"The Nuts" ..... what exactly does it mean?

R

royalflush525

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok i think that it means you can not be beat you have to know that when you see the flop, But ok you have a nut fl AK sp 347 sp comes up on the flop guess what the guy on the right of you has 56 sp well he has the nut st fl so you really just look at your cards if you can not be beat you have the nuts.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In order to understand the nuts, you have to understand poker in a different way.

The nuts ( at this moment) might get beat on subsequent streets, IF YOU LET IT!!!!!!

If at any point you have the nuts at that instant, and you let your opponent see a cheap or free card, (slow play) then YOU are nuts, and he's got you, so he has the nuts!!!!!!!

Examples:

Preflop, you have AA and decide to slow play. YOU ARE NUTS, and DESERVE TO GET BEAT BY 63o DRAWING HIS STRAIGHT!

Flop, You flop the Nut flush, and decide to slowplay against somebody who hit his set, YOU ARE NUTS AND DESERVE TO HAVE THE BOARD PAIR BEFORE YOUR PECAN EYES!!!!!

Turn, You hit your straight, on a 2 suit board, or paired board, and decide to slowplay. YOU ARE NUTS AND DESERVE TO SEE THE BOARD PAIR, OR FLUSH AND SCREW YOU UP TILL YOU CONSIDER HARI-KARI!

River. You hit quad A's and have slowplayed your set to an AdKsQsXcAs suited Board. YOU DESERVE TO SEE THE ROYAL FILL!!! YOU STUPID MORON!

YOU ARE NUTS!!!!!!

IMHO........

Otherwise the concept of the nuts can NOT occur until the river!

Last edited:
J

jyow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
cowboys definition is the right one. but you could potnentially flop the (absolute) nuts. like if you have AA and AAK off comes on the flop, no subsequent cards are going to be part of a better hand. same goes with flopping a royal

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to echo.

Nuts = best hand possible at the time

Absolute nuts = unbeatable hand whatever cards may come on turn or river
^^^^this^^^^.

I also define nuts as those that dangle within a sack between your legs:p

L

leavem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say "The Nuts" is the absolute best hand possible after all the cards have hit the board. You may think you have the nuts after the flop but after the river you will know.

B

brandonnj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The nuts is definitely the best hand at the time, when you have the nuts, it doesnt necessarily mean youre unbeatable. Its like, the nuts can be lost Lol.

G

glworden

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a crazy thread. As someone said, how can you have an opinion about a definition? A definition is, by definition, a definition.

Cowboy is right. Just read what he says and stop arguing.

leavem is wrong, brandonnj is right.

Just think about it. You can flop the nut flush and still lose to a fullhouse by the river. The nuts is simply the best possible hand at the time.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I nominate this thread for the golden archives because the golden archives are where we put the best threads or imo the best threads at the time because there could be better threads later but it's possible this could be the absolute best thread too.

J

jaymorin123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i believe that the nuts means the best hand at that time, like preflopp ace ace is the nuts, king king is the semi nuts. I also think that the nuts could get outdrawn on the flop,turn, or river....

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i believe that the nuts means the best hand at that time, like preflopp ace ace is the nuts, king king is the semi nuts. I also think that the nuts could get outdrawn on the flop,turn, or river....

semi nuts? the nuts are the nuts..nothing else....

Please, everyone "the nuts" is a term used to define the best possible hand at any given time in a hand. There fore AA would be the Pre-flop nuts, and that could change on the flop if something then a pair of Aces hits..aka straights,sets,2 pair, full house, or flushes.
If a hand improves on the turn lets say an Ace high flush hits against your 2 pair then they have the nuts. Now lets say on the river you hit a full boat with your 2 pair...then you would have the nuts since 4 of a kind is impossible to have due to you having one of the paired cards.

Hand seen here:

You: Ks Qc
Villian: Ah 5h

Flop: Kh Qh 2s(The nuts here would be KK)

Turn: 3h(Villian now has the nuts)

River: Qs(The nuts here would be Quad Q's, but that's imposible in this situation)

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I nominate this thread for the golden archives because the golden archives are where we put the best threads or imo the best threads at the time because there could be better threads later but it's possible this could be the absolute best thread too.

I second the nomination.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol JD how do you think to say something so witty lol

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"imo a monkey is a 6-legged insect that builds webs".

Spider monkey, IMO :p

RichKO, if that were the definition that Negreanu really meant for "The Nuts", he wouldn't have spent hours and hours bitching about flopping the nuts and still losing on High Stakes Poker.

(edit - oops, forgot this)

[X] Thread delivers

mogadown

mogadown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Whenever you look at the board, there will ALWAYS be "The Absolute 2 Best Cards" that someone can hold for the Absolute Best hand FOR THE BOARD. Now that doesnt mean that "the nuts" cant change. Someone defined earlier that AK would be the Nuts if A A K came out... Sorry... AA would be "The Nuts". (Now if you DO have AK, you can still consider yourself as having the nuts because there are only 4 aces and someone else COULDNT have AA because that would mean 5 aces. But AA would still be the better hand) In one of my poker books, it has exercises that shows you Several flops, and you have to decide What is the Best 3 hands possible. For A A K, The Best Hand would be AA. (Quad Aces) The 2nd best hand would be A K (Aces Full) and the 3rd best hand would be KK (Kings Full).

Here is an example straight out of the book.
Flop: :ad4: :5s4: :3c4:
anyone holding a 2 4 in their hand has the absolute best hand at this point. "The Nuts". But that doesnt mean it wont change. AA would be the 2nd best hand and 55 would be the 3rd best hand.

Turn: :ad4: :5s4: :3c4: :3d4:
2 4 is no longer "The Nuts" 33 would be "The Nuts" (Quads). AA would still be 2nd best (Aces Full). 55 would be 3rd best (5's full). A3 would be 4th best, 53 would be 5th best and 24 now just dropped to 6th.

River: :ad4: :5s4: :3c4: :3d4: :4d4:
Who has the nuts now? I do with :2d4: :5d4: . The only reason why I do is because you felt confident enough with your "Nuts" on the turn (33) and allowed me to out draw you. When playing, you need to determine how many hands out there that CAN beat you with the cards showing and what CAN beat you if other cards come out and bet accordingly.

I just showed you "The Nuts", and "The Nuts" Can and do change on every street of play. Although Holding The :kd4: with another diamond... Well, its a good hand... it may be "A Nut Flush"... but not "The Nuts"

My Opinion

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HMM, The OP was what does the Nuts mean, now what do YOU think it means. This thread makes me LOL, 41 posts and it should have been done after 3 at most, 5 posts if you include the spam,"yeah I want to know too" posts.

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Is that the definition of the golden archives in your opinion ?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've always been fond of Planters......

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One quesiton: Why do they call an ace high flush the nut flush? Isn't a straight flush the nut flush?

Of course nut flush doesn't mean you have the nuts, just the best flush.

V

vosachlo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"nutz" means best hand possible u can make, u 4 of a kind is the only nutz u can flop or high ....

u may have the best hand on flop or 4th but thats nut draw

then people refer to nut flush = "best flush"

but its not the nutz if something better out there

hojediade

hojediade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO
"The Nuts" is the best had at the time of flop,turn, or river
"The absolute Nuts" is when the hand can not be beat no mater what the turn, or river holds.
:dito:​
I guess that is the right answer as you can have the nuts on the flop, then, catching a card at the turn which gives you better nuts and then improve to the river to give you the absolute nuts.

mogadown

mogadown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One quesiton: Why do they call an ace high flush the nut flush? Isn't a straight flush the nut flush?

Of course nut flush doesn't mean you have the nuts, just the best flush.

The "Nut Flush" is just that... The Best Flush. But a Flush isnt a "Straight Flush" nor is it "A Royal Flush" The "Nut Flush" is Just a Flush with the Ace High... Or... The "K" in your hand when the "A" is on the board. (and of course the "Q" in your hand if the A and K is on the board.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"The Nuts".....what exactly does it mean
Nuts = best hand possible at the time

Absolute nuts = unbeatable hand whatever cards may come on turn or river

A graphic example :D

pkrbt0.jpg

Last edited: