OMAHA?!?

P

pain_pain_go_away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally love Omaha, especially PLO H/L... There is whole new world of possibilities, and therefore so many more factors & strategies to get your head around.

I find a lot of players over value pocket As or Ks etc. (probably as hangover from NLHE). Whereas big double suited connectors (And A2 or A3 etc.for H/L) are far more valuable in this beautiful more complex variant of poker.

Whilst Omaha (especially H/L) are by far and away my favorite game to play, I find they have far higher variance than NLHE... When it's good it's very good, but when it's bad... It will break your heart!

Congrats & Good Luck in your new venture into this wonderful game, may the cards be good to you! ;)

Steve2777

Steve2777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congratulations for winning. I tried Omaha but it's too hard.

blitzenfish

blitzenfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice finish, grats.

My key to a good preflop hand, one that has many potential winning combinations, is to get in cheap preflop, preferably a small limp raise call or calling a BB limp. When you see players raising 3x+ and 3 or more betting preflop they are playing hold-em, not Omaha. That is exploitable. If you have a good grasp on Omaha with a multi-faceted hand, call these players, they don't have nada yet. AA KK is strong in hold-em but just any 2 cards in Omaha, especially H/L.

I want to see the flop, that is where your decisions are made. Flopped Boat or nut flush are strong. Watch the betting and raise these hands. If you have a boat beware of quads. There are many who chase to the river trying to make a hand and sometimes they will score due to the high variance, that's Omaha.... but imo real winning Omaha is your post flop decision. Bet or fold.... calling and chasing can get expensive.

Last edited:
Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think omaha poker has much more luck involved especially for online play. It's fun though something to get away from the normal game and just let lose

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha is very cute as well as the hi / lo. I like to play but do not think it lucky win. has much variance on omaha. but you know what cards to go and what not, change much in every street you play. to the river do not know sometimes if you win.

P

pain_pain_go_away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to see the flop, that is where your decisions are made.
.... Bet or fold.... calling and chasing can get expensive.

+1... I think blitzenfish has hit the nail on the head here, Omaha is a game that is won & lost on your post flop play... If you can own the flop, you can own the game!
It's not a game for the faint of heart, but once you get a taste for it, you'll never look back (well, I couldn't anyway, for better or worse!).