Is poker a sport?

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The real dumbass, inactive, couch potato is you since you think of poker as a sport. I play REAL sports, such as basketball, tennis, even breakdancing. In real sports, skilled player will ALWAYS defeat unskilled player at ALL times. In chess, skilled chess player such as Anand, Bobby Fischer, or any legends of chess will beat me every single chess game. Best I can do is have a stalemate. But same does not apply for poker. Any dumbass, including yourself, can knock out Phil Ivey from the tournament or beat Ivey. Yes, Ivey will be more favorite to beat you but he can't guarantee himself that he'll beat you in poker on a specific given day. If you think I'm talking out of my ass, why don't you try watching past WSOP and see how they get knocked out. Skill in poker is determined through LONG-TERM result. But as a game, anybody can win but skilled player will be FAVORITE to win while unskilled players will be UNDERDOG to win. There's no guarantee in poker since variance plays a huge role in poker. There's a difference between a GAME and a SPORT. And you better believe it or not, MONOPOLY board game requires just as much skills as poker.

I know nuttin about chess, but I will beat at least one of any 2 top players you put me up against GTD, or two stalemates. Wanna bet?

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill with a element of chance, not a sport. Just like NASCAR , Backgammon or Scrabble.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know nuttin about chess, but I will beat at least one of any 2 top players you put me up against GTD, or two stalemates. Wanna bet?

Please stop talking out of your ass. You don't know anything about chess but you can beat top 2 players of chess? I'll bet my mother's house that you'll never beat Anand or any of grand chessmasters, such as Garry Kasparov, Vladimir Kramnik or Bobby Fischer if he was alive to this day. What are you going to say next? You can beat Lebron James in basketball or beat Lim Yo Hwan in starcraft? CHESS and STARCRAFT are two mental, strategy mind sports with very little chance or NO chance involved.

Anyone who knows how to play poker can sit down in a table and crush any professional poker player. I'll tell you all it takes. All it takes is good run of cards, nice turn/river cards for you, and few psychological tricks. No matter how good Ivey is, if I get the better side of the luck and the cards being dealt, I will beat Ivey. Professionals poker players are FAVORITE to beat amateurs but NOT Guaranteed to beat amateurs, just like how Pocket Aces are FAVORITE to beat pocket 3s but not guaranteed to beat them. But in sports, any skilled player will ALWAYS beat unskilled players.

Just like what Effexor said, Poker is a game of skills with an element of chance. Poker requires skills but doesn't qualify to be a sport. Monopoly board game requires as much skills as poker but doesn't qualify for being a sport.

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please stop talking out of your ass. You don't know anything about chess but you can beat top 2 players of chess? I'll bet my mother's house that you'll never beat Anand or any of grand chessmasters, such as Garry Kasparov, Vladimir Kramnik or Bobby Fischer if he was alive to this day. What are you going to say next? You can beat Lebron James in basketball or beat Lim Yo Hwan in starcraft? CHESS and STARCRAFT are two mental, strategy mind sports with very little chance or NO chance involved.

Anyone who knows how to play poker can sit down in a table and crush any professional poker player. I'll tell you all it takes. All it takes is good run of cards, nice turn/river cards for you, and few psychological tricks. No matter how good Ivey is, if I get the better side of the luck and the cards being dealt, I will beat Ivey. Professionals poker players are FAVORITE to beat amateurs but NOT Guaranteed to beat amateurs, just like how Pocket Aces are FAVORITE to beat pocket 3s but not guaranteed to beat them. But in sports, any skilled player will ALWAYS beat unskilled players.

Just like what Effexor said, Poker is a game of skills with an element of chance. Poker requires skills but doesn't qualify to be a sport. Monopoly board game requires as much skills as poker but doesn't qualify for being a sport.

You sir are an idiot, the answer is simple, I play both at the same time and mirror their moves = either 1 win 1 loss or 2 stalemates. Don't bet your mothers house you brainless whimp, oh I forgot, you don't have one. As for a skilled sportman ALWAYS beating an unskilled one, if that were true there would be no bookies as the favourite would always win. Stop talking out of YOUR ass.

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ur the biggest retard ever plm...anand kind of sucks try kasparov...im not a fat couch patato..(not saying u are)
i play sports like i stated above..
if poker not a sport what is it??
you not making anyone believe it a sport all u doing is making a fool of yourself at how angry and retarted u act :)

W

witl69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really wouldnt know where to start to try to argue this discussion but I have read some very interesting therios here on it and learned a few things that I had not even thought of ... I truly believe tat it is a sport but I dont know what the underlying criteria in my mind is that fuels that belief

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You sir are an idiot, the answer is simple, I play both at the same time and mirror their moves = either 1 win 1 loss or 2 stalemates.

This doesn't work. Once you were put in check you could not continue mirroring his moves.

Edit: I misunderstood, you mean to play both at once and use pro A's moves on pro B's board, effectively playing A vs B with you removed from the equation.

Last edited:
M

m2lucky

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so looking at some of the arguements of whats a sport is I think we should look at the origin of the word sport, which came from 15th century: late Middle English (in the sense 'pastime, entertainment'): shortening of disport. So since poker is a pastime, it is therefore a sport. Just like chess, bboying, monopoly, football, baseball, scrabble, golf, nascar, basketball, and many other sports.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You sir are an idiot, the answer is simple, I play both at the same time and mirror their moves = either 1 win 1 loss or 2 stalemates. Don't bet your mothers house you brainless whimp, oh I forgot, you don't have one. As for a skilled sportman ALWAYS beating an unskilled one, if that were true there would be no bookies as the favourite would always win. Stop talking out of YOUR ass.

Now I clearly know that you have no knowledge about chess. You really think mirroring grandchessmaster's will even result in stalemate? Only goes to show how brainless you are. And actually, my parents Do have a house that's NOT mortgaged and also own two houses and 1 apartment in Seoul, South Korea. And don't worry, I'll bet my mother's house because I clearly know that you'll never beat any of world champions of chess, not even one game. If you're lucky, you'll have a stalemate but I highly doubt it. Reason why I'll bet my mother's house is because I'm clearly sure you'll never beat any of top champions of chess, just like how you'll never beat Kobe Bryant or Lebron James in basketball. So stop talking out of your ass. Don't try to validate poker as sports just because chess is a mind sport. There's a difference between chess and a sport. No dumbass or an idiot can sit down with very little knowledge or strategy of chess and beat chess grandmasters. But any donk, idiot, fish, or whatever you can call it can beat professional poker player because of heavy variance involved in poker.

As for poker, Poker is a game of skills but not a sport. Poker is still gambling. ANYBODY with very few knowledge of poker can win against professional poker players. Professional poker players are just favorite to beat unskilled poker player but they cannot guarantee themselves that they'll beat him. Ivey is heavily favorite to beat me but he can't guarantee himself that he'll beat me on certain given day, just like how Pocket Aces cannot crack pocket 10s on any given day.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ur the biggest retard ever plm...anand kind of sucks try kasparov...im not a fat couch patato..(not saying u are)
i play sports like i stated above..
if poker not a sport what is it??
you not making anyone believe it a sport all u doing is making a fool of yourself at how angry and retarted u act :)

And you're a genius who tries to validate poker as a sport by saying poker is a sport when it does not meet the requirements of being a sport? In sports, there are little or no chance involved.
Am I supposed to make people believe that poker is a sport? I'm stating the truth. And the real retard in this thread is you, who tries to validate poker as a sport because you have never played any sport seriously. Poker is not a sport. It's simply a GAME of skills. Just like how Monopoly and blackjack are game of skills but not a sport. You're only making yourself look like an idiot who tries to validate poker as a sport. If poker is a sport, I would've pursued my extra curriculum activities in poker during my high school years and write that on the application for universities saying I played poker as a sport. Please stop talking out of your ass.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
concise_oed.gif

sport

noun 1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others. 2 [SIZE=-1]informal[/SIZE] a person who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, etc. 3 success or pleasure derived from an activity such as hunting. 4 [SIZE=-1]dated[/SIZE] entertainment; fun. 5 [SIZE=-1]chiefly Austral./NZ[/SIZE] a friendly form of address, especially between unacquainted men. 6 [SIZE=-1]Biology[/SIZE] an animal or plant showing abnormal or striking variation from the parent type as a result of spontaneous mutation.
verb 1 wear or display (a distinctive item). 2 amuse oneself or play in a lively way.
[SIZE=-1]— PHRASES[/SIZE] the sport of kings horse racing.
[SIZE=-1]— DERIVATIVES[/SIZE] sporter [SIZE=-1]noun[/SIZE].
[SIZE=-1]— ORIGIN[/SIZE] shortening of [SIZE=-1]DISPORT[/SIZE].

concise_oed.gif

game1

noun 1 an activity engaged in for amusement. 2 a form of competitive activity or sport played according to rules. 3 a complete episode or period of play, ending in a final result. 4 a single portion of play, forming a scoring unit within a game. 5 (games) a meeting for sporting contests. 6 the equipment used in playing a board game, computer game, etc. 7 a type of activity or business regarded as a game. 8 a secret plan or trick. 9 wild mammals or birds hunted for sport or food.
adjective eager and willing to do something new or challenging: they were game for anything.
verb play at games of chance for money.
[SIZE=-1]— PHRASES[/SIZE] ahead of the game ahead of one’s competitors or peers. beat someone at their own game use someone’s own methods to outdo them. the game is up the deception or crime is revealed or foiled. on the game [SIZE=-1]Brit.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]informal[/SIZE] working as a prostitute. play the game behave in a fair or honourable way; abide by the rules.
[SIZE=-1]— DERIVATIVES[/SIZE] gamely [SIZE=-1]adverb[/SIZE] gameness [SIZE=-1]noun[/SIZE] gamester [SIZE=-1]noun[/SIZE].
[SIZE=-1]— ORIGIN[/SIZE] Old English, amusement, fun.

Poker is a game.

The big difference between a game and a sport is the presence of physical activity.

TexasPokerStar

TexasPokerStar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker a Sport... lol

I guess this question comes out more then often... the reality is that people get confused, because they see poker on the ESPN and right away say it's a sport.

I don't think it's a sport...

what's next CHESS

lol

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As for a skilled sportman ALWAYS beating an unskilled one, if that were true there would be no bookies as the favourite would always win. Stop talking out of YOUR ass.

Actually, idiot, bookies book games that are between skilled players in sports. If I were to have 1 on 1 match against Kobe Bryant, there will not be a single bookie who will book a game on me. But if I were to go heads-up against Phil Ivey, I will have people who will book the game on me because they know I'm underdog but they'll get lot of profit if I actually win, which I can still do although chances are very slim(not as slim as me trying to beat Kobe Bryant), just like how pocket 3s can crack pocket Aces. If you don't believe me, look at the bookies booking their chances on heavy underdogs in November Nine. Ivey's favorite but he can't guarantee himself that he can win. Even guys like Phil Ivey can get knocked out by any of November Nine if he runs card dead since his chance of winning main event this year is 5:1 underdog according to sports bookies and half of the members at the final table are amateurs. 5:1 underdog is still favorite for Ivey because people who has as much chips as Ivey are 12:1.

Last edited:
Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a side note, body building is not considered a sport.

There was a big debate with the Olympic Committee to try and get it included.

The rulled against on the basis that whilst physical exertion was required in training, the actual competing of the activity did not include any physical competition and therefore it didn't qualify as a sport.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say poker is a sport :)

The dictionary says otherwise.

If we are going to disregard dictionary definitions then why stop at poker being a sport.

New Poll: Poker is an ORANGE.

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is definatly not an orange hahaha
i really really don't care what anyone or any book states :) to me it a sport i love :)...
no more answers from me here coz it like free posts...
btw..i wont regard body building as a sport..

M

m2lucky

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes poker is most definitaly not an orange lol. That is the stupidest thing I heard, lol but I got a good laugh out of it

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If Greg Raymer can win a poker championship, I just can't count it as a sport!

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
greg raymer may have cheated people etc but he is a very good player none the less ...
he has experience and knowledge and skill..
i still regard him as one of the bests and him winning a a "poker championship" was no suprise

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion I do not think that poker is a sport nor is chess a sport it doesnt require any physical exertions but it does involve mental exertion same for chess.

playsuji6

playsuji6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NO!!! Ofcourse not!! A Sport must be involving both the mental and the physical of the human being.
getting up for all-in and throwing the button and chips will not count to be physical. It would be silly if we call it.

But poker is not, 70+ oldman playing a sport..???

POKER is a Game!!!!

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For those who think poker is a sport, check out this show called Face the Ace. See how amateurs and couch potatoes crush and school Ivey, Ferguson, Lindgren, Lederer in heads-up matches. That's clear explanation that poker cannot be considered a sport. After all, poker is still gambling. It's a gambling game that requires skills but it's still gambling. Skill is only determined through lifetime winning and through long-term results.

Last edited:
R

rodelzki

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ask the question to all cardchat members today, Is Poker a sport? First of all how would one define sport, does sport have to be a game of physical nature like football or hockey, or does sport have to be involved with both the body and the mind. I would argue that moving the chips around, and standing up for all ins, and when you get a bad beat, throwing your mouse across the room could be part of the physical nature of the game. Yet it is not nearly as physical as a full contact sport.

Secondly you could define a sport but something that is on espn (which poker is) because espn is a sports network. On the other hand so it the spelling bee, so we might not be able to use the definition of, its on espn, as a viable one.

So in conclusion I ask all cardschat members how would you define a "sport" and would you believe poker falls into that realm, and if you do believe that is so, how would you convince someone who believes otherwise?

From the net:
Sport basically is an activity which is administrated by a particular set of rules or traditions and generally engaged in competitively. Sports are usually addressed to activities where the material capabilities of the competitor are the only or chief determiner of the outcome, though this expression is even applied for activities like mind sport as well as motor sport.

If I am going to refer to the description of the author here about SPORT I would say that POKER is not a SPORT. Why I say it is not a sport? It is because we don't strain our body muscles though when we are tilting we feel stressed.

SHALOM

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker isn't a sport for obvious reasons.

However, I'm not liking the implication that simply because just anybody can knock Phil Ivey out of a single tournament or match that it somehow negates the quality of the game.

Can that same lucky sob felt Phil Ivey 2, 3, or more times in a row? Why stop at Ivey though. If talking about the biggest known players, will a random, lucky, unskilled player beat them 2, 3, or more times in a row? Not talking about lucky shoves, but when the game actually gets down to it's finest qualities. Will Mr. or Ms. Lucky manage to pull it off?

Somehow I doubt it.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those who think poker is a sport, check out this show called Face the Ace. See how amateurs and couch potatoes crush and school Ivey, Ferguson, Lindgren, Lederer in heads-up matches. That's clear explanation that poker cannot be considered a sport. After all, poker is still gambling. It's a gambling game that requires skills but it's still gambling. Skill is only determined through lifetime winning and through long-term results.

I watched Face the Ace. The first amateur wisely punked out of moving past the first match. The second one also wisely went for all three matches and lost in the third. The third one seemed all hopped up on a cocaine and red bull smoothie and didn't appear to stand a chance against any pro.

See I get where you're coming from, but so far as I know, Full Tilt hasn't had to pay a million dollars to any lucky amateur who has played on Face the Ace. If it's so easy for just anybody to win, then shouldn't it be a piece of cake to win the full million?

The thing about Face the Ace is that you have to win three matches against three different pros. I believe that if the format were set up so that Full Tilt has even more of an edge, where all three matches were against the same pro, that it would be even less likely for just any amateur to win more than $40k. I really believe the pro would figure out the am by at least the middle of the second match and simply outplay them.