Phil Hellmuth....most hated?

chapeltuno

chapeltuno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love watching Helmuth when he plays, Perfection mostly. I dislike watching him after hands he loses, Disgusting mostly. By the way doesn't he have 10 bracelets all in holdem,NOT 9.

DrumDemon

DrumDemon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, i never realized how much people really dislike Phil. I dont know, but if someone whines and complains like that, it doesnt get under my skin. I think its more comical than anything else. My favorite moment is probably when he lost heads up to Annie Duke. Just pacing around in circles swearing and beating himself up. I think there was another pro, cant remember who, who compared him to a huge 9 year old. He said something to the effect of "If a nine year old throws a tantrum, do you get angry at them? No, because its a 9 year old" Great TV thats for sure and Im still a fan.

XxJackAcexX

XxJackAcexX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i got to admit he is a good player when the cards fall his way!! but if he loses he blames everyone else instead of himself!! and he is a really big brat!! but that his style! and he has the bracelet!! he's proved himself and he's a big name!!! but he does whine a whole lot!! but all and all i like certain things about helmuth!!

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holy blast from the past, batman! This post is old ;)

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's make a distinction between Phil and Mike M and Tony G: the latter are poor WINNERS, while Phil is a poor loser.

To answer the question as to why people like Phil: you feel his pain and can sympathize.

This is not to say his behavior is acceptable, but how many times would you like to rail against the donkey that played a bs hand vs you and got lucky to win.

Phil vents for us all so we can take the high road.

thwizzofoz

thwizzofoz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil has got to be one of the most hated guys in poker
he's so cocky and arrogant and whines like a 12-year old girl

When I think of cocky, I think of a bully. When I think of whiney, I think of Jeff Gordon. The two really don't mix.

I have to wonder about how I look while playing poker even at my computer. I suppose I do my share of whining when I get bopped on the river by a lesser hand.

Phil H. is not one of my favorite players. He plays excellent, but, doesn't have the hook that makes him stand out to me. Unlike Scotty Nguyen who is just too cool or Mike Matusow who I just like to hate.

S

ssakas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind Phil too much. He's annoying at times, but he is a great player, and his act gets him lots of publicity.

I personally can't stand Shahram Sheikhan.

*shrug*

swoop

swoop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's the best explanation of the degree of brattiness (sp?) You're exactly right. Phil is a very gracious winner, whereas Mike M and Tony G belittle their competition whether they are winning or losing. Great insight!

withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The wsop 2006 sums up Phil excatly.

He shows up about an hour late (in a limo), makes his grand entrance then gets taken out with pocket 77,s

The bleeps were so funny as he went into orbit.

:)