tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People are broke?

But not all freerolls are for pennies. I played one (first one in a long time), that was 10k prize pool and only 350~ people.

I played a 13k free roll a few years back 7 handed .

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think they play the tournaments they want and the freeroll at the same time.so they dont loose their time.1 more tournament is not a problem

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just do not understand the nature of FreeRolls or more precisely why anyone plays them. I mean I do not consider myself dumb, unpractical, or illogical.

But many must do...I mean 500 players all duking it out over the same $2.50. So you will give up 4 hours of your life for a 2% shot at $2.50?????

Then do it over and over and over expecting different results....is that not the definition of insanity....

I played a free roll and won last year on Americas Card Room. It took me many many hours. I won the $2.50....I put that $2.50 into a cash game and got it up to $5 and then put that into a $5 SNG game and placed 2nd. Then entered a DON and doubled and then entered a good $50 MTT and lost in that MTT busting right before the bubble.

I thought back and realized this is why people play free rolls. To build it up for a chance to take down a large MTT......

I have never successfully done that again though.....

Why?

Beside the attraction of getting something for nothing, you cant learn much from them as they do not play the same as a real game. You cannot build BR from them unless you truly just absolutely do not work and have no life , no family, no kids, no friends, no pets, no need to eat or shower..lol

In all seriousness, is it purely the joy of winning something from nothing? Is that the pure attraction?

I guess private free rolls like here at card chat etc may offer more real play from more true players, but I'm talking your ever day run of the mill free roll on some big poker site. Why in the world would you play em in any serious manner outside of pure boredom and some free time?

While the play is different between freerolls and real money tables, being able to consistently beat the freerolls would be pretty impressive, don't you think? It takes significant poker skill to beat them over and over and over again. Now while you may think there is no benefit to playing them would you not concede that if you started out NOT being able to beat them consistently and then after a few months you ARE able to beat them consistently, that you learned something?

I think freerolls are one side of a spectrum of tournament types. While not likely, theoretically you could face a bunch of shove-monkeys at a real money game.....what would you do in that situation? Your experience navigating freerolls would help you here. I think freerolls help you learn how to deal with super aggressive players in general. And you will find super aggressive players at real money tables.....

T

terryg642

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
please help me understand

If you love poker and are broke it is not a problem to play for hours .Think about all the free time people spend watching tv or playing video games, I would much rather play poker,and maybe one day I'll be good enough were I can play in regular tourneys .There are different types of free rolls to, I once almost got into the poker maximus main event, 250,000 tourney, by winning entry to a prequalifier through a free roll.

J

johnbossinger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls

Well for one its a way to get to real money without any investment but time. I used this strategy back before the blackout and was ranked in the top half percent on FullTilt until i took a run of bad beats to deplenish my bankroll! Ended at 92% in the money where until the last week of december I was 99.66%. So its more of a what are you willing to risk or are you just playing for the hell of it. It all started with an $18 win and built it up grinding through the 90 man sngs. I always have and will play in freerolls also because it does keep some players out of the real games. That is what freerolls can do and thats after a week long bad streak:jd4: Year 2009 92.44% $3,335- 1,280games 15% 69,354 of 917,927