November 9

N

nmolliso

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you guys think of the wsop's format for the main event, where they delay the playing of the final table 3-4 months instead of playing it in July?

I understand they are trying to build drama and have extra opportunities for sponsors and such, but isn't it kind of crazy? Imagine if the NFL took a 3 month break between the regular season and the playoffs!

BenSprocket

BenSprocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I loathe it and stopped watching WSOP from the moment they made this ludicrous decision.

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've always thought it was the stupidest idea in the world.

geegeebye

geegeebye

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, not a fan. I don't even know one single name that is has made the FT this year.

M

misko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its all about the money,like everething else.More time,more sponsors...

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another one of those weird things in poker world.Its all just about the commercial aspects of it.

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only thing I hate about the WSOP

S

Superman2102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hate it. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever!

J

JLuv81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aside from the fact that they make more money from doing it that way, it gives them a chance to get to know the Nov 9 more. They can't do those interviews and fluff pieces about the players if they didn't have the break. A lot of Nov 9 go on to win or run deep in other events.
It's also a way to get more people interested in poker. For instance, if people miss the episodes on ESPN during the summer they might catch an episode of the final table in December.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's all a moot point - it obviously works for the broadcaster, and that's literally the only thing that matters.

ESPN is so important to the WSOP (and indeed poker as a whole) that if they decided they wanted all the players to wear Snuggies at the table, the WSOP should make it happen.

For all those who say they hate it an it's stupid, I'm genuinely curious: what, specifically about it do you hate?

Then consider that, and compare it to a world in which ESPN doesn't cover the WSOP at all. There would have been no Moneymaker effect, no poker boom, no huge main event fields, no expanded world series schedule, the poker world as we know it would be much, much smaller.

Then just ask yourself: which is really worse for poker? The November Nine delay, or ESPN giving up on the game?

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yup well i feel makes its anti climatic to a degree with not seeing any play of the main event i feel they has produced a big flop. oh i will watch the final if it doesnt interfere with anything that i might be doing at the time. my words to wsop and espn you blew it.