Nerves in poker

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the nervous state only aggravates everything and negatively affects the game.
I teach myself to take everything calmly and with dignity. I have no one to blame only myself for my defeat.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea it is difficult to control nerves so I smoke a cigar. Works every time.

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn how to meditate, then learn how to micro meditate, like during the five minute breaks you get during mtts. I promise you this will help. But you should also just try to play as much as you possibly can. The more you play and the more experience you get, the less of an impact your nerves will have on your play and your mental state. Learning to play your best game while keeping a calm mental state is not easy, and it takes a lot of practice. So one way to approach this problem would be to look at each instance where you are really nervous or emotional about a game or bad beat as an opportunity to practice keeping yourself calm and mentally tough.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something that affects us all in poker are the nerves would like to know what do you normally do in the face of nervous situations in poker so that it does not affect your game.

Suppose you have a hand with 60% probability of winning. What does it means? It means you can win 60% of the time. It also means you can lose up to 40% of the remaining time if things went wrong. Almost all hands can go down.

When you are in a nervous situation just think of what worse can happen? you might lose the pot. Mentally accept that thing and you won't feel nervous any more because you have nothing more to lose.

Nervousness comes when there is a fear of losing something. When you accept the loss mentally your fear goes away and your nerves starts functioning normally.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As stated before, PATIENCE!!!!!!

S

SlowRollAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy listening to some gaming music and always have some healthy snacks to avoid getting hungry.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often wonder is it nerves (like when i drink a cup of coffee) or gets heads up, and the adrenaline starts flowing,. or is that nerves too. I cant come down for hours after a big win, but i can take a walk around the house, when its just nerves, and center myself.

IlyaSavinov

IlyaSavinov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I realized that the most important thing in poker is patience.

JohnnyBoy928

JohnnyBoy928

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Thread!

This is something we all work on every game because this is what produces the "tells" for other players to figure out...

Like one member said... "Patience" I also feel is the key... Patience to learn self-control and formulate a posture that maintains (at least appears this way) that you are calm and controlled throughout the entire game or showdown...

I believe this is something we all work on all the time... Always adapting to new situations and new players...

At least that is what I think... Whatever that is worth... lol ;)

P

paulw

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my early years of poker, when picking AA up in a live game, I remember that I thought I was getting dangerously close to a serious health problem, my heart would absolutely pound and race, and the more someone took their time against me the worse it got, to the point I thought I was very near to passing out, but I never did lol, and now after many years of playing live, it does not bother me one bit.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to drink 100 grams of brandy and relax:)

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nerves passed today when out of 3444 people I took on PS only 9th place, where they gave only 1 ticket.
offensive and nervous.
but still found the strength to not really grieve and try to go on no matter what .DSC 0002
I think I'm not the only one in a situation with nerves))))
there are a lot of such defeats every day and we all need very strong nerves to cope with it.
right friends?))))

S

SweetLemonz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People do loads of different things to stop nerves , some people take a shot or 2 of whiskey/vodka , some people just have a chat on the table and other just listen to music and keep to themselves. :)

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now I remember already getting ridiculous, I used to do deep breaths, or squeeze, and now with the experience all the much easier, you need to perform a hand which lost, will come understanding, and with it peace of mind.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now I remember already getting ridiculous, I used to do deep breaths, or squeeze, and now with the experience all the much easier, you need to perform a hand which lost, will come understanding, and with it peace of mind.

Of all the online players I know (including me), noone said that poker was benefic overall for their nerves... Including my mother-in-law starting to swear and me getting the signs of heart attack (exagerating a bit, but my heart start pounding like crazy) when I play big pots or getting bad beats.

But, the few times I played live (even with strangers), those bad things never showed up. It's like seeing the face that gives me bad beats is enough for me to calm down. I don't know why. I give hand shake to the opponent who killed me.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, Yes, there is, playing online, when no one sees us, we give vent to feelings

Gyry

Gyry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i play online poker sometimes i can give way to emotions. but I try to cultivate it and take it more calmly. say to myself - comedown, its happens sometime. in a real game, for some reason I don’t think about it. because it is focused on the game, and even if I muffle, I don’t scream or tear hair on my head, but I think why I lost, where my mistake is

A

anderson697

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think that more than nerves, it would be the fear of being eliminated, or thinking that your best hands can be defeated, usually you should remain calm in any situation, having strong hands, make the boat grow to obtain good profits and make grow your stack, and sometimes make a good bluff but be careful with it, vary your game techniques do not always keep the same as your opponents know how to read and thus dominate your game.:cool::cool::cool:

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the nerves to fight. Alcohol helps a little. Most importantly know when to stop.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say a "I f...." sound and hit the table with my fists.

D

DjDen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi, it's hard to cope with nerves when you are constantly moving, I turn on calm music and try to leave bad thoughts behind and think that the days will be good and you should not despair ...