online slowrolling

fasteddee74

fasteddee74

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just reading a few of these posts makes me think some do not know what slow rolling is? I have a few players tagged in my HUD that have slow rolled me with AA. I see it as the WORSE thing a player can do. It is wrong and horrible etiquette.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just reading a few of these posts makes me think some do not know what slow rolling is? I have a few players tagged in my HUD that have slow rolled me with AA.
Did you read the last few posts? If you're saying you've been slowrolled preflop with AA, then it makes me wonder if you know what slowrolling is?

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Slowrolling means you have the absolute nuts -- YOU CANNOT LOSE NO MATTER WHAT -- and are closing the action, i.e other player(s) all in, you're last to act, no other action can be taken after yours, and you take your time with calling. Or worse, you hollywood while stalling. Slowrolling should NEVER be done, unless maybe it's in jest between friends or something. It's really one of the worst breaches of etiquette in poker. Even when it's done to you, be the bigger person and don't do it in retaliation. There is really never a justification to slowroll anyone. Yes poker can be a cutthroat game, but there is still some lines that should never be crossed.

It does seem like a lot of people are confusing stalling and slow playing their hand with actual slowrolling. As dmorris said, when you know you have the nutz and are the last to act after your opponent has bet on the river and you take your sweet time before calling, to let you opponent sweat it out or think that you might fold, before you call and show the best hand, it is considered a slowroll.

An example of this would be when you have a something like a set of Jacks on a board with no overcards, no straight or flush draws, and no pairs. You know the best hand your opponent could possibly have is a smaller set. You have position on him, so he is first to act, and goes all-in. You knew you had the best hand the second the river card was turned over. There is no way that you are folding. But you don't call immediately. You let him sweat it out while your play clock and a portion of your time bank tick away before putting them out of their misery.

Whlile I agree, and definitely consider this to be a slowroll, I think the more traditional use of the term slowroll refers to someone hesitating before turning the best hand over at showdown. Using the same at example with the set of Jacks that you know is best, your opponent bets. You call. They show their hand, but you don't immediately show yours.

While a long pause before turning your hand over would, of course, be considered a slowroll, it's not so much the length of the pause that makes it a slowroll so much as the intent. You might only pause ever so briefly, but during that pause, do something like let out an audible groan of dissapointment, slump your shoulders or hang your head as if in defeat before turning your hand over. I've seen players go so far as to fake like they are about to throw their cards to the dealer, only to pull them back and turn them over. The intention would be to deceive your opponent into thinking that they had won the pot before revealing the winning hand. It's pretty much the poker equivalent of saying, "You win... SIKE!", which is a pretty dickish move.

Of course, because the computer turns each player's cards over automatically once the action is complete, a lot of players feel like it is not possible to slowroll someone on-line. But we have already stated that hesitating to act with the best hand when the final action is on you can be considered a slowroll as well. Again, it's the intention behind it that makes it such a bad breach of etiquette, whether is to deceive your opponent or to make them sweat.

Last edited:
naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had someone slow-roll online acouple weeks ago when they had Quads and I bluff shoved A.I vs them and they tanked hard and called with the last 5 seconds left.

Before you all even ask they weren't disconnected, they were just being asses is all

S

sleepymike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whlile I agree, and definitely consider this to be a slowroll, I think the more traditional use of the term slowroll refers to someone hesitating before turning the best hand over at showdown. Using the same at example with the set of Jacks that you know is best, your opponent bets. You call. They show their hand, but you don't immediately show yours.
This is how I have always thought of "slow rolling". While many find this annoying as it plays on their emotions, I find it annoying cause they are slowing the game down just to spite someone. If this happens to me I just say nice hand and ignore any comments they make after or simply say "ok".

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres a diff in using timebank to reach another steo in the money, as other tables still roll ,or using it to make a moron out of urself if u have Quads or boat and still pretend to have nothing .
I like the first method and use it myself
Second one is just a joke
gl on the felts

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do it at the end of tournements near the money bubble if I have a short stack
And if it's playing hand for hand you're not helping yourself out, running down the clock only makes you see less hands, well the blinds keep going up.
That's not slowrolling, see post below!!!

Yeah, don't think some people ITT know what slowrolling really means. People are really talking about 3 different things it seems: slowrolling, slowplaying, and using up the clock.

Slowrolling means you have the absolute nuts -- YOU CANNOT LOSE NO MATTER WHAT -- and are closing the action, i.e other player(s) all in, you're last to act, no other action can be taken after yours, and you take your time with calling. Or worse, you hollywood while stalling. Slowrolling should NEVER be done, unless maybe it's in jest between friends or something. It's really one of the worst breaches of etiquette in poker. Even when it's done to you, be the bigger person and don't do it in retaliation. There is really never a justification to slowroll anyone. Yes poker can be a cutthroat game, but there is still some lines that should never be crossed.

However some people think slowrolling is taking your time with a big hand that you'd almost never fold, but it's not the absolute nuts. This is NOT slowrolling in many peoples' view (and mine). This could be taking your time to ensure yourself that your hand is as strong as you think it is, or to take a moment to try and really narrow opponents range to be sure he can't nut you, or that you've actually read the board correctly (I've second-guessed myself here a few times myself), etc. Some think if you don't snap call a preflop shove with AA, it's slowrolling. It's not. You'll still lose ~20% of the time. And there can be some rare tournament situations where even folding AA preflop can be justified, so someone might take a moment to consider that before finally calling. Of course context is everything, so if someone is being an obvious jerk while doing this to tilt his opponent on purpose, then I think it probably crosses into the realm of slowrolling.

OTOH slowplaying is where you take a passive approach with a strong hand, like limping or calling, trying to keep players in the hand or to induce action from more aggressive players. This is a perfectly legit and accepted strategy, albeit often overdone especially by bad or beginner players.

Using up the clock to an excessive amount may be bad manners, but is not egregious like slowrolling. In small doses it might be used to create false timing tells against certain opponents, like a form of hollywooding to act like you're unsure of your hand, again to induce certain action.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
slowroll with AA

slowroll with AA happened in the wsop 2010 when a st*** guy holding AA wasted a timeout after a player before him went allin, so he spent like 3 min to decide if pay or fold, really annoying, hope this guy be banned for life

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
slowroll with AA happened in the wsop 2010 when a st*** guy holding AA wasted a timeout after a player before him went allin, so he spent like 3 min to decide if pay or fold, really annoying, hope this guy be banned for life
Again, this isn't a slowroll.

In fact, depending on who it was and at what stage of the tourney, it's understandable in that situation. An amateur in the ME, who might have just put down $10,000 to play the biggest tourney of his life, might very well take his time to decide if he wants to play for his "tournament life" early on when stacks are so deep, even if he is an 80+% favorite. While mathematically it may be silly to most of us, it's entirely understandable for an amateur player to seriously consider folding there under those conditions.

Awhile ago there was a survey sent out by one of the poker media sites where several pros were asked "If you were dealt AA the first hand of the ME, would you get it AIPF?" These were pros mind you. I don't recall that any said no, but I do recall some saying it would not be a snap decision or one they would be happy about making.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Again, this isn't a slowroll.

In fact, depending on who it was and at what stage of the tourney, it's understandable in that situation. An amateur in the ME, who might have just put down $10,000 to play the biggest tourney of his life, might very well take his time to decide if he wants to play for his "tournament life" early on when stacks are so deep, even if he is an 80+% favorite. While mathematically it may be silly to most of us, it's entirely understandable for an amateur player to seriously consider folding there under those conditions.
In a WPT a few years back, there was an amateur who said he folded AA twice pre-flop near the money bubble instead of risking his tournament life, and only played it when it was dealt to him a third time.

Was folding the first two times good poker? No, of course not. Can I blame him for playing super nitty in order to cash (almost certainly for a very large amount of money relative to his BR) in a situation he might never be in again? Also no.

For those who still don't seem to get it, slowrolling is when you know you will win the pot and don't show your cards as soon as it's your turn to do so.

If you have the absolute nuts, it doesn't matter what position you're in. If you're last to show, it's a slowroll if you don't show your winning hand immediately when it's your turn to show whether its the absolute nuts, just high card or anything in between.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're last to show, it's a slowroll if you don't show your winning hand immediately when it's your turn to show whether its the absolute nuts, just high card or anything in between.
Glad you point this out, because we often forget to articulate that this is also a slowroll, even without a great hand, much less the nuts.

So the key is "to know you're the winner" and then delay when you're last to act. If you have the absolute nuts you know you're the winner right away. But you can have much less than the nuts and still be ahead, if it goes to showdown and opponent rolls over 55 and you then hollywood awhile before showing your 77, that's also a slowroll even though it's a mediocre hand.

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some players are mistakenly seeing a slow rolls where there isn't one. Some players play more than one table at a time, this could be mistaken for a slow roll. If you have good poker discipline, it should matter whether or not they slow rolled you anyway. Part of good poker discipline is having control of your emotions! It's not personal and it's just business.

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it with Quads...lol...i know I'm ashamed

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
slowrolling in online poker can never be confirmed because if a player is multi tabling he is going to take a lot of time to act, and even if he wasnt multi tabling lots of issues could be happening to him. from internet issues to picking up the phone, or maybe just being distracting at the internet.
live poker is a very different story....

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Me personally I never do this. yea its bad behavior and also I am just wasting my time with that... I dont need it to "feel better" or how big boss I am lol...

S

sleepymike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slightly off topic. Regardless if any of the above situations are bad etiquette or not, if these actions effect the way you play, then his/her tactic was successful.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a slow roll note for people that have done something rude or annoying or have been berating fish

ruben35

ruben35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never slowroll, thats not part of my game, i rather put people on tilt by out playing them, not hitting the timebank with AA , imo

Q

Quasimodo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are often players that are simply not taking a pee and let the clock fold their hand as they do this every hand. Its as rude as the person who drives slower than all others in the left driving lane. I really hate this sort. Their inconsideration make poker as fun as going to the DMV. I love 'sandbagging' with the absolute nuts. Like having pkt. 3's and flopping quads. Of course I'm gonna check or call praying some one hits a very good hand. Its a fantasy to do that to Tom Dwan.

J

Jay65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it sometimes before folding, actually

When someone around the table has been shoving a lot preflop with rags (low limit tournaments mostly), sometimes I use the time bank before folding anyway. It lets the player know that you're thinking of ways to take him down and sometimes it will slow him down for a few hands so you can make moves and steal some blinds without assuming that he is going to call regardless of what he has.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slowrolling usually not be any good. The tournament then you often knock out opponent out of the game and not be able to take advantage of its tilt. But in the cache fish (in the hand) you will not play, it is important for the atmosphere at the poker table.
Or as an option, it will start to think about when it plays against you.
And this is the main reason why it is not necessary slowrolling

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do it sometimes before folding, actually

When someone around the table has been shoving a lot preflop with rags (low limit tournaments mostly), sometimes I use the time bank before folding anyway. It lets the player know that you're thinking of ways to take him down and sometimes it will slow him down for a few hands so you can make moves and steal some blinds without assuming that he is going to call regardless of what he has.

Again, this is NOT slowrolling.

T

Think

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's funny as hell .. Laugh at yourself and move on .. Not the first time nor the last time you will be slowrolled

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Happened to me in a cc fr game, shoved queens pre and the guy tanked until the last few seconds and called with aces....but I've just learned from here that it wasn't actually a slowroll.....still not nice though.

chipstacker

chipstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see it happen alot. Most good players do it just to let the other player know they are thinking about it and that they prob have a good hand. Other players do it because they are waiting for the random generator to spin a couple of times like a slot machine. Either approach you take the more you think something through the better choice you can make so it really isn't a bad play