Playing Against An Aggressive Player

ericklam92

ericklam92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
MX
Chips
In poker there are different types of players. In my opinion one of the most difficult players to play against is aggressive players. Aggressive players will generally make big bets, raise preflop and will often re-raise your raise.

They can be difficult to play against and some tournaments may feel impossible to win if your playing against an aggressive player. Here is how I like to play when playing against an aggressive player.

Be patient – Often an aggressive will get over confident and make a mistake which will result in them going broke in a ring game or busting a tournament.

Take notes – Whenever the aggressive player has to show their hand at showdown make a note of what they’re playing. Use this knowledge to your advantage when you get a good hand to play. Also note how much they are betting and raising.

Don’t get frustrated – Don’t get frustrated if an aggressive player is beating you every hand. Don’t show your emotion and let the aggressive player know your frustrated. Be calm and wait for a good hand to try and win your chips back. Don’t let your emotions cause you to make bad decisions that will allow the aggressive player to win more chips of yours.

Be aggressive when you have a strong hand – If you are dealt a strong hand preflop let’s say pocket Aces for example don’t be afraid to be aggressive against the aggressive player. Don’t be afraid to put pressure on him and if possible put the aggressive player in a position where the player has to go all in or fold. I find this works a bit better if I’ve mostly been playing tight throughout the game / tournament.

What is your strategy for playing against aggressive players?

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope the aggro player doesn't have position on me. But if he is on my left I try to be patient and wait for the premium hand to trap him. Sometimes it works... but not always.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
As I only play freerolls, we usually face very loose and aggressive players, if the villain hits something, he doesn't give up, he pays until the end, the only solution is to wait for a strong hand, and hope not to get a bed beat, which unfortunately this is what usually happens.

But it's part of poker, and since I didn't invest anything, I'll wait for the next tournament, good luck at the tables.

Grateful Cesar.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing against an aggressive player is the worst thing that can happen to you, since aggressive players like me have several ways to draw their chips and you can use a lot of moves against all the players at the table.

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
For me aggressive players are part of the game .
I think the solution is not to enter into a direct confrontation with them and wait for the right hand and bet everything I have .

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Personally, for me, aggressive players are always the most comfortable opponents. I just use their aggression against them. For me, patient players are the most dangerous.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
against aggressive players I will play more 3-bet hands for value and bluff, and I will always play in position because playing out of position against aggressive players is very difficult.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Fight fire w/fire. Pick a decent spot, say right after the agg-villain lost to a river or something "dramatic" that might tilt them. That's usually the best time. With any luck you'll flop a set or they'll miss their ace and etc.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
an aggressive player is a tasty loot for tight players it's so delicious that you can't even imagine in fact the most dangerous player is a tight aggressive player, these are the players you need to be afraid of everyone else this loot eat them and rejoice

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With no information about the vilain, i usually play the standart aproach, trying to play in position against them. If i have some information, like some range pre flop or meaning of size bets, then I can change my way of playing them according to it