Personality vs Table Style

T

theshark22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am going to make a writeup about this topic as I have made some writeups on poker before in my colorful career. Before I do I want to get your thoughts. This is not talked about too often, or so I see. How does your personality in everyday life affect the style of poker you play? I am an extremely talkative joking around guy who never made it through eleventh grade math, I am hardly ever 100% focused in on one thing and my head is always bouncing all over the place. I love to get action going and I am a big gambler, is it possible to be the model tight aggressive player? Or does my everyday personality take over causing me to make risky calls and maybe push all in when other people would never think of doing so? Can you really change who you are to be someone else when your at the poker table?

What are your thoughts on this one?

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you can be gregarious at the table while playing a solid game. In fact, if your personality is different than your playing style it might throw some of your less observant opponents off, thinking you're playing more loosely/crazier than you really are.

I think the converse is also true -- quieter folks may be able to get away with more aggressive play and making moves because it's not as expected of them.