playing against family or friends....

GiantBuddha

GiantBuddha

Poker Warrior - DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no family in poker. I would 5 bet bluff my grand mother.

This is really bad, imo. Her 4-bet range is probably too strong for you to have any significant fold equity. :p

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't see much wrong with it. Nothing like knowing someone, knowing exactly the reaction and what 4 letter words are being spoken, without hearing it. A ton of fun!

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i rather play online, but i did play with my friends, they are really bad and i often take their money, however we play very smalls stakes, so small that the time is not worth, and whoever wins buys the drinks :)

seaeyes

seaeyes

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have a problem with playing with friends or family online or at home. Shoot, they know I play to win. Years ago, I was the only women my hushand's friends would let play with them after bowling. This would piss off the the other wives or girlfriend who thought they knew how to play when they didn't.

Lilli3

Lilli3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the most part...with a couple of exceptions...family and friends poker has a different monetary value for me. If I lose, I've still gotten some entertainment value for my bucks. If I win...then it's a bonus.

LombardiStix

LombardiStix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I HATE playin my fam. They love poker and they are nottttttttt good. So I have to hold back and let them win some. They play a lot of dealers choice. I just like to be able to "hate" my poker competitors and be completely disassociate from their happiness. Unfortunately... I LOVE my family so they make for bad poker mates.

Stix

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are no such things as friends at the poker table!!! This includes family!!!

It's got to be made known before the game starts that this is business, for no one to soft play each other or take something personally or get their feelings hurt or get pissed or whatever.

I think this is key. If it's made known in advance, the above things, then hopefully that will alleviate any problems.

P

PokaKing99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No hard feelings bro!

That's my reply to all the time I won over my brother and his friends online and offline :D

wllmsmthjr

wllmsmthjr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play ever1 the same, unless we are in a live tourney, an we are almost in the money, I will let my friend or family make the money then im out to bust them. but i will not fold made hands to them at any time. but i would fold margenal hands to them around the bubble.

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i play my friends online i play to agressive. I always think i can bluff them out of a pot. But most of them dont know what they are doing so they call call call... and get lucky and catch there cards over and over. So i dont like playing friends. I know more than they do and they win so it makes you look like an idiot who talked about poker and cant even beat them.

twoturntablez

twoturntablez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would be nice if I could play my family and just ask them to lose.

I couldnt dream of anything worse than a family get together online for a game of poker.

My friend on the other hand is possibly the 3rd fiercest competitor in the world behind Lance, and will give no slack to anyone in his quest for the win and I love him for it. At least you know where you are.

R

rcbstuff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It comes down to this, you need to know where to draw the line. If the line can't be drawn as to where it's fun and not personal then don't play. I have played with family and they have won and I have won. Life goes on when you lose.

Misofer

Misofer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesn't matter if I play with family, friends or strangers. I'll always play at the same level, of course there's the ocasional joke now and then.

amagic

amagic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i play my friends that is funny. We play very loose (fish paradise) but this time is entertainment.:D

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is really bad, imo. Her 4-bet range is probably too strong for you to have any significant fold equity. :p

ha ha ha.... awesome response (and very true!)

I actually feel kinda bad taking my friend's money on the poker tables,... but feel even worse when they take mine. Because of this I don't bother to play them.

T

tearedtotears

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play friends live and online and pretty much like it a bit more than playing against strangers, cause you can learn more from each other and have a lot of fun if you're playing together on a regular basis

Q

q9boat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Family

My husband and I used to play live cash all the time.....I almost always win against him.....I even knocked him out of TWO tournaments. One of which I went on to take first place. He has beaten me a couple of times. When he does he just laughs and says "Ha! Poker, the only time you can beat your wife and not get into trouble!" :)

C

cheddachris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy playing with friends online, especially in large tournaments we will kind of make it into a competition on who gets further... possibly some side bets? and plus if one of us makes big money in a game chances are we are going to throw a bone to the other one