Play perception after a break

Does your perceived performance change after a break?

• Never noticed anything

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I tend to improve

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • I tend to deteriorate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One does not simply take a break!!!

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
pandafreeroll

pandafreeroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi folx!

For a compound of personal reasons, I did not have time for Poker since a few weeks into Putin's war of annihilation against the Ukrainian people. I still don't, but I did come back last weekend for the German freeroll as well as a few SNGs after a little more than a months break.
Strangely, I noticed that it felt like the very first times I was playing Poker, where I seemed to experience a streak of 'beginners luck' - somehow I was able to make big laydowns as well as some insane hero calls and keep being right. Finished 4th in the freeroll and got itm and 1st once in all of the handful of SNGs I played except for one.
Do you have a similar experience? If this isn't just chance, I wonder what exactly taking a break does to improve decision making...

Grrreetinks, dePanda

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After a 1-day break, I feel like I know everything about poker

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I have noticed the same thing on a few occasions. Lately I have been very busy and haven't had much time to play. Yesterday was a rainy day so I had lots of time to play and luck was on my side as well.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don't want to sound rude, but I think this only makes sense if you were about to start tilting before you took the break. I can imagine that after a break, when you've calmed down, you'll play better poker again. Whether you have more luck simply depends on whether you are in a so-called lucky streak or not because luck and bad luck are also things that play a role in the game. If you are unsure about poker, try to read and learn more about it. For whatever reason you decide to take a break, the break will not be the reason why the game improves or, on the contrary, worsens.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi folx!

For a compound of personal reasons, I did not have time for Poker since a few weeks into Putin's war of annihilation against the Ukrainian people. I still don't, but I did come back last weekend for the German freeroll as well as a few SNGs after a little more than a months break.
Strangely, I noticed that it felt like the very first times I was playing Poker, where I seemed to experience a streak of 'beginners luck' - somehow I was able to make big laydowns as well as some insane hero calls and keep being right. Finished 4th in the freeroll and got itm and 1st once in all of the handful of SNGs I played except for one.
Do you have a similar experience? If this isn't just chance, I wonder what exactly taking a break does to improve decision making...

Grrreetinks, dePanda

In regards to taking time away from poker, I typically see an improvement in my game when I return. This has to do with the "starting fresh" mindset, and forgetting about previous results. This is why I like to "prescribe" a short break when the results are poor (i.e. lots of bad beats, etc.).

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Last time i actually took decent "break" it was back in october 2019 when i stayed in sunny Spain for a week. Obviously even then i didn't actually need time off i just couldn't play in most rooms from Espana ...

Therefore i highly doubt that a (forced) break for me would improve something ...

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think after a break I play better, mostly because the reason why I usually take a break is a losing streak. So, I usually use this time to cool down my mind and study more.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Yes, after a break, it can really be difficult to come back and even simple skills require some adaptation, so I would first of all advise starting with small limits. This will reduce the cost of making mistakes, and also save your bankroll. A long break gives you one more An interesting possibility is the choice of a new discipline. Now you will not be tormented by remorse from the fact that you want to run from a cash game to an MTT or vice versa. Your knowledge is outdated, but the foundation is standing. Healthily assess your strengths, resources, capabilities and desires. Remember about bankroll management and make a deposit that will allow you to comfortably beat at the desired limit.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
After a break, I also always have better results. I think it's due to mental rest and alienation from the game and everything connected with it.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A break always has a positive effect on my game and my results. Probably because after the break I become more patient and focused. So, it is useful to take a break. :)

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
A break always has a positive effect on me, as closer to the prizes or the end of registration, each break is a small step towards victory.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, similar cases happened but only in other games. In all likelihood, when you play constantly, you lose a little attention and concentration. And after the break, with new sensations and attention, you perceive the pace of the game better. Everything needs rest.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no need to play poker every day, fatigue or burnout occurs, you need to take a break from poker.
I know one professional player who plays poker 2-3 days a week, and at the same time plays a good plus.