Origins of Poker (try answering without using Google first)

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
What do you know off the cuff about the origins, age, history etc. of our beloved game, or what do think they are? Let's try to gather as many theories and hypotheses as possible, I'm sure that'll be interesting.
I myself however can't reply to this question anymore, because I read the Poker wiki article beforehand. :)

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that poker appeared when there was a need to control people by luring them into gambling.

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think that poker appeared when there was a need to control people by luring them into gambling.
But wasn't betting on stuff always a human thing to do? I wonder when the first bet occurred, and what was its wager ...

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I remember hearing it came from China, but that may have just been playing cards.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember reading a long time ago that it came from france as a betting game with cards. As I remember the order of hands was different then than now, but it was similar in many ways to draw poker. I imagine something similar existed earlier somewhere else, but haven't had a chance to trace back theories to see what shakes. I think in the USA, it showed up in New Orleans first.

B

bethqueen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that poker emerged as a kind of attraction for other people to make money circulate around the city, as it was something very clandestine at the time, so people would meet to exchange accessories through cards. I think I traveled a lot, I don't know hahahah

N

Niykk

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As far as I know folks fist started playing poker long time ago, somewhere in the wild-wild west. The game has evolved over the years into what we know today as modern poker variations.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I remember hearing about sailors playing poker. I'm not sure they invented the game, maybe they just adapted it to what it is today. That is all I can vaguely remember without any research.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As far as I remember, something similar to poker originated in China and then the sailors spread it all over the world.