Poker Announcers

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd like to add to my list of suggestions. Ever see the Heartland Poker Tour? The 2 commentators hosting the show are excellent without the BS usually added by others.

Chris Hanson and Fred Bevill-they're the HPT commentators. I like them. They both play and know the game. I like Mike Sexton and Vince Van Patton on the WPT too-it's always good to have a hall of famer commentating. I liked AJ Benza-he kept Kaplan's humor in line. Terrible mistake bringing in a chick(no offense) who doesn't know much about the game and has to do prerecorded interviews. If you're not allowed to talk during the hands you shouldn't be on the show.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Terrible mistake bringing in a chick(no offense) who doesn't know much about the game and has to do prerecorded interviews. If you're not allowed to talk during the hands you shouldn't be on the show.
Kara Scott? I'd say she knows about the game, at least tournaments. Among other wins, 3 cashes at the wsop. The only woman to cash in both the 2008 and 2009 ME, and the second woman to cash in consecutive ME's. Total winnings over half a million, and she's been a poker journalist and TV personality for years in canada and the UK before the US.

I like Kara, but I'll agree that she's not really a good fit on HSP, and I don't care for the interview segments either. I prefer PAD's format where Leann Tweeden just gives brief interviews a few feet from the table as they leave, or in between hands.

Sixes Full

Sixes Full

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like WPT Sexton and VVP, especially VVP's analogies "he's playing tighter than a Joan Rivers facelift.."

Ali is good and Gabe is OK.

Still love Chad and Mclaren just because it is WSOP.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kara Scott? I'd say she knows about the game, at least tournaments. Among other wins, 3 cashes at the WSOP. The only woman to cash in both the 2008 and 2009 ME, and the second woman to cash in consecutive ME's. Total winnings over half a million, and she's been a poker journalist and TV personality for years in Canada and the UK before the US.

I like Kara, but I'll agree that she's not really a good fit on HSP, and I don't care for the interview segments either.

^This, I agree Kara Scott's resume is impressive, and definitely underused on HSP, literally she's just eye candy reading scripted questions... and imo she looks way better in the WSOP tourneys wearing casual clothes rather than the HSP dresses that bedazzle her.

Boston1993

Boston1993

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TV Poker memo.

I've been watching a lot of poker shows recently and I think the quality of TV announcers has really gone down hill.

Lon and Norm at the WSOP (ESPN) can be annoying sometimes but they do know their poker.
I just wish Norm would stop with the 'Raging Cajun" and my ex-wife jokes

Ali Nejad(sp?) on Poker After Dark, generally calls a decent game.
And I do like Lee Ann Tweeden (even though she doesn't announce);)

Chris Rose and Joe Stapleton on The Big Game are just starting to get something going but they do need work.
Any why after just 3 weeks are they broadcasting a 'best of' series?
They've only had 3 loose cannon contestants!

Mike Sexton and Vince Van Patton on WPT are starting to get on my nerves especially Vince.
Mike is quite knowledgeable about poker but seems to be testing out his comedy act too much.
They need to tone it down.

The worst is High Stakes Poker.
Whoever decided to give Gabe Kaplan a solo spot in the show should be fired.
Gabe knows poker, he understands the game but half the time I feel I'm at a bad comedy club in the 70's.
Please will someone get him a partner.

I guess I'm gonna have to start watching with the sound muted!

Anyway what does anyone else think?

:cool:

Leo,
I agree on all counts. They appear to ge going overboard like golf, football, baseball, soccer, etc. They spend more time giving life histories than what is really happening. The phrases are usually out of order especially when they say a pair of KK's vs a pair of 22's and the KK's are the apparent winners. That's uncalled for in my opinion. KK has good cards, but I've been beaten with 222's when I had AA hole cards. There are lot's of hands that could pop up and win at that time. They are not mind readers and if they were, the money on the table would be more than what they most likely make telling us these stupid comments.
I would like to add that I've been watching for a few years and now they have a tournament that ends with no winner and you have to figure out if/when you will ever know. They need to get with the program, huh ?:mad: