Phil Hellmuth Jr announces he's quitting poker?

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know, I haven't been able to verify this story anywhere.

The closest I can find is that he's leaving bodog.

Anyone have verification?

-

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he should just quit cash and stick with tournament. Phil just plain suck in cash games.

T

thejuanupsman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need the money? Want the money? Have the money? That missing word is killing me!

Yeah, that's a pretty important missing word. I'm really hoping it's not have. It would bum me out to hear that Phil was broke.

K

kyndlyon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't buy it. he cares too much about holding and breaking records. his ego wont let him permanently retire.

P

poker d player

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't buy it. he cares too much about holding and breaking records. his ego wont let him permanently retire.
I wouldn't bet on it. What would televised poker be with out Phil. They just need to come up with new ways to put him on tilt, just to make things a bit more entertaining.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker is pain and Excruciating Pain is Poker at it's best.
Phil Hellmuth exemplifies the PAIN of poker.

Lack of legalization in the USA has basically eliminated player sponsorship.
The future of Poker for some appears to be pointless and bleak ....

If True - Good Luck to Phil in Life and may Happiness be from within.

J

jsaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to quit something before you can have a triumphant return - seems like interesting timing for one of the more obvious showmen in poker - just as the poker season goes into the end of the year slump. My guess is he'll be back with a re-engineered image and attitude that will help boost sales of his books, increase his sponsorships etc. Remember this is one of the two players that quickly and efficiently slipped away from AP/UB before DOJ swooped down and killed the site. If he actually walks away for awhile then makes a comeback with a new image, the poker pundits will be singing his praises.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm giving absolutely no credence to this story, but to address a couple of the more "interesting" points that have come up...

Lack of legalization in the USA has basically eliminated player sponsorship.
The future of Poker for some appears to be pointless and bleak ....

While this is certainly true for a number of players, Hellmuth is one of the few that has the potential to gain sponsorships outside of the poker world - not to mention the lucrative ones he would have access to within the B&M poker world. He was on 12 million beer cans, after all...

You have to quit something before you can have a triumphant return - seems like interesting timing for one of the more obvious showmen in poker - just as the poker season goes into the end of the year slump. My guess is he'll be back with a re-engineered image and attitude that will help boost sales of his books, increase his sponsorships etc. Remember this is one of the two players that quickly and efficiently slipped away from Absolute Poker/UB before DOJ swooped down and killed the site. If he actually walks away for awhile then makes a comeback with a new image, the poker pundits will be singing his praises.

I don't see there being any chance of him changing his image, and if that was even his goal, I don't think anyone's going to buy the retirement/comeback angle on it. He'd do better to keep playing and just start being a bit classier in front of the camera if that were the case.

J

jsaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could be right Oz, I was simply speculating on what he may be doing "if" the story is correct. As for my reference to sponsorships, I wasn't referring to the free tourney buy-ins he already gets but something much bigger. He did try to modify his image this year, with some success but if I was marketing Phil, I would take him off the shelf for a few months, retool his approach and then initiate a re-launch - much more money in that.

pokerchris

pokerchris

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil is a very good ABC poker player but no one plays ABC poker any more.

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The day Phill gives up poker, I'll stand on my eye lashes !!! end of.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Phil is not that good.

Questions?
I don't think Phil is that good & didn't say that in my post. I do think he made ALOT of adjustments in his play (tournament play) this past year.

I'm not a big fan or anything either. I actually HATE his commentary (of tourney play) as he's typically wayyyy off in his reads imo (reads of what others are doing & why). Listening to his commentary of wsop play actually tilts the fk out of me. In comparison to Antonio E. (or better yet, Olivier Busquet) he sounds like a fish.
I'm not a fan of his style either (ie. late in WSOP the way he plays 33 was just awful imo)... but it works for Phil.

Labelling him a total donk just isn't true... suggesting he's the guy who's been aggressively taking it to others for years also is far from true.

TheCol

TheCol

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really dont think Phil is going to quit poker. Whats he going to do? He is a croud monger. He loves the big lights and all the glam.
I guess he could retire, he has the money to retire. But thats all he has done for the past 2 decades is play poker.
Now I know he has done some great charity work. Maybe if he went in that direction, it would be good.
But if he plays another big tournament like a WPT or aWSOP event and wins, he wont be going anywhere.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...but if I was marketing Phil, I would take him off the shelf for a few months, retool his approach and then initiate a re-launch - much more money in that.

N'yeah, that was my point: doing that simply wouldn't work. He couldn't fake-retire for a few months, come back and expect everyone to forget the 20-odd years of poker bratting. People's memories are short, but they're not that short and they're not that stupid either.

Also, I don't see why he'd even want to change his image. What would he change it to? Phil Hellmuth, nice, quiet and respectful poker player? He'd just be Allen Cunningham with a few more bracelets, and that's hardly interesting...

P

peedee91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if this is true this the end of an era in poker...phil hellmuth is one pokers alltime greats.....i would love to suck out on him so i can personally recieve one of his rants haha

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My bet is that he'll come back to it. A break, though, might be a good idea. If it were me, I would be hard pressed to risk losing that kind of cash even if I had it!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Anyone else receive the recent pokerstars survey? (series of questions re: poker pros & which one you'd like to see added to PokerStars... Phil Helmuth was included in some of the questions.... I voted for 'Phil Galfond')

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he'll be back, but he def. has a legitimate problem ... he is not a cash game player ... he's a big time MTT tourney player and he is not getting any younger ... those tournaments require you to stay sharp for hours and hours and he just might not have it in him

and let's face it ... even though it is played up a bit ... he does tilt

ha, maybe they need a seniors tour in Poker ... not that he is that old, but you know ... the younger players do have an edge

KingwithAxe1

KingwithAxe1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He is one of the best players out there. But I cant believe the story. He likes the limelight too much in tourny action, so I think he will be back at the tables.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Love all the comments. Phil will be back, his wife likes the money.

P

poker d player

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
News Flash ..... He's Back .... It was just over heard from reliable sources on the internet ..... Phil is back !!!!! After his long retirement, and much needed rest, and careful reconsideratoin, as well as many busted chairs, tables and misc. items ... Phil made the difficult decision to return to the world of poker. IT MUST BE TRUE ... IT WAS ON THE INTERNET. Players shutter with fear (along with much furniture and decorations adorning poker rooms around the world.) :eek: