Online tells. What do you look for?

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I've asked many questions so far regarding online play only and i cant believe I've never asked this question. When playing online (micro limit NLHE) what tells do you look for. The only one i've really heard of is the following.

When playing online if someone hits the auto check/call button they are generally chasing some type of draw.

Just curious, for those of you that are experienced, what tells do you look for online to see if a person is weak or strong or if they are chasing or holding the nuts.

Cheers

ABorges

ABorges

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone calls a bet very quick it can mean one of two things: they either have a draw and can't wait to call or they have something like mid or bottom pair and are calling very quickly to tell you they'll call the next street if you bet.

And someone who takes a lot of time to call your bet can mean something huge, like a set.

I don't pay much attention to tells though, betting patterns are the most important thing you have to recognize.

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a few simple all around tells that I've noticed
#1 - 5x BB usually means AK, sometimes AQ, rarely QQ-AA - more likely JJ or TT.
#2 - Min-raise in cash games = the nuts or close to nuts
#3 - Small re-raise = AK, JJ or QQ. Bigger re-raise is usually AA or KK sometimes AK.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
#3 - Small re-raise = AK, JJ or QQ. Bigger re-raise is usually AA or KK sometimes AK.

#1 - disagree.
#2 - min raise is usually a sign of a strong holding - villain dependent.
#3 - disagree.

These statements are too general tbh Flint, The only one I sort of agree with is #2.

G

GoodWoodRR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re-Raise to your set or two pair with two suited cards on the board usually means the guy has flush draw.

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
#1 - disagree.
#2 - min raise is usually a sign of a strong holding - villain dependent.
#3 - disagree.

These statements are too general tbh Flint, The only one I sort of agree with is #2.

You are right - they are too general, but these are the things I have noticed on partypoker at NL5, NL10 and small buy in tournies and will not be the same on all sites/stakes.

#2 is the truth at nl5 at Partypoker.

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I look at bets people make, and if the hand goes to showdown, I'll take note of what they are holding. Different bets can mean different things, it's player dependent. You just have to know who you are up against and watch their style of play to be able to make the proper reads. Timing is also a key factor for me as to the read I make

G

gtycoon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to give you general tells to look for because each will be dependant on the player you're up against. I like to look for betting patterns and I like to keep track of the hands when they show them and if they raised with them -how much was the raise?

fcumred

fcumred

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Can I just point out that in freerolls this doesnt quite follow.

With 44 you can expect the raise to be about 2000 times the BB
With 7-4 off suit you are very likely to see an all in.

Your theory is wonderful if everyone plays to the same basic theory. Sadly on freerolls they dont and the size of their raises, bets and calls are about as much use as a pork pie in a synagogue...

;)

IamBP

IamBP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually look at their betting patterns. I also usually have a good gut feeling on what I think the person haves.

One tell I have is if the person checks and calls your bets to the river and then hits an instant all-in with no thought, they almost always hit their draw. However, this is just my experience and will vary from player to player.

Panamajoe

Panamajoe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ABorges said
"And someone who takes a lot of time to call your bet can mean something huge, like a set."

Alternatively it could mean they have a crappy connection, like me. I lag so much sometime that I get 3-5 seconds to decide what to do :(

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the best tells is the notes that you've made when you played against that player previously.

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the reason that most bad players on a certain site will have similar patterns, bet sizes and what not, is because of herd behavior. In other words they don't have their own game, but reflect the game seen. Atleast on Partypoker I find that a lot of fish have the same tells, I guess other sites have different tells...?

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online tells are completely overrated. When was the last time you were able to pinpoint someone on a hand based on one of these "online tells".

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online tells are completely overrated. When was the last time you were able to pinpoint someone on a hand based on one of these "online tells".

About 5min ago, had notes on a player saying he min raised/bet every thing exept AA/KK/QQ/AK he raised 5BB every one folded he showed AA

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is not what I meant by a tell. That is more of a betting pattern. When I say tells, I mean quickness (or slowness) of calls/bets/folds, among other things.
Obviously you didn't follow this link (don't worry, it's not a virus or anything, it's a youtube link). It does a really good job of explaining online tells and how if you're ignoring them you're missing out on profit:
Yes I did, and it was somewhat humorous. I have seen that Bill guy before on YouTube, and he just begins to get annoying.

Poker Tells