Perhaps I need a break

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, I cant believe Im saying this after my hot run, but I really think I do need a break. I feel like I am thinking about poker constantly and I just cant seem to stop myself from playing, even if I am tired or if I know I shouldnt be playing. I have been playing upwards of 3-4 hours a day for the past month or so and it seems to be increasing every day. I even started playing at work the last week. I really dont want to find myself addicted to gambling, as I saw it ruin someones life who was close to me. Im thinking about pulling my entire BR out so I dont have the means to play anymore and taking atleast a month or so off. I hit a cold streak today and lost around 100 dollars, and even though I can tell I am slightly tilting right now, I still want to play very badly. Im doing everything I can just to stop myself from opening up bodog.

Any thoughts?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a week off, read some books, stay away from the tables. Its a routine that ill do every few months. You usually find a new perspective to the game every few months, maybe this will help. You dont need to be playing for further your game.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, I cant believe Im saying this after my hot run, but I really think I do need a break. I feel like I am thinking about poker constantly and I just cant seem to stop myself from playing, even if I am tired or if I know I shouldnt be playing. I have been playing upwards of 3-4 hours a day for the past month or so and it seems to be increasing every day. I even started playing at work the last week. I really dont want to find myself addicted to gambling, as I saw it ruin someones life who was close to me. Im thinking about pulling my entire BR out so I dont have the means to play anymore and taking atleast a month or so off. I hit a cold streak today and lost around 100 dollars, and even though I can tell I am slightly tilting right now, I still want to play very badly. Im doing everything I can just to stop myself from opening up Bodog.

Any thoughts?
I average 6 hours a day, 7 days a week. What's the big deal? Don't tilt, but keep learning.

T

TurnipHead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, I can identify 100%. I've played approximately 3-5 hours a day on average for nearly a year. I fully and freely admit to being addicted to online poker (not gambling).

People always say take a break when the cards are not kind and when you start playing badly. But I can never have more than 24 hours away from the game - those little icons on my desktop are forever calling me back. I play low-limits and I've made a miniscule profit but just love to play!

The thing is, if you are a winning player - is this really a "problem"?

Last edited:
B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, after taking a couple days to think about it, I decided I am going to take a good portion of my bankroll out (There are a couple purchases I want to make). I left myself with 150 dollars and I cant decide if I want to follow careful BR management and stick with 5.50 and 6.50 SnG until I build back up to a decent amount or jump back in single tabling 25max and hope i dont go broke. Ive never had more than a 3x buy-in downswing at any level playing ring games, but I know it is very possible to have as much as a 10x buy-in swing. I will also be setting a timer and not allowing myself to play more than 2 hours a day. Thx for the advice guys

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just saw this thread, and I'm glad to see you take steps to manage your playing.

I think poker is fun, and a great hobby, especially when you can get money from it rather than having to pay $ to do it, but, there's a heck of a lot more to life than just poker. I don't know what you do for work, but in most cases if you find yourself playing at work, you'd be risking your job unless it's just during breaks. I'll check in at CC from work, but I won't play.

Basically I'm saying, keep your life in balance, and if it requires little structure, like lowering your bankroll, or setting time limits for playing, I think you're on the right track. Good luck!