Nice hand. Or is it?

smuckenfart

smuckenfart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Poker players other than Phil Hellmuth often show respect to a nice hand or a nice play by tapping the table, or saying "nice hand", "well played", "nice bet".

But was it really a nice hand?
ie. recently made a straight flush on the river with 4 on the board and just 1 from my hand beating someone's A high flush. If both hole cards were used I'd say that's a good hand, just one is pure luck, perhaps deserved of a different type of compliment.

What constitutes a nice hand to most players? Or a nice play?

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Personally, I'm usually a bit embarrassed when I've won a hand with just one card and sometimes people say nice hand or something to me, but when I look at my cards then I think this has nothing to do with a good game, but of course you say thank you anyway out of courtesy. On the other side, of course, is that you have already received a very strong hand with just one card on the flop. And then it's up to try to get as much as possible into the pot. It happened to me once that I flopped a quadruple on the flop with only one card because three of the same got on the flop. It can therefore be very different what a beautiful hand is and what is not. If someone goes preflop Allin with 2 7 and then his full house or whatever hits the river then I don't think that played well.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice hand usually means nice hit with your sh*t play.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker players other than Phil Hellmuth often show respect to a nice hand or a nice play by tapping the table, or saying "nice hand", "well played", "nice bet".

ie. recently made a straight flush on the river with 4 on the board and just 1 from my hand beating someone's A high flush. If both hole cards were used I'd say that's a good hand, just one is pure luck, perhaps deserved of a different type of compliment.

Just because someone beats me, I never say good hand. I mean anyone can flop a good hand, so what. If they but in the effort to maximize the cards they are dealt. If you are dealt AA and go all in, that is just played. After the flop if you can get other players to fold to your bad hand or call you to your great hand and maximize your take. That's when I will say well played. Well played is a complement, good hand is a slap in the face.

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Saying, "Nice hand" is a show of good sportsmanship. Showing you courtesy, even if it really wasn't a nice hand.

G

GoodMoon90

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Praise in the form of Good cards is mostly heard when an opponent is being sarcastic towards you or how you play)

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

well, when it comes to a showdown, my hand is usually pretty solid, but there are times i get beat and i respect that! that to me is a good hand.

Maximus1980340

Maximus1980340

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
if I have a good hand, it's dummy cards count for me, I always gnaw out garbage

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good hand is what the poker site gave us, we didn't do anything, we were just given a good hand with which you can lose to a bad hand, you need to focus on a good game, where, for example, you took a big pot with a bluff, or when you have a nats, to show the opponent that there is nothing and force him to do bet or go all-in
and Phil Helmut's tapping on the table and some beautiful words are just ostentatious politeness, I'm sure Phil when he loses and says "good hand", he inside himself would not mind taking this pot himself

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, a good hand is determined by rare combinations. Like Royal Flush, Straight Flush or four of a kind. Everything else is the usual combination of cards.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is respect in poker. Sometimes we lose everything, it's impossible to win all hands and all the olins. If a player played well, why not give him some respect, no matter how painful it is. Especially if you have played with a player many times and will play many more times.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
More often than not I will comment a player on having/making a hand that bested me. It's more than just a courtesy it's a civil gesture to invite them in to hopefully do it again so I can figure out and make the correct read.
As far as winning a pot w/a less than flop worthy hand, that is poker, imo. In other words there are no bad hands, just winners and losers.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Nice hand mean nice hand.......i just say if you win with pair of 2 its not nice hand but if you win with flush and full house that is nice hand......whatever how you hit them

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
what ever the hand you win with even if it's a low hand

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Usually players say this when they lose a hand. Probably out of respect for the opponent

N

Nusya

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A good hand is one that wins. It doesn't matter what she looks like.:7s4::2c4:

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And the term "good hand" has a good meaning. But that doesn't mean that most players nowadays say it sarcastically or feigning cordiality in the face of their opponent's bizarre play.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands