monopoly as an Olympic sport.

:top:
What's the password?
I tried What's, it didn't work.

;)
Oh.. I mean... This is the most ridiculous idea EVER! Poker in the Olympics?!?!?! Puh-Lease!

Maybe a good thread for a Poll?
Each member who chooses 'Yes' receives 1 pt.
Each sane person who chooses "No'... receives 5 pts.

gl
Beat me to it. I would have used almost identical wording.

Just what you want to see, when you see or think about an Olympic gold medallist.

d8fe97f5536f20bb4a159163ee32f280.png

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

If I believe that poker and also chess would have to take it as a sport in the future in the Olympics

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As with many here, I love poker but do NOT believe it should be considered a sport, nor should it be added to the Olympics. Chess has been trying to get into the Olympics for years and each time has been turned down (I don't believe chess should be in the Olympics either for the same reason as poker). Part of the reasoning they decline chess is because that would "give way" of precedence for other card games like Bridge (also been trying to get into the Olympics for years) and the Olympic committee has voiced their opposition to card games joining the Olympics for not being enough of a "sport."

I don't see how poker would really change if it was in the Olympics though; I don't think it should be added. Just like chess, poker events on television already have country flags next to the poker player name (and chess even has its own Olympiad event separate from the regular World Olympics).

Then again, perhaps some Olympic events should be taken out. Javelin throwing? Really? Isn't this a bit outdated? Ribbon dancing? Seriously? At least figure skating is on ice, but ribbon dancing is just hopping around with a ribbon. Then there is synchronized swimming...

I love watching the Olympics (Summer & Winter; although I like Winter Olympics even more), but I have a few opinions on some events. :D

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There was a recent thread in the news section which turned to this subject and a heated discussion followed.

In both cases the idea was raised by a Brazilian poster because (I believe) the matter is being discussed in Brazil. High profile sportsmen such as Neymar who play poker were asked the question and they were enthusiastic about the idea. First, I think poker is enjoying a high profile in Brazil not matched in other countries...and the country just hosted the Olympics recently...so the view is a little naive and perhaps Brazil-centric.

As others have pointed out, its is a mind game. Secondly many countries do not allow poker or gambling so it is hardly a global sport. But, more importantly as I pointed out in the other thread the Olympic Committee already looked closely at a card game which would have made a better fit with the Olympics - Bridge.

Whilst world class Bridge players can make a lot of money it is not regarded as a 'gambling' game as such but more a strategy game. Players compete in teams of two and there are long established world championship tournaments, It would seem to be a good potential fit for the Olympics. But the IOC rejected Bridge.

As I said before, if the Olympics already rejected Bridge I doubt they are going to seriously consider Poker as an Olympic 'sport' any time soon.

Oh good, someone else commented on Bridge, so that my asserting it doesn't seem like I'm making it up lol