Not open for further replies.
dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How does posting from the cutoff have any disadvantage compared to the blinds with regard to HUD's and getting comfortable at the table. If anything, I would think that it would be an advantage to only have to post 1 bb in good position for the first two hands you see instead of 1.5 bb from the worst positions.

I am thinking here of the guy who sits and is too itchy to wait. He sits and plays from the CO before having a chance to watch the table. Besides that traditional advice to wait for the bb because it is silly to (usually) pay 2 BB's for that first orbit, we also get a chance to watch the table. Perhaps more useful live than online, but nevertheless.......

Last edited:
TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how did this
I've played in enough hands and tables to form an opinion about this...and every time I jump in a game first chance...pay the big blind right away...I've gotten rags! When I click on "wait for big blind", I've always gotten some worth looking at the flop! And I'm talking 1000's of tables on FTP....so if you're just starting real money RING games...try waiting before jumping in! Just my observation for what it's worth....GL ALL!:creep: :creep: :creep:

turn into this thread. good stuff though in here now

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We're talking about a situation that can only occur once during your entire time at a table. Depending on how long you stay at a table, it's probably about as small a leak as anyone can have. So playing it incorrectly will have almost no effect on someone's winning or losing status. It's only important because...

Correct 1 time per table per session. I average 20 tables a session (16 tables at a time but I guess 4 break up/ turn bad on average). So for me that's $20 per session in blinds that I wouldn't have to pay. I played ~450 sessions last year. That's $9000 in blinds posted from the CO. It's a leak and it's easy to fix.

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Correct 1 time per table per session. I average 20 tables a session (16 tables at a time but I guess 4 break up/ turn bad on average). So for me that's $20 per session in blinds that I wouldn't have to pay. I played ~450 sessions last year. That's $9000 in blinds posted from the CO. It's a leak and it's easy to fix.

Game, set, and match to WVHillbilly. :) As with everything else in poker small actions played out over a large enough sample size have big effects.

Edit: I have to show love to the cartoon x2486 posted. I actually did lol. :)

Last edited:
atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always wait for the BB before i post.

gnk2727

gnk2727

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Game, set, and match to WVHillbilly. :) As with everything else in poker small actions played out over a large enough sample size have big effects.

Edit: I have to show love to the cartoon x2486 posted. I actually did lol. :)

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont wait for BB at micro limits, which is probably not smart, but generally that is my time to drink and play hyper-aggressive

at a $5/$10 or even a $1/$2, then no way im throwing that blind in

a nickel i can afford to see some cards right away even if it is statistically silly :)

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am thinking here of the guy who sits and is to itchy to wait. He sits and plays from the CO before having a chance to watch the table. Besides tha tradiutional advice to wait for the bb because it is silly to (usually) pay 2 BB's for that first orbit, we also get a chance to watch the table. Perhaps more useful live than online, but nevertheless.......

Just to be reiterate, posting from the cutoff at a 9-handed table costs exactly the same per hand as posting the standard BB & SB. Posting between the cutoff and BB would cost more per hand. Traditional advice can sometimes be wrong.

An open question to anyone in this thread: How many hands do you usually observe before playing? If you sit down UTG, do you post the BB right away, or do you sit out for a round?

how did this

[RIGGED!]

turn into this thread. good stuff though in here now

By ignoring the rigged stuff. :)

You seem to be under the impression that money posted from the blinds gives you a better return than money posted from the cutoff. I don't want to say anything negative here since this has been an interesting discussion, but I don't get the feeling that you're willing to consider that you might be mistaken, so I don't see much purpose in trying to convince you. I might suggest you take a look at your win rate for those positions and see where you think your blind money is better invested. Good Luck!

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An open question to anyone in this thread: How many hands do you usually observe before playing? If you sit down UTG, do you post the BB right away, or do you sit out for a round?

what iv'e done is i have my filter or the "wait for bb" thing set so when i'm table selecting no matter where im at i just wait for the blind

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll post more later but using my WRs posted earlier by position I think I can show that posting in the CO would cost you .66BB/100.

Going home now. Will post maths later.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, let's do some math. I'll use my WR by position that I posted on the previous page. I'll make the assumption that posting in the CO doesn't effect our WR from that position (before the posts are deducted).

Now we're going to play 2 sets of 100000 trips around a FR table (the table will always be full). 1 set will wait for the BB and leave before he posts his last BB. This set will play exactly 900000 hands. The other set will always wait for the CO to post it's 1st blind. This set will play fewer hands. Exactly how many fewer will depend on how many sessions we play and how many tables we play per session.

Here is the breakdown for our 100000 circuits if we play 1000 hands per session and average 20 tables per session:
1khands

If we play 1500 hands per session:
1500hands

If we play 3000 hands per session:
3000hands

Note that I left the tables per session at 20 but the longer the session goes the more likely it would be that we would average more tables further hurting our WR when we post from the CO.

So what if we could do it all in 1 20 table session? Well we still make $12.55 more by waiting for the BB. All this means at my WR per position we lose $.63 for every $1 blind we post from the CO.

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, let's do some math. I'll use my WR by position that I posted on the previous page. I'll make the assumption that posting in the CO doesn't effect our WR from that position (before the posts are deducted).

Now we're going to play 2 sets of 100000 trips around a FR table (the table will always be full). 1 set will wait for the BB and leave before he posts his last BB. This set will play exactly 900000 hands. The other set will always wait for the CO to post it's 1st blind. This set will play fewer hands. Exactly how many fewer will depend on how many sessions we play and how many tables we play per session.

Note that I left the tables per session at 20 but the longer the session goes the more likely it would be that we would average more tables further hurting our WR when we post from the CO.

So what if we could do it all in 1 20 table session? Well we still make $12.55 more by waiting for the BB. All this means at my WR per position we lose $.63 for every $1 blind we post from the CO.

Okay, I'm a little confused by what you have here, so maybe you could explain some things to me.

1. Why are you including the blinds and button in your "Post in CO" sheets? The scenario I have been talking about all along was where you could post a single BB in the cutoff and skip the blinds and button. I thought you understood this because you explained it to someone else here...

I don't think he's actually say he would leave every 6 hands, just using the extremes to try to prove his point. It makes comparison easier. Same idea applies though even if he stays for a thousand hands.

What I have been trying to demonstrate is that it would be profitable if you could do this every round, therefore it is a winning, not a losing play to do it every time you join a table.

2. What is that extra money you're subtracting (-$18,000, -12,000, -6000) from each "Post in CO" sheet?

3. Why would you not play the same number of total hands in each example to make the comparison clearer.

4. What difference does it make how many hands are played per session or how many tables you play? All of my discussions have essentially been about comparing posting the standard BB & SB and playing 9 hands with posting 1 BB in the cutoff and playing 6 hands. Each of these "rounds" can be taken as a discrete event and it doesn't matter how many hands you play per session, though comparing the rounds in a 2:3 ratio will make things easier because the total hands and blinds will be identical.

Where the number of hands per session does become a factor is in the real world where it is not practical to switch tables every round just so you can get the (very large) benefit of posting in the cutoff. (I will explain shortly) In this case, the advantage that you get by posting in the cutoff is diminished for each additional round you play where you must post the standard BB & SB until it eventually becomes completely insignificant.

So, here are the numbers as they should have been presented: (the table on the left is your original one for comparison)

CutoffSheet1.jpg

Here I'm comparing 100,000 rounds of standard full ring with 150,000 rounds of "skip the blinds, post in the cutoff" full ring. This is so that we end up playing the same number of hands. First, I remove the BB, SB and Button because they are never played. The only tricky part is, what does posting a bb in the cutoff do to your win rate.

I started by making the slightly generous assumption that if you didn't have to post the BB, your win rate in the BB position would be the same as UTG. That would mean that posting the BB causes you to lose 21.83 BB/100 in that position. So I subtracted that from your current win rate in the cutoff to come up with a win rate of -7.43 BB/100. I suspect that you would have no problem doing much better than that, and might even achieve a positive win rate, but even at that level the results are impressive.

As you can see, you could be making at least 1 extra BB/100 if you could post one BB in the cutoff every round and skip the blinds and button. Even if you don't believe the win rate I chose is valid, the break even point is a win rate of -13.39 - worse than you're currently experiencing in the SB.

I hope this helps. Good luck at the tables.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
???

How do you come up with a CO number of -$22,290? In your example you would be posting from the CO 150,00 times, once for every time you sit down in your post behind every time world right? So using my 14.4BB/100 WR in the CO for 150K hands it would be $43,420 - $150,000 or -$106,800!!!

Exactly contrary to what you're saying the more often you post from the CO the more you lose. Your WR from the CO should remain exactly the same whether you have posted or not. So you'll end up winning the same from that position and then you have to subtract out the money you posted.

HUGE LOSING PLAY!

D

dudesenior

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the sit out to avoid BB is an interesting strategy....will try this in a test
but poker is a gamble.you can't just fold because you have 27.
i can't remember how many times i've made a full house with these 2 cards.
indeed when your bankroll is insuficient you have to be carefull.
anyway....its all about luck.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, never say never. It makes sense to rarely post early when you first get to a table, but a lot of times if I do it is to make the others at the table think, "good, here's a fish that's posting early instead of waiting for the bb"

And yeah, it's random on getting good or bad cards when you post early. You just probably get bad cards most of the time when you post early. You probably also get bad cards most of the time when your just playing at a table.

I used to do this, when I first started but purely because I didn't think it really mattered or cared about it.

It does make and a difference and you shouldn't do it, you most definitely lose money doing this.

As for your logic in people thinking "here is a fish" at micros no one would ever notice this or think this in my opinion, even further up the stakes - some people just want to jump straight into the action and if they are playing one table don't want to just wait for the BB to come round.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the sit out to avoid BB is an interesting strategy....will try this in a test
but poker is a gamble.you can't just fold because you have 27.
i can't remember how many times i've made a full house with these 2 cards.
indeed when your bankroll is insuficient you have to be carefull.
anyway....its all about luck.

Eh? Why is it? Doesn't it just lose you money as you're losing out on seeing hands for free, prior to sitting out. You still have to pay the BB when you rejoin so it makes no difference..

Poker is a gamble yeah, but there's is a lot of skill and people can put that to their advantage to take away so much of the gamble.

As for your 2,7 hand example, you of course can make a FH every now and again but keep calling pre flop with these hands is a sure loser in the long run.

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
???

How do you come up with a CO number of -$22,290? In your example you would be posting from the CO 150,00 times, once for every time you sit down in your post behind every time world right? So using my 14.4BB/100 WR in the CO for 150K hands it would be $43,420 - $150,000 or -$106,800!!!

There is so much wrong with what you've just said that I'm not quite sure where to begin. Your calculation is completely wrong. You don't just subtract the blinds posted from your $ earned, and you cannot have a loss when you have positive WR.

Morbo.jpg

Just look at the numbers from your own tables if you don't believe me. You have losses in both the BB and SB, and negative WR's in both positions to match.

The correct calculations are as follows:

$Earned = Hands / 100 * WinRate * bb

and

WinRate = $Earned / bb / Hands * 100

so the correct CO profit is:

150,000 / 100 * -7.43 * $2 = $-22,290

And if you think you should actually be losing $106,000 in the cutoff, then your win rate would be:

$106,000 / $2 / 150,000 * 100 = -35.6 bb/100

You were only losing 20.05 BB/100 when posting your BB in the second worst position. How could you possibly lose at almost twice that rate when you're playing from the second best position?

Exactly contrary to what you're saying the more often you post from the CO the more you lose. Your WR from the CO should remain exactly the same whether you have posted or not. So you'll end up winning the same from that position and then you have to subtract out the money you posted.

HUGE LOSING PLAY!

Are you serious? There is not one thing correct in that last statement. You really think that posting a blind has no effect on your WR? No effect on the hands you play? No effect on how others play against you? Just what do you think WR means?

Do you think you would still have a WR of -20 in the bb even if you did not have to post the blind? I really do not know how to begin to correct this level of confusion.

HUGE WINNING PLAY!

Olddog21

Olddog21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You always wait for the BB to post, never post out of turn. Not because you are going to get crappy cards, but because you will lose money over the long run. Also when you are going to leave a table, wait until you are UTG to leave. Just unclick the auto-post blinds box because you have already paid the blinds to see the remaining hands in that rotation.

You getting crappy cards everytime you post out of turn, and getting good cards when you wait, is just something that happened randomly. You have the same chance of getting AA if you posted out of turn or whether you waited for the BB :).
Thank you....that also took some time to figure....why not atleast look at next 7 hands.....they are free!

TheDevilsLuck

TheDevilsLuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ummmmm.... How are you figuring this CO win rate exactly? Wouldn't you just have to - a dollar from every fold he makes? I mean... he probably just flat out folds 70 to 75 thousand of those hands...

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you....that also took some time to figure....why not atleast look at next 7 hands.....they are free!

You can look at as many free hands as you want (until they kick you out of your chair) - just sit out until you feel comfortable that you want to play at that table. It has no bearing on whether you post behind or not.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is so much wrong with what you've just said that I'm not quite sure where to begin. Your calculation is completely wrong. You don't just subtract the blinds posted from your $ earned, and you cannot have a loss when you have positive WR.

Ummm yeah, that's exactly how it works and your WR is only positive if you don't have to post the blinds. Go back and look at my table from page 1. In the BB I won $10,818.60 without the blinds. That sample was for 50nl over 36121 hands from the BB or $18,060.50 worth of blinds posted. So my SUPER DUPER CORRECT math says that my $$ won from the BB should be $10,818.60 (money won) - $18,060.50 (blinds posted) or -$7,241.90.

I'll post the table here again for reference and maybe you can tell me where my math is wrong again???
attachment.php

Just keep posting and I'll just keep winning.

Last edited:
x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ummmmm.... How are you figuring this CO win rate exactly? Wouldn't you just have to - a dollar from every fold he makes? I mean... he probably just flat out folds 70 to 75 thousand of those hands...

I thought I explained it pretty clearly, but here it is again. His current WR UTG is 1.78, so he obviously plays very few hands there, or if he does, then he's just barely breaking even at that position. If he did not have to pay the bb, then I assume his WR in that position would be even less because he would have no incentive to play more hands from a worse position. Just to be generous to his side of the discussion, I assumed that his WR would be the same as UTG even though it actually should be lower.

His actual WR in the bb is -20.04, so obviously, his WR drops way down because he has to pay the bb. He either folds and loses the blind, or he calls and is forced to play from a bad position. Sometimes he gets lucky and it's limped or folded around to him. So posting the bb is causing a drop of 21.82 bb/100 in his WR for that position.

His cutoff WR is 14.4 - it's actually his most profitable position. He's playing more hands there and winning more often. Since he is already playing a lot of hands there, posting a blind should have less of an effect on his win rate than it did in the bb. But again, to be kind to his side I assumed that the effect on his WR from posting the blind would be the same as in the bb, so I subtract the full 21.82 from his cutoff WR to get -7.42.

I didn't try to take into account the fact that he gets an extra blind added to his pot from the bb position, even though that would only improve his situation. Neither did I just average the two winrates which would have given a WR of -2.82 in the cutoff and boosted his overall WR to 4.815 for an additional $13,830 over 900,000 hands.

If anyone has a better estimate for a WR when posting the bb in the cutoff, I'd like to see it. And if WVH wants to share his vp$ip and "saw flop" percentages for the bb, utg, and cutoff, then I might be able to come up with a more accurate win rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands