Playing AK

T

TIGERSTUMP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always fire out a continuation bet after raising preflop most times poeple will muk .even if your a has not hit the flop...if u take the pot down good...if your called or even rareaised u can easily throw your ak away

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're the raiser you need to continuation bet most of the time. Unless your playing agains Mr Aces and Kings (a rock). If you reraised and got called play very carefully, you only have ace high. Most of the time if i get played with i'd dump it, its not worth it and you get 2 new cards the very next hand.

B

buzzopaff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Everybody Calls?

I can only assume this is a free game, not real money ??? 3x THE BIG BLIND and everybody calls ??? Continuation bet just suicide against 9 other players.Or am I missing something here ???

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree absolutely worthless. This hand gets me in trouble more times than I would like to admit. A simple drawing hand at best, and, one that is overplayed far to often.

Happened again. AK off, I call a small raise to see the cheap flop. Flop K, rag, rag all off. I push and the guy calls with the bullets. Go figure, and I will never learn! I used to think it was kinda funny. Not today.

puppyfeet

puppyfeet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely depends on the situation. Go with your gut. Isn't that what makes us the player we are?

If by "player we are" you mean an ATM for the others at the table, then by all means go with your gut.;)

If y'all have questions about playing a hand like AK, AA, JJ, whatever, you can use the search function at the top of the page to find previous posts that will direct you to all kinds of advice: in-depth advice about playing those cards with regard to position, chip stacks, your opponents, etc.; things that in time all poker players learn (and continue to learn) that help in their decision making for every hand that they play!

That will get you a lot farther than going with your gut does, I promise!!!:D

Last edited:
S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO its a lot safer if you hit your king on the flop. People will play ace anything pre flop and aces up can wipe you out.

Nothing on the flop I make a continuation bet, if I get called by 1 I bet again on the turn if it did not appear to improve any draws from the flop.

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can only assume this is a free game, not real money ??? 3x THE BIG BLIND and everybody calls ??? Continuation bet just suicide against 9 other players.Or am I missing something here ???

That's exactly what I was thinking...everybody calls. Normally, Raise with AK preflop and c-bet postflop no matter what... when you're against 1-2 players. But if Everyone called, screw it unless you connect. If you raised pre, 3-4xbb and everyone calls, it's play money, or the biggest bunch-o-jackasses ever.

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
may be continuation bet is too costly some time,especially when in tournament you are short stack.so just fold if you hit nothing.
and if you have AK suited,just all in preflop.

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
There are two schools of thinking on it. One schools says play AK like it's AA, with a big bet preflop and a bigger continuation bet unless the flop comes something wierd like three of a suit or three to a straight. This way, you might fold everyone and win the pot anyway. Even if you lose, you get callers on your AA continuation bet next time.

Me, I'm a Cloutier disciple. Cloutier thinks the most important thing about AK is knowing when to fold it, preflop or postflop.

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love AK but pre-flop if u face a raise a call and another call uve gotta think is AK strong at this time? Ive folded AK when a multiway pot was on way only to realise ppl were playin AQ, KQ, AT so fat chance of hittin my premium hand. But if there isnt many ppl to play against allways raise with AK n allways make a c/bet on the flop. Plus u have to over cards if the flop brings now to crush ur opp on the turn or river =)
Only go all-in with AK against a LAG person too lol. manytimes u push with AK to find ur f'd by JJ or QQ.

A

akaCLINT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK - Anna Kournikova..., always looks good, never wins...
i dont even raise with AK anymore, see the flop, call a raise if must be, and take it from there...
GL

Janon

Janon

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a monster drawing hand but its still a draw hand so if you missed the flop but you were the raiser i would make an continuation bet no matter the flop. if everyone fold cool if somone call thats a different story but if they reraises you they probably got you beat if you missed the flop so i would just fold. thats how i would play with the hand.

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really is an impossible question. The other factors are so important, like your position, bets before you etc etc. Sorry but you cannot answer a question meaningfully without all the facts.

T

turtlerox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
continuation bet, best choice in my opinion!after that if you have more than one player in that hand you should reconsider your betting style!

M

memok

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost in my tourny last night verse AK. 33 10k final table got all my chips in with ACes and lost to kk3 flop

aLoser4evR

aLoser4evR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all depends on those you're playing. If everyones actually playing cards then raise to make them think, those with nothing will fold, reducing the number your playing on the flop. The flop if all low cards then bet like you have hign pp.
If your playing those who call anything and fish till the end then just check and play tight.

P

Peterr211

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Mr. Muckets and a combination of a couple other things I read. If your AK misses and someone else is betting, go away! You're probably looking for only 6 of 47 cards to make your hand better (for top pair). If nobody else seems interested, a small or continuation bet may take it down, but don't let yourself get crippled by a good hand that didn't hit!