Poker as a sport?

almanik

almanik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a sport. It has great community. Not all offitial sport discipline have so many people. But big problem of poker is not best dinamic. If you not fun of this game, you'll boring to wach tournaments or any other events.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The dictionary defines "sport" as the following:
Sport - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

If we take that definition as pure, then there are certainly some activities which qualify higher on a sports scale than others. Rugby for instance, and Futbol, or a Triathlon are clearly more 'sporty' than Baseball, or Golf. And to make it muddier, if golf is a sport, is miniature golf?

I used to play a lot of Pinball, and played properly required a lot of physicality, would it be considered a sport?

I, for one, like taking a sporting approach to poker. It allows me to (sometimes) say truthfully well played, or 'gg'. It also allows me to acknowledge when I have been outplayed.

W

willik1973

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With that, I probably do not agree. In sports, people show their achievements at the limit of human capabilities and greater presence in poker strategy, intuition and luck element

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the way I see. Do you have competition? Do you have a champion? The person who practice more have advantage over those who don't? The person who dedicates more also have advantage of those who don't?

Then yes, this is a F** Sport!! :D and one we love!

sergey ptz

sergey ptz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess is quite possible because the sport of poker, too !!! intellectual game!

MAdesG

MAdesG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me Is just a game but a lot of people thinks that it's a sport because the game is on ESPN sometimes but I think that's just a game with the luck element and strategy

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
No more than NASCAR, chess, or any activity that you can participate in while seated.

W

willik1973

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also agree with the last post - is something like a game of chess

C

callingtime

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not a sport. Sitting down in a chair for hours on end cant be considered a sport.
Maybe we can get some sports from poker. ex. mouse toss , laptop throw ?

T

Terrell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At least you have to have good stamina to play tourneys lol

Speedbruce

Speedbruce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think it has something to do with chess, chess is only about strategy, poker envolves a lot more like human behavior, observation, faking and the main factor that chess doesnt depends wich is Lucky! Anyway i think it is not a Sport and should be treated like a game.

S

SlavaUa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is not sport, intelectual activity yes but not sport

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is just a game of skillzs knot sport says Playful

luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it could make a world series with several participants per country to represent in Latin American World Cup is played is online rankings is to get enough points for x amount of tournaments would be good to do it globally and that the best represent their country, but really see it very complicated to realize that though the Olympics given four years to complete all these satellites qualifiers

Lubzhen

Lubzhen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is an intelligent game. Also poker inherent competitive elements.

kabrouto22

kabrouto22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not a sport. Sitting down in a chair for hours on end cant be considered a sport.

I guess i gotta work out cuz my back hurts like hell :cool:

samderot

samderot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

chess maybe not sport too?:joyman:

F

fener

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
for me poker is a sport not gamble like a slots but for my girlfriend

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is widely considered a sport, and it is officially considered a "mind sport", along with other games, such as chess. There actually is a mind sports Olympics, called the Mind Sports Olympiad. There is also what seems to be the more prestigious event, the World Mind Sports Games. Poker events are held at the former and it looks like they will eventually be included in the latter. The WMSG is interesting, because its creator specifically envisions a third type of Olympic Games, along with the Summer and Winter Games.

Nice informations, i didn't know that. Here in brazil poker is already considered a mind sport but we don't have a strong legislation helping this ideia to grow yet.

M

minmoney

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a sport to me, takes competition and skill to a new level

Mr Alvim

Mr Alvim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Olympics mio is difficult even happen lol . But why has the wsop tournaments, LAPT , BSOP ...

S

SHALABAS13

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find poker more than a sport than a game of chance

ovidiu9b

ovidiu9b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you surely can win more than on other sports :))

i7ohomapeb

i7ohomapeb

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not a sport but a way of life
Yes, and a lot of beautiful heifers)

Sakolik029

Sakolik029

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't consider poker a sport,it's life hobby,the similarity in poker and sports is that the person puts his soul their strength of will,patience,gaining experience,going to the achievements,wins prizes,while checkers and chess is considered a sport,but this is purely my opinion