Netbooks

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I strongly advise against the celeron, you will be happy with it at first, but as soon as your get some programs loaded on, you'll be disappointed.

G

ggfish01

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
netbook = bad
notebook = good

avoid getting netbook at all costs

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm now ur making me think twice about it lol have u personally or known somebody that has had it?

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, and it is old technology. If you're going to buy something used for a great deal, then buy a celeron, but if you're going to spend the extra money for new, then get something worth paying for. You know the saying "You get what you pay for"? It definitely applies here.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya that is true. Something to definetly think about now. I am glad that netbooks are over and done with for me lol there just Soooo small. I'm joy going to hav this laptop for a couple ears then probably get a new one which is why I don't wanna spend alot on something

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ya that is true. Something to definetly think about now. I am glad that netbooks are over and done with for me lol there just Soooo small. I'm joy going to hav this laptop for a couple ears then probably get a new one which is why I don't wanna spend alot on something
Trust us -- if this is a laptop you're going to be living with for the next couple of years, expecting to do serious school work, watch movies, play video games, and multi-table poker while running HEM/PT3 and a lot of other software, then avoid the Celeron. It's simply too underpowered to be enjoyable for long.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also, realistically, most computers don't last very long to begin with. I'd say a very good amount of time to get out of a computer is about 4 or 5 years. After that, the hardware becomes dated to the workload required, the computer becomes slow, etc. I have built 4 of my own computers, the main one of which I use has been used for the last 7 years, but it has been a work in progress. I am constantly upgrading, whether it be the motherboard, CPU, RAM, (I don't know how many HD's I have gone through). So whether you get a really good laptop or a middle of the road one, it will probably be replaced within the next 4-7 years anyway, so it's a matter of how well you want your computing experience to be until that time. If you buy a good one now, you might not have to get a new one as quickly because the components won't be outdated as fast.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, realistically, most computers don't last very long to begin with. I'd say a very good amount of time to get out of a computer is about 4 or 5 years. After that, the hardware becomes dated to the workload required, the computer becomes slow, etc. I have built 4 of my own computers, the main one of which I use has been used for the last 7 years, but it has been a work in progress. I am constantly upgrading, whether it be the motherboard, CPU, RAM, (I don't know how many HD's I have gone through). So whether you get a really good laptop or a middle of the road one, it will probably be replaced within the next 4-7 years anyway, so it's a matter of how well you want your computing experience to be until that time. If you buy a good one now, you might not have to get a new one as quickly because the components won't be outdated as fast.

Ya that is true. I trust u guys but I don't get why the toshiba one I mentioned above grts so much positive reviews from it. All I'm looking for is a laptop that will be able to run online poker efficiently and multi table along with just using Microsoft or some program for school work. That's why I dont think I need the extra money for a better end of a intel or something along the lines of that

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be careful going by reviews alone. What are the reviewers using it for? Probably 80% of laptop consumers are surfing the web, sending email, maybe playing a flash game or two, writing a Word doc, and streaming the occasional low-definition movie. For that a Celeron would be fine and thus it wouldn't impact reviews much. Also, most reviews are written right after buying a product, when the "consumer high" is going strong. People want to like what they just bought. Over time, however, the "new" will wear off and they'll start to notice things they don't like. But they seldom come back and edit the review they wrote a year ago.

If you plan to get serious about poker, and intend to multi-table, you'll eventually want HEM/PT3 and a HUD. Now you're running a local, full-blown database server, and HUD overlays over all your tables. These are resource hogs. And if you have more than a few tables on a laptop screen, you'll wind up wanting to run some table management utility like TableNinja or AHK scripts, which also tend to be CPU intensive. Not to mention the non-poker related stuff you will no doubt try to do, like watch some hi-def movies or play a video game or whatever. And on top of that you'll try to multi-task and do a couple of resource-intensive things at once. On a Celeron, forget it.

Hamm and I both work in the IT field. I've been building and programming computers for well over 20 years. We're giving you some strong advice on what to look for and what to avoid, based on what you've told us you want to do. In the end it's your money (presumably) and your choice, but you can't say we didn't warn you. I would encourage you to hold out for a couple hundred more bucks and get something you'll still be happy with in a year or two. Black Friday is just around the corner and there are always some killer laptop deals to be found.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya u guys are helping me alottttt and I really appreciate it. Wat is HEM/PT3 and HUD? I'm sorry if its a stupid question but I'm trying to learn it all so I can understand what the number and letters mean on descriptions lol

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I completely forgot about the fact that Black Friday is coming. I'm not sure if you're in the US or not WSOP13, but that would most definitely be something worth waiting for.

PT3 is PokerTracker3 and HEM is Holdem Manager. They are both pieces of tracking software which will basically save your hand histories so that you can analyze your and your opponents playing tendencies to find leaks in the game after your sessions. They also have what is called a HUD, or HeadsUp Display, which will overlay some very important stats that will give you info on how they are playing. There are a lot more detailed threads on here that explain what all they do, so I would encourage you to look into it. A good place to start would be https://www.cardschat.com/poker-strategy.php#

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh on I thought they were computer terms. If those r goingto slow a celeron down then I will seriously look into buying a higher grade laptop

I love being able to post more than 7 things a day lol I can actually talk to people and learn some stuff