Online Poker Study - All players are welcome

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Done. Will you share your findings with this forum Melinda?

swrittenb

swrittenb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice survey! U of O is just up the road, I'm a grad student at Queen's. We're just a bunch of degenerate gamblers, so we're looking forward to your results. :)

U

UOPokerStudy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice survey! U of O is just up the road, I'm a grad student at Queen's. We're just a bunch of degenerate gamblers, so we're looking forward to your results. :)

Sweet, I love Kingston! hahah I'm a degenerate myself lol so I'm looking forward to the results as well apart from it being part of my dissertation

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice study, genuinely interested in outcomes.

moeraj

moeraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not posting here just to be negative but here is my take on this.If I understand the purpose of the study it is a correlation between a person's personality and outlook on life in general and their decision making process while playing poker. Yes I understand what hypothetical means but if you use a hypothetical situation that is so fictional that it cannot possibly happen then your results will be misleading. I play every day and there are so many more realistic scenarios that I have to deal with every day I play that it would have been just as easy to come up with more realistic scenarios. For example I have suited slick and got called by 2 players pre-flop and I have a flush draw and 2 overcards and it is checked to me. What do I do?Well I semi-bluff at pot with a raise of at least pot size. I was only inferring that I cannot put myself in these situations so i don't know how to answer. I"m sure the student's work will be judged on other merits as well.Good luck with the project.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the interests of not biasing anyone who may take the survey, I suggest that we stop discussing the validity of any of the scenarios in the survey. I believe I understand why the scenarios are constructed in the ways they are, and that they are valid in context - I also think the study as described has genuine value regardless of whether you would find yourself specifically in some of the situations described.

Let's give Melinda the benefit of allowing people to take the survey without being unduly biased.

B

brewcrewearl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I took the survey. I agree that a lot of people would not be in the positions he listed in the survey. But thats not what the survey is asking, is putting you in a gien situation and then asking you which choice would best suit your playing style.